Rowen Out As OC/ Replaced by Mike Kruczek

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night while we were winning, I had a thought about calling out some of the doom and gloomers who predicted a slaughter (including cheese).

I appreciate the defense Crimson, but just to point out, I predicted a loss but SPECIFICALLY didn't predict a slaughter. I actually implored Shane to stay away from betting against the Cards because you should always go with the Monday Night home dogs. That spread was a no-brainer.

I never think with Matt Leinart as our QB that we'll get killed - I'll still probably believe we'll lose most of the time, but it's amazing what a great QB (with at least a couple great weapons - like Q, Fitz) can do for the competitive nature of a ball-club

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Probably the first series or two were scripted prior to the game, at least in either/or form.

So I see two options:

1. Script the entire game.
2. Let Leinart call the plays.

I vote for 2.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
So I see two options:

I vote for 2.

You do realize you're allowing a rookie QB to call his own plays, you do realize how radical that would be?

I like it.

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
So I see two options:

I vote for 2.

I prefer a combination. Script and practice the first twenty. Adapt as soon as necessary. Then go to option 2.

As I recall, Tom Landry used to do this with the Cowboys. That worked well.

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
Cheese is definitely an acquired taste BRL.

I used to get on his case all the time for basically the same reason.

He's a lifer though, just like you and I, so he's earned the right to rant.

Last night while we were winning, I had a thought about calling out some of the doom and gloomers who predicted a slaughter (including cheese).

Unfortunately, his shtick has been on point for all five-plus years I've been on the board.

I appreciate the general tone of your comments. However, in my experience Cheese is not always on point and is often reflexively and crudely venting. IMHO, this approach has a lowest common denominator effect and adversely impacts the quality of the board experience.

Though I often do not agree with his take and his approach to posting, I do understand the frustrations of a long term Cardinals fan, so I'll go with the flow and slide with the glide.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kruczek always had a pretty good offense when he was head coach at UCF, even after Culpepper left. I think he'll be much more aggressive and creative than Rowen was.

As one radio personality said today, "if running the ball didn't work the first 35 times, why did they try to run it a 36th time?"

Personally, I'd love to see some more play action. The reason I haven't totally given up hope is that with Fitz out and a rookie QB we still put up 23 points against one of the league's top defenses. If they ever get Edge's ypc up to the 4-4.5 range than this offense will be so scary they'll be facing UN sanctions.

Diggity

Registered
Reaction score
I Remember seeing Urlacher after the Bears scored the go ahead TD on the Punt return say " We've got this now" or something to that effect. Does anyone else remember seeing that?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the general tone of your comments. However, in my experience Cheese is not always on point and is often reflexively and crudely venting. IMHO, this approach has a lowest common denominator effect and adversely impacts the quality of the board experience.

but coming on to a thread and saying every one of someone's posts is like vomit isn't crude or rude or nor impacting the quality of the board. I mean it's not lile after YOUR intial post, a portion of this thread actually veered AWAY FROM FOOTBALL and became personal/about YOU and your lack of tact when it's the EXACT thing that you're complaining about? Kudos.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just got home and can't tell you how excited I was when I heard the fired Rowen! Thank God maybe now we can get some creativity involved in out play calling!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but Rowen was the one calling running plays after running plays when the Bears had 8, 9 men in the box to stop it with 0 to 1 yards per rush and continued 3 and outs.

AND GREEN WAS THE GUY WHO SAT THERE AND WATCHED!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good point, but I think one could script a general approach, which worked very well on two drives, and inexplicably was abandoned. What is the old saying, "Playing not to lose is the best way to lose."

Nothing really worked well after the opening TD drive. The Cards ran 16 plays that gained 34 yards on their next 5 possessions. 26 of those yards came on the TD pass to BJohnson. So that's 9 yards out of the other 33 plays.

They went 3 and out 3 times and 4 and out once. The second TD drive was also 3 plays and covered 25 yards. Two of those early drives resulted in negative yards.

With the exception of the opening drive the first half offense was little different from the 2nd.