Rules changes focus of NFL meetings

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rules changes focus of NFL meetings

Instant replay and injured reserve - the NFL's IRs - will be main topics as the owners consider several rules changes at their spring meetings this week.

The Buffalo Bills have proposed having the booth official make all decisions on replay reviews instead of referees. Under another suggestion, the booth official also would be allowed to review all turnovers just as he now does for all scoring plays.

''This is a proposal that will definitely, I think, generate discussion, but I think it was directed at trying to speed it up,'' said Rich McKay, president of the Atlanta Falcons and chairman of the competition committee.

''The thing about our system is we developed our system based on our experience the last time. That's how we developed the idea that the referee would be the decision maker because we felt like he had the best ability to one, talk to the on-field official and two, have complete command of the rules and the application of them.''

Last year, the committee recommended having the booth official review all scoring plays and now it is proposing expanding his duties to all turnovers. That should help coaches in deciding when to use their challenges.

Full article: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...nges-on-instant-replay-injured-reserve-032512

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
They also need to make the kickoffs 5 yrds. deeper again to make them a viable play in the NFL. I HATE the new rule last yr. that moved kickoffs 5 yds. up. Totally takes away from one of the most exciting plays in the game. Total bull.