Sandwich chain Subway will be sold to fast-food investor Roark Capital

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Haven't been to a Subway in ages. The couple of them close to us really sucked, brain dead help, dirty tables & floors, etc., etc.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A while back we got a page of Subway coupons in the mail. We hadn't been to one in years despite one being around the corner. The coupons were good enough to motivate us to give them another chance. We ended up trying them at two locations on different days and neither would accept the coupons. So we just threw them away and haven't considered going again since.

Jersey Mike's is the best sub chain IMO. They're eating Subway's lunch.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A while back we got a page of Subway coupons in the mail. We hadn't been to one in years despite one being around the corner. The coupons were good enough to motivate us to give them another chance. We ended up trying them at two locations on different days and neither would accept the coupons. So we just threw them away and haven't considered going again since.

Jersey Mike's is the best sub chain IMO. They're eating Subway's lunch.

My one purchase from Jersey Mike's was an absurdist experience. They asked if I wanted the sub "Mike's way," which is some idiosyncratic collection of condiments and toppings no one would come up with on their own. To get what I wanted, I had to specify how each add-on conformed to or differed from "Mike's way." And that was the information conveyed to the staff, who of course also lacked any intuitive sense for what "Mike's way" should be, so it was a quagmire of confusion. The sub was fine, but any "fast food" place with such a cumbersome ordering experience is not going to have a place in my rotation.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My one purchase from Jersey Mike's was an absurdist experience. They asked if I wanted the sub "Mike's way," which is some idiosyncratic collection of condiments and toppings no one would come up with on their own. To get what I wanted, I had to specify how each add-on conformed to or differed from "Mike's way." And that was the information conveyed to the staff, who of course also lacked any intuitive sense for what "Mike's way" should be, so it was a quagmire of confusion. The sub was fine, but any "fast food" place with such a cumbersome ordering experience is not going to have a place in my rotation.
Mikes way isn’t rocket science though. Oil and vinegar, herbs, lettuce, tomato and onions.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Interesting, I've never had that experience. I just tell them what I want, or don't want and they seem to nail it every time. As far as the big chains are concerned, IMO they are far and away the best. I'd give them a slight edge over Goodcents.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikes way isn’t rocket science though. Oil and vinegar, herbs, lettuce, tomato and onions.

Gotta go Mike's way, light on the juice. They drench the subs. I add pickles too.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I just can't imagine devoting memory space to that information.
Just say no on Mike's way and tell them how you want your sandwich made. But it sounds like the experience soured you on them.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first time at Mike’s I was intrigued by Mike’s Way so I got it (sans onions). I was sure it was too much liquid because it looks like they just douse the sandwich. Surely the bread would be soaked and fall apart. But I was dead wrong, and I really like their sandwiches. I don’t get how it works, but that’s how I get it.

Screw Subway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn