****Rumor July 1st is the target date*****

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like it! As I posted previously, why play them all in Arizona Cactus League Spring Training parks and not also in Florida Grapefruit League Spring Training parks?
The only problem could be the prevalence in rain on the East coast. Maybe they just cancel rained out games, being that it will be an abbreviated season anyway.

It continues the concept of Leagues and Divisions. And I like that it would incorporate the universal Designated Hitter concept, which I've opposed from the start,
but have given in to, considering every pro and school league throughout the world (except the U.S. National League and in Japan) is using it. This could be the
motivator to make it permanent going forward.

And it has the availability of Major League domed stadiums in both the Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues for all post-season play.

Congratulations to MLB for being one of the few bureaucracies in our country to use common sense.

And as a D-backs fan, it would put us in a Division with the Giants, Rockies, A's and Cubs. Not the Dodgers. Cool!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to create divisions? Just have the standings like they are in spring training, one giant mess and have that kind of fun with it.

Interesting on the full DH rule.

I still think we are so far away from a season that this is foolishness but the all AZ plan makes more sense to me in the age of COVID

I am sure they are considering 20 different plans.

As far as divisions, I think they want to limit travel - so having more games against your division than non-division would accomplish that. The divisions are grouped by where they have their facilities (AZ/CO share one, SF is a few miles south, a few more miles to CHC, and a couple miles from there to OAK's.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As far as divisions, I think they want to limit travel - so having more games against your division than non-division would accomplish that. The divisions are grouped by where they have their facilities (AZ/CO share one, SF is a few miles south, a few more miles to CHC, and a couple miles from there to OAK's.

Certainly they have a bunch of different scenarios. You can handle the travel thing without divisions. They are just trying to create drama with the divisional format when I would really like to simply see the top teams from FL play against the top teams from AZ. This would avoid some team crashing the party simply because they won a created division that never existed.

If anything this would be a great time to experiment in this fashion and even re-seed each round or something. If you are going to use the electronic strike zone and full on DH how about really thinking outside the box?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

I think they're also trying to retain tradition by keeping the concept of Divisions.

I commend them for not wanting to throw everything out. Or create "one giant mess" as Dback Jon posted.

The talk of the universal DH and electronic ball & strike calls, however, have been on the table for a while.

I guess the HP umpire would stand six feet behind the Catcher to throw the Pitcher new balls and be a
"base" ump for runners heading home. Can a Catcher's Mask include a coronavirus mask?

Unless he is going to stand six feet behind the batter as in softball. :)

This would be an ideal opportunity to set both items up, then make it permanent when normalcy returns.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All night games would make more sense, it's only 100 degrees then. And the 'game of the day' gets to be a daylight game in the domed downtown stadium.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose