Rockets @ Suns 2-4-16

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The most promising numbers from tonight's game IMO? We attempted 32 Free Throws and made 30 of them.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Good effort, but let's be honest, this team simply doesn't have enough talent to win many more games this season. As long as the young guys get a ton of minutes and they play hard I think we'll all be happy. I won't even complain if they stumble into a few wins here and there.

Knowing the Suns luck they'll somehow end up with the 4th pick, though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually we've done that in a lot of games since Knight went down. We look competitive usually until some time in the 4th quarter when talent and maturity comes to the fore and we take a step back. Understandably, our opponents are taking us for granted and when we meet one that comes prepared we usually get blown off the court (San Antonio for example). Harden finished with 17 but he was never really involved in tonight's game, it's almost like the stars feel insulted having to play us. Ouch.

Sounds a little bit fishy to me. Like maybe, they don't actually want to win, so in the 4th quarter they ease up?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Sounds a little bit fishy to me. Like maybe, they don't actually want to win, so in the 4th quarter they ease up?

I don't think so. They basically have seven to eight players every night, and they run out of gas. Guys like Goodwin and Booker just aren't used to playing this many minutes. Booker was exhausted in 4th quarter, and Len ran out of gas too. I think having a healthy Warren would make a big difference right now, as the Suns really have no scoring outside of Booker and Goodwin. Neither of our Centers is a scorer, Markieff is inconsistent. Teletovic provides some scoring, but outside of that, there is nothing there.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I don't think so. They basically have seven to eight players every night, and they run out of gas. Guys like Goodwin and Booker just aren't used to playing this many minutes. Booker was exhausted in 4th quarter, and Len ran out of gas too. I think having a healthy Warren would make a big difference right now, as the Suns really have no scoring outside of Booker and Goodwin. Neither of our Centers is a scorer, Markieff is inconsistent. Teletovic provides some scoring, but outside of that, there is nothing there.

Leuer must have pee'd in Watsons cheerios since he's been a DNP "coaches decision" the last couple games. He would have provided the extra scoring they were lacking in the fourth.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leuer must have pee'd in Watsons cheerios since he's been a DNP "coaches decision" the last couple games. He would have provided the extra scoring they were lacking in the fourth.

The plan is to feature Morris, the trade deadline is less than 2 weeks away. I guess they are trying to get the most out of the $8M he is taking from them. Let's see who's still here Feb 19th.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the team still loses ball games, and even blows leads.

This team is what it is: awful and uncompetitive. Yeah, it's great that we're getting the young players experience, but this brand of basketball is unwatchable and depressing. Watson is just a placeholder for next season's HC.

Whatever. Keep losing games and keep getting ping-pong balls. Eyes on the prize.

Not enough talent, sure. But you need to actually watch the games to determine if they are competitive. They were pretty competitive in this game, so I don't know what game you're watching.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That's definitely been a factor in some of our recent losses. But I think the main reason is the incredible gap in talent between us and our opponents. Other than Philadelphia I don't believe we've faced a single opponent since Knight went down that would start a player on our roster. Other than maybe Chandler as a 2nd or 3rd string center and Tucker as a backup SF, none of our guys would even be in the rotation. Well, sane Markieff would but not the one we've suited up most of this season. Booker is going to be good, maybe great, but he'd spend most of his time in the D League for any team trying to win now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't think so. They basically have seven to eight players every night, and they run out of gas.

Don't forget that other teams also have the ability to turn it up in the fourth quarter, after spending most of the game coasting against an opponent they know they can beat. It's like what the Spurs always used to do to the Suns during the Nash years, except now it's most teams in the league.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's definitely been a factor in some of our recent losses. But I think the main reason is the incredible gap in talent between us and our opponents. Other than Philadelphia I don't believe we've faced a single opponent since Knight went down that would start a player on our roster. Other than maybe Chandler as a 2nd or 3rd string center and Tucker as a backup SF, none of our guys would even be in the rotation. Well, sane Markieff would but not the one we've suited up most of this season. Booker is going to be good, maybe great, but he'd spend most of his time in the D League for any team trying to win now.

Booker would probably see some playing time in the D-League with a contender but I doubt too much. He is poised beyond his years and shooters are always in demand.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Get rid of Lon Babby

Hire someone like Tony La Russa to run the basketball operations.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get rid of Lon Babby

Hire someone like Tony La Russa to run the basketball operations.

Lon Babby is now a Senior Adviser for the Suns so he does not have as much clout as he used to have. Ryan McDonough leads Basketball Operations from his GM position.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Charles Barkley roasts the Suns on TNT. He tells it like he sees it.

See link below:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...y-roasts-phoenix-suns-tnt-broadcast/79868772/

Probably, but he's never seen very clearly. He's ripped us since he left us, regardless of how we're performing. I suspect he's loving it now though because we are as bad as they come. If we were any other team he'd say "well they have some good young talent but they're missing their best players".

chickenhead

Reaction score
He's funny, but he's the one who failed when it was a first-class organization.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's funny, but he's the one who failed when it was a first-class organization.

He's hilarious at times and he's actually fairly bright but he's not as bright as he thinks he is. And to me the thing that stands out the most about him, as a basketball player and as an analyst, is his lack of preparation. He always worked his butt off when the game started (especially the big games) but he has a history of coasting when the spotlight isn't on him. You can tell that he is the least informed of all the TNT crew and he so rarely knows what he's talking about.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harden should have been ejected.

Exactly. These were my thoughts at the time. Harden gave an intentional blow to the head of a Suns player in the open court. I'm not sure of the player... maybe Goodwin? I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm thinking what does it take to get ejected. This is much, much more than giving a star special treatment.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
^^And it wasn't even close to being a basketball play. I don't know why he wasn't ejected.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^And it wasn't even close to being a basketball play. I don't know why he wasn't ejected.

I wish I could find a replay. The announcers didn't cover it enough for my satisfaction although Eddie Johnson hinted it should be more than a flagrant 1. The foul should have been a flagrant 2 by definition.

There are the two types of Flagrant Fouls:

Flagrant "1" (FFP1) - unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession.

Flagrant "2" (FFP2) - unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. The opposing team is awarded two (2) free throws and possession and the player committing the foul is automatically ejected.

If that is not excessive I don't know what is.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/04/18/flagrant.technical/

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The other link doesn't work but this one does.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He's right. The Suns have takin the crown from the 76ers and are now the official "court" jesters of the NBA. They need to come up with a Washington Generals alternative uni for next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This is what I posted on the other Barkley thread (which I had read before the recent posts to this one).

If the Chuckster had said "Sarver" rather than "Suns", I think that most of us would agree with him.

He did summarize by saying, "Suns fans deserve better." He knows what he is talking about. Despite his comical exaggerated statements.

He is sort of like the Donald Trump of the NBA. You wouldn't want him with his finger on the button, but he makes some good points.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh man, that was hilarious and accurate.

I'm not sure the whole thing was accurate but agreed about hilarious. I nearly lost it when was talking about the pickles and jalapeños.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn