Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...the-first-time/ar-BBEirJJ?ocid=ob-fb-enus-280

Scientists have successfully teleported an object from Earth to space for the first time, paving the way for more ambitious and futuristic breakthroughs.

A team of researchers in China sent a photon from the ground to an orbiting satellite more than 300 miles above through a process known as quantum entanglement, according to MIT Technology Review. It’s the farthest distance tested so far in teleportation experiments, the researchers said. Their work was published online on the open access site arXiv.

For about a month, the scientists beamed up millions of photons from their ground station in Tibet to the low-orbiting satellite. They were successful in more than 900 cases.

“This work establishes the first ground-to-satellite up-link for faithful and ultra-long-distance quantum teleportation, an essential step toward global-scale quantum Internet,” the team said in a statement, according to MIT Technology Review.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Back before Neil deGrasse Tyson was a house hold name, there was a show on the science channel - mid-2ks or so - that looked at future technology. Back they a single photon was being teleported cross lab. He said the amount of data to teleport a human would fill up enough dvd's to fill up the Empire state building. And they'd still have to be put back together in the correct sequence.

We've still got a loooooong ways to go. ;)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back before Neil deGrasse Tyson was a house hold name, there was a show on the science channel - mid-2ks or so - that looked at future technology. Back they a single photon was being teleported cross lab. He said the amount of data to teleport a human would fill up enough dvd's to fill up the Empire state building. And they'd still have to be put back together in the correct sequence.

We've still got a loooooong ways to go. ;)

...Hence, if it requires, say, a thousand years to fit for easy flight a bird which started with rudimentary wings, or ten thousand for one with started with no wings at all and had to sprout them ab initio, it might be assumed that the flying machine which will really fly might be evolved by the combined and continuous efforts of mathematicians and mechanicians in from one million to ten million years–provided, of course, we can meanwhile eliminate such little drawbacks and embarrassments as the existing relation between weight and strength in inorganic materials...

New York Times - October 9, 1903

Guess what happened eight weeks later? :)

I'm not saying we're weeks away, but things can happen fast if the right (Wright?) people put their minds to it.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Big difference between getting air to flow right over a flat surface for lift vs moving a incomprehensible about of atoms from one place to another in perfect order. It may (hopefully) happen, but not in our lifetime.

Heck Da Vinci imagined flying machines and how long did it take until the Wright Bro's actually did it?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big difference between getting air to flow right over a flat surface for lift vs moving a incomprehensible about of atoms from one place to another in perfect order. It may (hopefully) happen, but not in our lifetime.

Heck Da Vinci imagined flying machines and how long did it take until the Wright Bro's actually did it?

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."

-Richard Bach

All manners of tech would seem impossible if you go back even a little ways in time. Yes, it's going to be challenging, but we are always one discovery away from pulling back the curtain and making magic a reality.

Before I start sounding too utopian, the way we're headed, we probably won't make it past Trump's term. :eek:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting and so I googled Quantum Entanglement to find out exactly what that means, and now my brain hurts. Stupid science. :p

Errntknght

Reaction score
I have a vague idea of entanglement, having read a couple of books about it. From my understanding what entanglement allows you to do is send a single bit of information between two entangled electrons - in zero time. A bunch of entangled pairs could send a longer message, of course, but how it becomes teleportation of any physical thing is a mystery to me. In laboratories they have have manipulated photons to move faster than the speed of light but the speed was still finite while the speed of the entanglement signal is infinite. I guess I'd better googled teleportation to see what that's about...

Errntknght

Reaction score
I found an explanation...
Both Munro and Wiseman noted that often people think of teleportation as moving an actual object (or a photon) form one place to another. "People have this 'Star Trek' approach," Munro said. "They think of atoms being teleported. What we're moving is information from one [quantum] bit to another [quantum] bit. There's no matter — only information. That's hard to get your head around."

Getting my head around information teleportation is much easier than around teleporting something physical.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I found an explanation...
Both Munro and Wiseman noted that often people think of teleportation as moving an actual object (or a photon) form one place to another. "People have this 'Star Trek' approach," Munro said. "They think of atoms being teleported. What we're moving is information from one [quantum] bit to another [quantum] bit. There's no matter — only information. That's hard to get your head around."

Getting my head around information teleportation is much easier than around teleporting something physical.

So what happened in these guys dont know how to invent teleportation. So they changed the definition to fit whatever BS they are working on.

No, geeks, teleportation is the Star Trek version. Actual physical objects. If you cant do it, then stop trying to claim you can.

Moving information? I "teleport" information 100x daily on my phone.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I suspect the scientists that talked about it gave an accurate picture of what was going on but the press wanted to make it more exciting so they jazzed it up a bit. For starters, the article said 'teleporting a photon' and yet when we teleport information, i.e. tramist it via radio waves or light waves, photons are carrying the information so they're the instrument making teleportation happen. So what does it even mean to teleport a photon? Is it different than transmitting a photon, which is done all the time as you said.

I think what happened since quiantum entanglement was involved, it was probably an increase in the distance between the two entangled enties (electrons, would be my guess) and flipping the spin state of the near one, caused the remote one to flip as well - at the same time, exactly the same time. Physicists have been extending the distance over which this is observed since quantum entanglement was proved to exist.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this video that gets into the idea of entanglement a little bit and how important it will be in the development of quantum computing. Very exciting tech at the earliest of stages. I love this presentation because it's starts from a child's understanding all the way through to a professional's level. Hold on tightly. :eek:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson