Running Back Is a Huge Missing Piece

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Watching Cam Akers yesterday really showed what a difference young fresh legs make. We need a dynamic running threat to take the pressure off K1. Whatever changes we need to make to the interior line to make that work should be a priority with our current roster and free agency. I have never been a believer in drafting a RB high but this year I might do it because Kyler's rookie contract isn't here forever. I know we need to address CB and WR but a RB that can actually punch in 1 yrd whenever you need it will put points on the board and turn all those failed redzone trips from 3 into 7. It will convert more 3rd downs and keep the defense off the field.

I know McShay mocked Etienne to us but I think a Najee Harris at at 6'2" 230lbs and 4.5 40 would be a Travis Henry type addition. He can do it all including block. Etienne at 5'10" 212 and a 4.5 40 could be great but I'll take the extra size. If we wait til R2 or R3 who could provide that kind of impact? Javonte Williams is great receiver but smaller and young so more of a project in pass pro. Hubbard declined. Herbert was a late bloomer and not that great an athlete.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching Cam Akers yesterday really showed what a difference young fresh legs make. We need a dynamic running threat to take the pressure off K1. Whatever changes we need to make to the interior line to make that work should be a priority with our current roster and free agency. I have never been a believer in drafting a RB high but this year I might do it because Kyler's rookie contract isn't here forever. I know we need to address CB and WR but a RB that can actually punch in 1 yrd whenever you need it will put points on the board and turn all those failed redzone trips from 3 into 7. It will convert more 3rd downs and keep the defense off the field.

I know McShay mocked Etienne to us but I think a Najee Harris at at 6'2" 230lbs and 4.5 40 would be a Travis Henry type addition. He can do it all including block. Etienne at 5'10" 212 and a 4.5 40 could be great but I'll take the extra size. If we wait til R2 or R3 who could provide that kind of impact? Javonte Williams is great receiver but smaller and young so more of a project in pass pro. Hubbard declined. Herbert was a late bloomer and not that great an athlete.

Great post. We definitely need younger legs at RB. I love Najee Harris. I see him being an absolute stud in the NFL.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Drake was completely useless down the stretch. I know its not all his fault but the times, Oline managed to open up holes he would be running to sideline instead smh

OP
OP
Reddog

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
100% a huge need.

Drake is serviceable but that’s it. He’s not explosive at all and brings zero big play threat.

Harris is my round 2 target he’s going to be there.

Another consideration is cost. Drake cost us 8.5M this year while the 2020 #16 pick (A.J. Terrell) cap hit was 2.6M. Assume the slotting numbers will be even lower this year with the lower cap. If we do go round one that is a marginal savings of 6m or slightly less for another impact FA RB. As much as I don't believe in P2 that money can be added to whatever number you would pay a #1 FA CB and used to resign him and you draft another corner in R2 or R3. I doubt P2 is willing to sign a deal for his current worth so that probably doesn't happen. You can apply that same money to other top FA needs (WR, OL, LB).

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Another consideration is cost. Drake cost us 8.5M this year while the 2020 #16 pick (A.J. Terrell) cap hit was 2.6M. Assume the slotting numbers will be even lower this year with the lower cap. If we do go round one that is a marginal savings of 6m or slightly less for another impact FA RB. As much as I don't believe in P2 that money can be added to whatever number you would pay a #1 FA CB and used to resign him and you draft another corner in R2 or R3. I doubt P2 is willing to sign a deal for his current worth so that probably doesn't happen. You can apply that same money to other top FA needs (WR, OL, LB).
Very good reasoning and I appreciate it. I think free agency will tell us a bit about how the draft may unfold.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Totally agree a power RB with speed would take a lot of heat off Murray. Finito has a good choice in Harris but more people I talk with have him ahead of Etienne since the last Clemson game. Harris makes his own holes. It seems likely he won’t last. Sermon will be there. Athletically he fits, but he waited until late in the season to look like an impact player. He should work if an RB in the second round is what you want.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally agree a power RB with speed would take a lot of heat off Murray. Finito has a good choice in Harris but more people I talk with have him ahead of Etienne since the last Clemson game. Harris makes his own holes. It seems likely he won’t last. Sermon will be there. Athletically he fits, but he waited until late in the season to look like an impact player. He should work if an RB in the second round is what you want.

what do you think about Chubba Hubbard Harry

Led the nation in rushing last year with 2200 yards, this year was a mess and he decided to leave to the team after Mike Gundy came out as a Trump right wing nut.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

This is where I am. We will need the extra dollars next year and a RB can be a place where we reduce cap cost.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sign me up for one of the two, a slight preference for Etienne. Maybe we could trade back a few spots if a QB falls and relevant CBs go before we pick.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% a huge need.

Drake is serviceable but that’s it. He’s not explosive at all and brings zero big play threat.

Harris is my round 2 target he’s going to be there.

Drake has had his moments. I think one of his first carries ever as a Cardinal was an 80-yard burst for a TD. Then there was this from better times just last October:

He's had other decent runs, too, but is often misused by Kliff and just run straight up the middle into a defense stacked to stop the run. That's clearly not his strength.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drake has had his moments. I think one of his first carries ever as a Cardinal was an 80-yard burst for a TD. Then there was this from better times just last October:

He's had other decent runs, too, but is often misused by Kliff and just run straight up the middle into a defense stacked to stop the run. That's clearly not his strength.

Drake being average is Kliffs fault to now

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

No, Drake's 80 yarder came against Seattle in week 15. But he did have some decent runs against the 49ers in his first game with the Cards before 4 games under 70 yards (3 of those 4 under 40), for 0 TDs rushing and receiving.

Drake has had three coaches to be mediocre under. He is what he is. Sorta like Kliff is what he is.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll do you one better Reddog. Watching Chubb and Hunt put on a clinic was the stuff of dreams for Cardinals fans. They made Baker's job pure cake and broke the will of the Steelers methodically. Could you imagine if Kyler had that kind of production?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Id go Kylin Hill in the 4th or 5th. Its long been my draft stance that you draft a RB every 2 years in the 3-5 round and you are pretty much set. If I were a gm it would be my strategy, use up a pretty serviceable RB on a rookie deal, and have another one ready in the wings.

RB's are too replaceable to warrant big money in FA.

We did it with Chase. We have gotten some good play out of him for his draft pick. I thought we might have gotten a steal in Eno, but apparently he didnt show much of anything.

I would go into next year with Chase and a Rookie as the main guys.

On short yardage, nothing will change until we improve the interior line...but I would also seriously look at Leki Fotu working as a short yardage back. He has an extensive rugby background, and is one of the largest, strongest dudes in the NFL.

3rd and 1 could potentially be a no brainer.

Harry

Reaction score
what do you think about Chubba Hubbard Harry

Led the nation in rushing last year with 2200 yards, this year was a mess and he decided to leave to the team after Mike Gundy came out as a Trump right wing nut.

Well the Cards fo seem to have a thing for Canadian born players. His stock has dropped since he quit the season right after OSU’s 2nd loss. Add in his average yds per carry was down leaving some observers to question his motives. I once had him in my top 5 RBs. He could fall as far as the 4th round, but the Cards have no pick in that round. So the question is would I spend the third. I hate to equivocate but I’d rather wait & see his workouts. If I had to go RB today I’d take Service in round 2. .

Harry

Reaction score
Id go Kylin Hill in the 4th or 5th. Its long been my draft stance that you draft a RB every 2 years in the 3-5 round and you are pretty much set. If I were a gm it would be my strategy, use up a pretty serviceable RB on a rookie deal, and have another one ready in the wings.

RB's are too replaceable to warrant big money in FA.

We did it with Chase. We have gotten some good play out of him for his draft pick. I thought we might have gotten a steal in Eno, but apparently he didnt show much of anything.

I would go into next year with Chase and a Rookie as the main guys.

On short yardage, nothing will change until we improve the interior line...but I would also seriously look at Leki Fotu working as a short yardage back. He has an extensive rugby background, and is one of the largest, strongest dudes in the NFL.

3rd and 1 could potentially be a no brainer.

No 4th round pick

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I can't hide my love for Najee. Scrambling young QB and big tough fast RB is what the best teams look like in the 2020's. We have one piece. No reason at all to not complete the package. We are a playoff team with Najee. No other pick in R1 won't raise the bar that much or makes as much sense. There are lots of guys you can get in draft, FA, and trades to fill in other needs. But when a Henry or Chubb type RB on a rookie contract for 5 years is staring you in the face, you don't pass on him.

We will see how much sense our GM has when our pick comes. Personally I wouldn't even consider a trade down if Najee is there for us to take. Easy pick, just make it and applaud your choice.

You won't need to give KK more than 1 more year if you give him all he could ever want in Murray, Hopkins, and Harris. If he can't make it work with those 3 studs on the same team, then it is time to get a new coach. And just imagine the OCs out there that would drool to take over a team with those 3 guys to work with.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I was all for a trade up to get Dobbins in round 2 last year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't hide my love for Najee. Scrambling young QB and big tough fast RB is what the best teams look like in the 2020's. We have one piece. No reason at all to not complete the package. We are a playoff team with Najee. No other pick in R1 won't raise the bar that much or makes as much sense. There are lots of guys you can get in draft, FA, and trades to fill in other needs. But when a Henry or Chubb type RB on a rookie contract for 5 years is staring you in the face, you don't pass on him.

We will see how much sense our GM has when our pick comes. Personally I wouldn't even consider a trade down if Najee is there for us to take. Easy pick, just make it and applaud your choice.

You won't need to give KK more than 1 more year if you give him all he could ever want in Murray, Hopkins, and Harris. If he can't make it work with those 3 studs on the same team, then it is time to get a new coach. And just imagine the OCs out there that would drool to take over a team with those 3 guys to work with.

I wouldn’t take a RB in round 1 as much as I love Harris. RB is pretty easy to find through out the draft. I honestly think he’s there in round 2 as good as he is he’s not in that upper class of Bama running backs we’ve seen, not because Harris isn’t good it’s just they have had ridiculous talent at that position.

my absolute DREAM

Pick 16: Pitts/ Devonta Smith/ Waddle

Round 2: Najee Harris

Sign Scherff/Thuney

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
my absolute DREAM

Pick 16: Pitts/ Devonta Smith/ Waddle

Round 2: Najee Harris

Sign Scherff/Thuney

In a dream, that would be mine too. But we would have to be in the top 10 or so picks in both rounds to have that happen. I believe Smith will be gone by 16 and Harris gone before we get to our R2 pick. Shame, isn't it. But I like the way you dream.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave