(Rotoworld) Cards expected to release DJ

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
I just don’t see how we can’t make it work for one more year.

That is an egregious amount of dead money. Even Keim isn’t that stupid.

Unless he knows something about the new CBA that we don’t.

I dunno. He's the GM that signed off on DJ's contract that was VOID of contingencies. Drafted in 2015....tweaked the hell out of a knee at the end of 2016....broke a wrist first thing in 2017, and comes into 2018 playing the "holdout card", wanting paid. The guy had an awesome year in 2016. Yes, absolutely, but Keim OK-ing that contract is close to a real estate agent telling you to sign a contract to buy a house sight unseen with no way to back out.
All right. You did see the house. A year and a half ago. But still....it's more than 10 million bucks! Do you wanna LOOK? OR NOT?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's say we keep him for another year to save money on the cap, how would you use him, meaning what is the playing value of his roster spot. At the moment he has shown he has no burst, looks confused with this style of playbook and still has not learned to block :)
There was a time it seemed like he was going to have an 800/800 season.

Was our 2nd best wr until he got hurt.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a very stupid post.

Why? (also thanks)

You're saying rip up his contract and write a new one or we could just agree to pay part of his salary as part of the trade agreement. One is much simpler. I don't see the big deal.

Whatever. Really don't care enough.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why? (also thanks)

You're saying rip up his contract and write a new one or we could just agree to pay part of his salary as part of the trade agreement. One is much simpler. I don't see the big deal.

Whatever. Really don't care enough.

NFL transactions have to take place as part of league agreement and the CBA. There are always agents and lawyers involved. We turned a portion of guaranteed salary into a bonus to facilitate the in-season trade of Levi Brown to the Steelers in 2013.

Players and teams frequently turn salary into bonus, which is beneficial for both the team (creates cap space in the present) and the player (gets money today).

I don't know what the precedent is to "just agree to pay part of his salary with the trading team", especially when that's essentially the exact transaction that I'm describing.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply doesn't fit in with the offensive mission.
This seems to be an uncontroversial take, considering how slow and indecisive he looked for most of the season, especially given the enormous contrast with Drake's handful of impressive performances in the 2nd half of the season.

But how the heck is he not a fit for Kingsbury's offense!?

How is a guy who had almost 1400 yards from scrimmage in 2018's abominable offense, and four games with over 100 yards from scrimmage in the first six in 2019, now less than worthless?

I get it... but i don't get it.

...dbs

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
"If on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2020 league year, $2.1 million of Johnson's 2021 salary will become fully guaranteed. "

If they want to cut him, they will need to do around beginning of the league year. He'll have even more of his contract guaranteed otherwise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
"If on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2020 league year, $2.1 million of Johnson's 2021 salary will become fully guaranteed. "

If they want to cut him, they will need to do around beginning of the league year. He'll have even more of his contract guaranteed otherwise.

Yes. But I don't think that would kibosh a trade, either. $2.1 million of dead money isn't a big deal to the team that takes a flier on him. If he works out for the Washington team (for example) he's be well worth the $8 million in salary he'd be due.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This seems to be an uncontroversial take, considering how slow and indecisive he looked for most of the season, especially given the enormous contrast with Drake's handful of impressive performances in the 2nd half of the season.
How is a guy who had almost 1400 yards from scrimmage in 2018's abominable offense, and four games with over 100 yards from scrimmage in the first six in 2019, now less than worthless?

...dbs

That's what DJ keeps telling Kingbury when they discuss the playbook lol

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only way to realistically cut him would have been a post June 1st designation which would have let them split the cap hit over 2 seasons. But that's not available this year as it's the last year of the CBA and there is a clause that rules it out. I assume thats what he is referring to?

But this Rotoworld comment is nonsense. There is absolutely no way that they cut DJ with that cap hit.

1, The cap hit is crazy. You don't take an $18m hit over $14 salary.
2, Especially when he can be cut next year for much less
3, He's not a disruption. He's a team guy that will get on with what he is asked to do.
4, He can still be a 3rd down back and contribute in the receiving game
5, There is upside. He must be hearing all this talk. There is a chance he works this off season and turns things around.

I don't see a cut happening. At worse they subsidize a trade. But I think odds are he stays around.
I agree. If he can't be traded ( don't see it happening) why take the 18 million cap hit & get nothing from him? Pay him the 14 million, get maybe 4-5 TD receptions from him. Only problem is, where does that leave us with Drake? If Drake asks for 6 million, that's 20 million for 2 RB's plus we still have Edmonds. That's way too steep. That 20 million could get us Chris Jones & maybe an ILB. SK paid way too much for DJ, at the time signing him made sense but I'm sure there was another route contractually to better suit the cap. It will be interesting to see what happens with Drake & DJ for sure.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what DJ keeps telling Kingbury when they discuss the playbook lol

I think that's another problem with DJ. I don't think he's very smart at picking up playbooks. Especially one with as much pre snap motion and intricacies as Kliff's.

There's a small chance that a 2nd year with it might see improvement.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that's another problem with DJ. I don't think he's very smart at picking up playbooks. Especially one with as much pre snap motion and intricacies as Kliff's.

There's a small chance that a 2nd year with it might see improvement.

You may wonder, but "I think" that you couldn't possibly know.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree. If he can't be traded ( don't see it happening) why take the 18 million cap hit & get nothing from him? Pay him the 14 million, get maybe 4-5 TD receptions from him. Only problem is, where does that leave us with Drake? If Drake asks for 6 million, that's 20 million for 2 RB's plus we still have Edmonds. That's way too steep. That 20 million could get us Chris Jones & maybe an ILB. SK paid way too much for DJ, at the time signing him made sense but I'm sure there was another route contractually to better suit the cap. It will be interesting to see what happens with Drake & DJ for sure.

Ideally what you do is you draft a RB....then he takes off and after his 2nd season, draft another guy...and when first guy comes up for contract, let him walk.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You may wonder, but "I think" that you couldn't possibly know.

Not sure if you understand what "I think" means.

There's more evidence for this hypothesis than not. Seeing as his only good year came with his 2nd year of BA's playbook.

Plus his still complete crap pass protection and blitz pickup after 5 years suggests he isn't the quickest learner.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if you understand what "I think" means.

There's more evidence for this hypothesis than not. Seeing as his only good year came with his 2nd year of BA's playbook.

Plus his still complete crap pass protection and blitz pickup after 5 years suggests he isn't the quickest learner.

Speculation is not evidence, I think.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speculation is not evidence, I think.

Not sure whats how this sentence isn't self explanatory mate

"I think that's another problem with DJ. I don't think he's very smart at picking up playbooks."

Do you remember the play against the Steelers that was supposed to be a designed run by Kyler with DJ as a lead blocker?

DJ just stumbled around like he had no clue and let Dupree run free at Kyler for a loss. Then Kyler started shouting at him on the field. That's why I THINK he's not very smart at picking up play books.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure whats how this sentence isn't self explanatory mate

"I think that's another problem with DJ. I don't think he's very smart at picking up playbooks."

Do you remember the play against the Steelers that was supposed to be a designed run by Kyler with DJ as a lead blocker?

DJ just stumbled around like he had no clue and let Dupree run free at Kyler for a loss. Then Kyler started shouting at him on the field. That's why I THINK he's not very smart at picking up play books.

You MAY be right!

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I’m for letting DJ go and a few others, I want all star players and a Super Bowl trophy 2020.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought this fit in here .

Titans must heed warning signs and avoid paying Derrick Henry after a career year
The Titans must avoid making the same mistake as the Rams( and Cardinals , I added the Cardinals to the byline.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...oid-paying-derrick-henry-after-a-career-year/

The rise of Cardinals do-everything back David Johnson came at the same time as Gurley's. Now his contract is a similar albatross. Johnson, who has been injured and ineffective for two full seasons now and seemingly lost what was left of his job to Kenyan Drake once he was brought over from riding the bench in Miami, is due to make a staggering $10.2 million this season. And all of it is already guaranteed. Another $2 million of his $8 million salary for 2021 becomes fully guaranteed this March 20th.

He has the Cardinals already checkmated. No one will trade for that contract. Cutting him doesn't prevent them from having to pay him. Might as well see if they can cull something from Johnson this season, in hopes of maybe getting something for him a year from now, but that is hardly the position a team wants, hopes or expects to be in two years after signing a player to a best-of-breed contract.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

...dbs

Probably the shotgun offense, his first step is more lateral that straight forward.

He isn't the quickest guy, he is built for a single back offense I think. Move in a straight forward direction at the point of hand off

People can correct if I am wrong though.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the shotgun offense, his first step is more lateral that straight forward.

He isn't the quickest guy, he is built for a single back offense I think. Move in a straight forward direction at the point of hand off
Just checked Johnson's splits for 2016...

From the shotgun, he had 38 rushes for a 5.3 yard average; under center, he had 255 rushes for only 4.1 yards per attempt.

From the shotgun, he caught 66 passes for 4 TDs & 33 1st downs; under center, he caught 14 passes for 0 TDs & 9 1st downs.

Bottom line... some of these differences are probably typical of any RB in different game situations and formations; but Johnson certainly didn't seem to suffer in shotgun formation.

...dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson