Sarver is threatening to move the Suns to Seattle or Las Vegas

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
What renovations are being asked for? Are they only for the Suns who play 40-45 times a year there? Do all the other venues, concerts etc benefit from this? I have looked for this information and cannot find it. How can anyone have a valued opinion without these facts?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What renovations are being asked for? Are they only for the Suns who play 40-45 times a year there? Do all the other venues, concerts etc benefit from this? I have looked for this information and cannot find it. How can anyone have a valued opinion without these facts?

It's a good question but I don't even know why the arena is considered out of date? I know it's the oldest or thereabouts but it's not like it's falling down or anything. Don't get me wrong, I accept the position that it needs to be updated but I'm taking it mostly on faith because of comments I've read from players and others, I've seen no facts to support it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The arena needs to get done. The question do we want to lose an NBA team before it happens.
Quite a bit I believe. I'm not sure but I think that's a lot of what Dudley was referring to when he said our facilities were at (or near?) the bottom.

I remember the practice court was the big thing when the arena was constructed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the practice court was the big thing when the arena was constructed.

Yeah, but apparently the league has gone the other way on practice facilities. They all seem to want a site that is away from the arena now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but apparently the league has gone the other way on practice facilities. They all seem to want a site that is away from the arena now.

I'm sure so the Suns can drive across the street.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I know it's the oldest or thereabouts but it's not like it's falling down or anything.
older, but not oldest:

Oracle 1966
MSG 1967
Bradley Ctr 1988
Target Ctr 1990
Delta Ctr 1991
AWA AAA TSA 1992
Quicken Loans 1994
United Ctr 1994
TD Garden 1995

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
older, but not oldest:

Oracle 1966
MSG 1967
Bradley Ctr 1988
Target Ctr 1990
Delta Ctr 1991
AWA AAA TSA 1992
Quicken Loans 1994
United Ctr 1994
TD Garden 1995

All or most of those are already being replaced or have undergone recent major renovations. The Oracle, for example, will be replaced by a new arena next year I believe.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Some of this being renovated now haven't had prior pulled of cash dumped into them

There is also the mechanism about who is paying for it - most aren't majority public funds

Then you have buildings that came in before the sun's renovation that

They need to account for what they want to do and why.

Age is a superficial reason

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is by far the greatest thing that's related to the Suns you will see this season. Not some Booker shot or Ayton dunk or whatever...this. To me, it rivals Booker's 70 pt game as the best two highlights of the past 3-4 seasons.

Go Greta!

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
All or most of those are already being replaced or have undergone recent major renovations. The Oracle, for example, will be replaced by a new arena next year I believe.
Well, we'll adjust the list in 2019.

TSA was renovated to "like new" condition in 2003. So for a fan experience, it's 16 years old. You consider that dated?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we'll adjust the list in 2019.

TSA was renovated to "like new" condition in 2003. So for a fan experience, it's 16 years old. You consider that dated?

I don't. I have no idea why these arenas need to be updated every decade or so and replaced every 20 years or so. It sounds insane to me. But I know I don't know what I'm talking about because players and analysts keep making comments about how quickly these places become outdated.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
It's not that old for and NBA building - or was just ahead of the big boom when teams replaced their legacy stadiums

After that round, the arena was upgraded to account for the items missed and it was in line with all those in that boom

Now there is the next wave, so time to keep up with the Joneses again

6 arenas were built between '94 and '97

7 opened in '99 alone

4 more current arenas opened before the Suns completed their major renovations

A handful more opened just after.

Their current building isn't drastically out of line with over half the league

So it's incumbent upon them to communicate what they need the money for - especially since they want the public to pay for the majority of it

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
City of Phoenix may be the culprit. Same issues are going on with the D backs. If they don't watch it they will lose both and downtown will be no more. It will be empty. Only so many people go to science center and Arizona center. Either you you help pay or you lose the source for all the people that fund those downtown business

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's quite sad when a 70 year old lady knows more about building a winning basketball team than some guy who has been sitting courtside for the last 15 years and in that time he's also been privy to every deal the team has made before they've been made official and signed off on those moves also.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not that old for and NBA building - or was just ahead of the big boom when teams replaced their legacy stadiums

After that round, the arena was upgraded to account for the items missed and it was in line with all those in that boom

Now there is the next wave, so time to keep up with the Joneses again

6 arenas were built between '94 and '97

7 opened in '99 alone

4 more current arenas opened before the Suns completed their major renovations

A handful more opened just after.

Their current building isn't drastically out of line with over half the league

So it's incumbent upon them to communicate what they need the money for - especially since they want the public to pay for the majority of it
You are just flat wrong with it not being out of line. Ask any player, team exec, or visiting media. Simple declarations by a fan do not make it so.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Visiting players and media are irrelevant to fans and taxpayers - a lot of their experience is related to how the Suns run their business and how comfortable things are made for them. Media members in particular tend to be high maintenance and knock buildings because of items like hospitality.

The stadium absolutely is in line with the majority of the league.

If there are areas that need to be improved, which I absolutely believe to be the case, then account for them.

If you go to the public and ask for money, then provide an accounting for what you want to do.

Just leaving on age and pretending like the building was built in the 60s doesn't cut it

Trying to push this through quietly without public discussion with a lame duck mayor doesn't cut it

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Visiting players and media are irrelevant to fans and taxpayers - a lot of their experience is related to how the Suns run their business and how comfortable things are made for them. Media members in particular tend to be high maintenance and knock buildings because of items like hospitality.

The stadium absolutely is in line with the majority of the league.

If there are areas that need to be improved, which I absolutely believe to be the case, then account for them.

If you go to the public and ask for money, then provide an accounting for what you want to do.

Just leaving on age and pretending like the building was built in the 60s doesn't cut it

Trying to push this through quietly without public discussion with a lame duck mayor doesn't cut it
Ask our local media. Ask anyone who knows what league standard is? Go to the bathroom in the building and see how much of the building is out of date and dysfunctional? You are just displaying ignorance here.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You are just flat wrong with it not being out of line. Ask any player, team exec, or visiting media. Simple declarations by a fan do not make it so.

I'm pretty sure your chest-thumping on a message board counts as "simple declarations by a fan." You talk about replacing the carpet and refrigerator like that's the kind of renovation that is under discussion.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
City of Phoenix may be the culprit. Same issues are going on with the D backs. If they don't watch it they will lose both and downtown will be no more. It will be empty. Only so many people go to science center and Arizona center. Either you you help pay or you lose the source for all the people that fund those downtown business

This is what pro sports teams asking for new stadiums want you to believe. They’re a piece of the puzzle, but the residential, employment, university, and transit development downtown is not contingent on the Suns and D’Backs—nor will it leave if they do.

I’m a lifelong fan and want them to stay as well. But there are much larger forces at play, and most people aren’t actually big pro sports fans.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Ask our local media. Ask anyone who knows what league standard is? Go to the bathroom in the building and see how much of the building is out of date and dysfunctional? You are just displaying ignorance here.

Clearly you have all this information. Care to link to this comprehensive study?

How many media/players have you individually surveyed?

What is their exact point of contention?

I've been to the bathrooms many times. They see like bathrooms in every other NBA stadium I've been in. It isn't like the bathroom situation at SDS or Wrigley.

What specifically about the bathrooms need improvement to you? How much would that cost?

Why are you opposed to a tenant that is requesting money for betterments actually having to outline the cost and detail of what those betterments are and why they are needed?

You don't get a check for $150m on the basis of age when over half the buildings in the league were built within the decade of TSRA opening up and the time when it was renovated

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard