Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just going to have to copy and paste that regularly. I'd say put it in your signature but I'm sure someone would twist it as you being a Sarver apologist.

Those 2 things keep having to get repeated. No one is defending Sarver here and it's unclear how many people actually witnessed or were victims of misogynistic or racist behavior perpetrated by Sarver.
It’s amazing how effective a tactic that was for the author. Here’s the actual quote and (I think) the only time the number “70” is mentioned:

Interviews with more than 70 former and current Suns employees throughout Sarver's 17-year tenure describe a toxic and sometimes hostile workplace under Sarver. Some told ESPN that he has used racially insensitive language repeatedly in the office.”

I bolded two key words. We really have no idea how many people have made statements as to the toxic environment. Particularly if people are coming out now with more. As I’ve said before, it could be 10 (I don’t think we even have that many identified yet), or it could be over 70.

The number itself isn’t needed for us to believe in the toxicity - I think virtually all of us believe that. Rather, I the number will be dispositive of what happens. If there’s no smoking gun (tape/email) I think 10 people gets a slap on the wrist from the nba. If there’s no smoking gun and it’s 40+ people there’s just too many for the nba to sweep under the rug and it may result in sarvers departure.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s amazing how effective a tactic that was for the author. Here’s the actual quote and (I think) the only time the number “70” is mentioned:

Interviews with more than 70 former and current Suns employees throughout Sarver's 17-year tenure describe a toxic and sometimes hostile workplace under Sarver. Some told ESPN that he has used racially insensitive language repeatedly in the office.”

I bolded two key words. We really have no idea how many people have made statements as to the toxic environment. Particularly if people are coming out now with more. As I’ve said before, it could be 10 (I don’t think we even have that many identified yet), or it could be over 70.

The number itself isn’t needed for us to believe in the toxicity - I think virtually all of us believe that. Rather, I the number will be dispositive of what happens. If there’s no smoking gun (tape/email) I think 10 people gets a slap on the wrist from the nba. If there’s no smoking gun and it’s 40+ people there’s just too many for the nba to sweep under the rug and it may result in sarvers departure.
Yep. The statement is misleading at best. I have no desire to defend Sarver, but it would be helpful to have full disclosure from this reporter.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't see this posted, its a statement from Jahm Najafi, who is a co-owner of the Suns and the same owner who sat with Kapernick at the game the other day.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worth noting that Jahm Najafi is an Iranian American who seems to have amassed his fortune through a private equity firm. His business is located in Phoenix in the Biltmore area and he's worth $3.5 billion.

He owns a Formula One team also and given that he's attending games with Colin Kapernick I would say he's interested in sports more than just financially. He's also a VP with the Suns but I'm not sure of how long he's had that title or what it entails.

Maybe he can be the guy to save us from Sarver. I thought Sarver was the wealthiest investor of the ownership group but I guess he's not.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worth noting that Jahm Najafi is an Iranian American who seems to have amassed his fortune through a private equity firm. His business is located in Phoenix in the Biltmore area and he's worth $3.5 billion.

He owns a Formula One team also and given that he's attending games with Colin Kapernick I would say he's interested in sports more than just financially. He's also a VP with the Suns but I'm not sure of how long he's had that title or what it entails.

Maybe he can be the guy to save us from Sarver. I thought Sarver was the wealthiest investor of the ownership group but I guess he's not.
Without actually mentioning his name I referred to this guy and his statement in another thread earlier this morning. His statement came out the same day as the ESPN report as I recall. Anyway, knowing nothing more about him than what you've provided above, my concern is his motivation.

Is he simply taking the report at face value or does he have confirmations from people who have crossed his path? Is he truly concerned about the welfare of the employees or is he being opportunistic and making an effort to take over? I have to believe he'd be better than Sarver but OTOH I have a very low opinion of the industry he made his fortune in.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Without actually mentioning his name I referred to this guy and his statement in another thread earlier this morning. His statement came out the same day as the ESPN report as I recall. Anyway, knowing nothing more about him than what you've provided above, my concern is his motivation.

Is he simply taking the report at face value or does he have confirmations from people who have crossed his path? Is he truly concerned about the welfare of the employees or is he being opportunistic and making an effort to take over? I have to believe he'd be better than Sarver but OTOH I have a very low opinion of the industry he made his fortune in.

I can totally understand being leery based on how he raised his fortune and additionally whether he's involved for the right reasons, those being that he wants justice for those effected and to keep it from happening again. Hopefully his heart is in the right place, which impossible to truly discern when we're talking about billionaires.

I'll give him some benefit since he is an immigrant himself so I doubt he's happy hearing about racist nonsense propagated by Sarver. That's as far as I'm willing to go.

Part of the reason I mentioned his wealth and a little bit of history is he sounds like the type who might be interested in taking on a larger ownership stake if that's what's ultimately required to push Sarver out, whether that is mandated by the league or the ownership group is questionable though. He is local to Phoenix so I don't fear he'd uproot the team if he became owner but that's about all my thoughts on how he'd be as an owner, which really isn't saying much. It might be better than seeing the team sold, I think, but I could be entirely wrong.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You have a low opinion of private equity? Why?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a low opinion of private equity? Why?
I don't want to turn this into a P&R conversation but I would say that my low opinion is for the same kind of reasons that Elizabeth Warren has spoken of so often:

For far too long, Washington has looked the other way while private equity firms take over companies, load them with debt, strip them of their wealth, and walk away scot-free—leaving workers, consumers, and whole communities to pick up the pieces.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't want to turn this into a P&R conversation but I would say that my low opinion is for the same kind of reasons that Elizabeth Warren has spoken of so often:

For far too long, Washington has looked the other way while private equity firms take over companies, load them with debt, strip them of their wealth, and walk away scot-free—leaving workers, consumers, and whole communities to pick up the pieces.
Hmm I think as with all things there are good private equity firms and bad ones. I was skeptical when I heard my company was moving private and it’s been an absolute godsend. We were doing well before the move, but they infused us with so much more available capital that it allowed us to innovate beyond anything our competition could come up with and launched us into the stratosphere. In fact, when the duration had run on the equity purchase they divested a percentage of us, recouped their original investment and continued to be the supermajority holder of our stock. Now both PE firms are enjoying holding us in their portfolios.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, let's make it simple: If one athlete slaps another on the ass, is it sexual harrassment? How about when coaches do it to their players?

Every year I go through multiple courses on this subject with my job.

So yes it is exceedingly simple, no one in a leadership role should ever touch a subordinate anywhere that is remotely questionable

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Every year I go through multiple courses on this subject with my job.

So yes it is exceedingly simple, no one in a leadership role should ever touch a subordinate anywhere that is remotely questionable
Right? Who doesn’t get this training at work in 2021?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My wife and I were watching a Mercury game and Sarver slapped Diana T in the butt at the end of a game. Diana didn't seem to notice, or chose to ignore it.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
75% of the other owners need to vote Sarver out to remove him.
some predict they won't because they won't want to subject themselves to that kind of risk in the future.
i predict they WILL (after the NBA investigation uncovers more) because they will be happy to be rid of him
and the chance of themselves reaching Sarver's level of scandal and being outed by 75% is remote

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this ain’t smart on Sarver’s Wife’s part...

She is either stupid or the Saver's legal counsel isn't doing their jobs. Way to insert foot into the mouth lady.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She is either stupid or the Saver's legal counsel isn't doing their jobs. Way to insert foot into the mouth lady.

She seems just like her husband.

They are making the Suns look so bad just based on the things they’ve admitted so far... admitting using the N-word once, flaunting your wife in a bikini, asking a player how they trim their privates and pantsing someone in front of a room full of people.

If that was a GM or a coach, they would be DONE. The idea that an owner won’t be only speaks loudly about our country overall where if you have enough money, you can get away with being terrible. Speaks to our values as a country more than anything at this point.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Smooth move by Sarver's wife. Sounds like one of the persons is now actively looking to cooperate with the NBA investigation. Good job!

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reading the story, she messaged someone and talked about Watson when I assumed that's who she was sending the message to, wonder who it could be? McDonough?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Apparently, there is also now some secondary confirmation to the Ayton anecdote that Jalen Rose had related. The plot continues to thicken.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, there is also now some secondary confirmation to the Ayton anecdote that Jalen Rose had related. The plot continues to thicken.

oh man... where'd you see/read that?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah... if there's enough corraborating witnesses to n-words being dropped, especially about someone currently on the team, I'm starting to think tape or emails might not be needed to get him out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe these messages will help speed up the investigation. Just when one thinks things will settle down for awhile this happens.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe these messages will help speed up the investigation. Just when one thinks things will settle down for awhile this happens.

i doubt if this story "settles down" all season until there's a conclusion to it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn