Rockets @ Suns 2-4-16

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rockets play at the Suns with a 7 p.m. Arizona start time.

From a Paul Coro article dated 2-4-16.

Suns interim head coach Earl Watson said his preparation focus is 20 percent on the Rockets and 80 percent on generating more positivity and energy from the Suns.

“We’re not focused on who’s playing and not playing,” Watson said. “We’re focused on building a program that almost becomes almost like a machine so that regardless of who plays, the expectations coming into a game are the same. The level of energy is the same. The understanding is the same. The style of play is the same. We become one instead of individuals.”

Here are the starting lineups.

C: Tyson Chandler … Dwight Howard

PF: Markieff Morris … Clint Capela

SF/SG: P.J. Tucker … James Harden

SG/SF: Devin Booker … Trevor Ariza

PG: Archie Goodwin … Patrick Beverley

Key Rockets reserves: Josh Smith, Jason Terry, Marcus Thornton, Ty Lawson, Corey Brewer.

Key Rockets injuries: Clint Capela (left hip strain) is probable. Montrezl Harrell (ill) and Terrence Jones (car accident) are out. Donatas Motiejunas was assigned to the D-League on Thursday.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ls-into-phoenix-first-suns-face-off/79839598/

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker hobbling around on a knee to knee injury, grabbing his right knee.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
eh they went back and looked at the replay and said Booker was smiling

Yeah but at the time we're sitting here screaming "what happened to Booker" and they're going off for a few minutes about a giant bowl of ice cream. And earlier they talked about hair care and other junk that has nothing to do with the job they're supposed to do.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
'Good to see the Suns playing with some life in them.

My biggest fear was what this season was doing to the psyche of the young guys. As with most coaching changes, it has gone from negative to positive.

I am concerned what will happen to the young guys when two of our three "point" guards come back. I hope we don't take a step back in motivation.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yeah but at the time we're sitting here screaming "what happened to Booker" and they're going off for a few minutes about a giant bowl of ice cream. And earlier they talked about hair care and other junk that has nothing to do with the job they're supposed to do.
And Steve Albert is talking about money, money, money. Who is going to pay whom for TV exposure. Too much New Yawk.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My guess: When Harden retires, in addition to his beard, he'll be remembered for flopping, cheap shots, choking, strip clubs, coach-killing and generally being unlikable.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
'Good to see the Suns playing with some life in them.

My biggest fear was what this season was doing to the psyche of the young guys. As with most coaching changes, it has gone from negative to positive.

I am concerned what will happen to the young guys when two of our three "point" guards come back. I hope we don't take a step back in motivation.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I think you blame our point guards far too much. Bledsoe and Knight played pretty well early in the season but as it became more apparent how useless our forwards were it also became easier to shut our guys down. No team can play offense with 60% of the guys on the court not participating and no, it wasn't due to poor point guard play. Knight didn't really stink up the joint until he started logging major minutes at the 1. There's a reason they were among the top rated duos in the league the first few weeks of the season. And there was a reason our front-court was dead last by a large margin.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think you blame our point guards far too much. Bledsoe and Knight played pretty well early in the season but as it became more apparent how useless our forwards were it also became easier to shut our guys down. No team can play offense with 60% of the guys on the court not participating and no, it wasn't due to poor point guard play. Knight didn't really stink up the joint until he started logging major minutes at the 1. There's a reason they were among the top rated duos in the league the first few weeks of the season. And there was a reason our front-court was dead last by a large margin.
I guess I didn't make my point too well. What will happen to the development of Booker and Goodwin when the old guard (pardon the pun) backcourt comes back?

BTW, I don't like seeing the Suns wearing T-shirts on the court, especially gray ones at home. It looks like the Rockets are playing a bunch of high school kids.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
'Sorry, but I disagree. With a new Coach and a new rotation, and giving our two young Wings an opportunity, the Suns hung in there pretty well for these past two games.

I'm not big on tanking but, at this point, play to win but lose by a few points seems to be the best combination. It is fun to watch the Suns again, even under those circumstances.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts:

The Suns cannot grab a rebound when needed.

Too many turnovers which is a theme.

Maybe Weems is just a garbage time shooter. He cannot hit a big shot when needed.

Booker's passing left a lot to be desired tonight. I will put those PG thoughts on hold.

Archie Goodwin keeps bringing the effort. He wants it.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
'Sorry, but I disagree. With a new Coach and a new rotation, and giving our two young Wings an opportunity, the Suns hung in there pretty well for these past two games.

I'm not big on tanking but, at this point, play to win but lose by a few points seems to be the best combination. It is fun to watch the Suns again, even under those circumstances.

Actually we've done that in a lot of games since Knight went down. We look competitive usually until some time in the 4th quarter when talent and maturity comes to the fore and we take a step back. Understandably, our opponents are taking us for granted and when we meet one that comes prepared we usually get blown off the court (San Antonio for example). Harden finished with 17 but he was never really involved in tonight's game, it's almost like the stars feel insulted having to play us. Ouch.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess I didn't make my point too well. What will happen to the development of Booker and Goodwin when the old guard (pardon the pun) backcourt comes back?

BTW, I don't like seeing the Suns wearing T-shirts on the court, especially gray ones at home. It looks like the Rockets are playing a bunch of high school kids.

Booker was getting pretty good minutes for a 19 year old rookie and I'm sure the plan was always to increase them as the season and situation allowed. But I don't know what will happen with Goodwin. I still worry that what we see from him is a mirage. I hope it isn't but he's never had a problem shining in pick-up style games. And I'd pay money to watch them bonfire every one of those sleeved game jerseys.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Good loss tonight. They played hard until the final 2 min, then cracked under the pressure.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

At the end of the day, the team still loses ball games, and even blows leads.

This team is what it is: awful and uncompetitive. Yeah, it's great that we're getting the young players experience, but this brand of basketball is unwatchable and depressing. Watson is just a placeholder for next season's HC.

Whatever. Keep losing games and keep getting ping-pong balls. Eyes on the prize.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some thoughts:

The Suns cannot grab a rebound when needed.

Too many turnovers which is a theme.

Maybe Weems is just a garbage time shooter. He cannot hit a big shot when needed.

Booker's passing left a lot to be desired tonight. I will put those PG thoughts on hold.

Archie Goodwin keeps bringing the effort. He wants it.

Yea considering that Hornacek always questioned effort from players, he has to be regretting not playing Goodwin more considering that Archie brings it every single night even on days where he has tough nights shooting the ball.

Booker will never be a PG even though his playmaking skills for a SG is solid. Just a bad night for him but he's an 18 year rookie playing against the best SG in the league and last year's MVP runner up so I'm sure nerves also play a role.

I was surprised to see Len and Chandler both with double digit rebounds. Feels good to see two players on our team with double digit rebounds, I remember the days when it was a challenge to get even one player close to double digit rebounds.