Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Also statements from Suns Vice Chairman Andy Kohlberg and ownership.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
How many owners are there? Doesn’t look like they’re out for sarver’s head. As I kind of expected.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many owners are there? Doesn’t look like they’re out for sarver’s head. As I kind of expected.

I'm not sure without digging deeper. Of course Larry Fitzgerald is the most notable for me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is Robert Sarver’s favorite person today.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some comments from Mercury Coach Sandy Brondello.

By Duane Rankin Arizona Republic:

"I don't want to comment too much because it's not my decision here, but he's been a great owner. This is a great organization and it starts at the top.

Brondello said she's surprised by the allegations, adding she's "never experiencing anything like that" with Sarver.

"He's great," Brondello said. "He is fantastic. He's been great. He's been a big supporter of this women's game and we're appreciative of him."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the same article. I didn't know this.

By Duane Rankin Arizona Republic:

Sarver has been seen sitting beside Mercury All-Star Diana Taurasi during Suns games, but he did slap her on the bottom as the team celebrated a playoff win this season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I kinda wonder if there is a difference between Early Sarver and more recent Sarver. Maybe this is how he was early in his ownership and someone (or many) got to him and said this stuff had to stop, and it did.

I believe Monty Williams when he said that he would not be coach here if that was something he was aware of. I think it might be more likely that at some point Sarver cleaned up his act than he managed to be all of this and it not be noticeable to many of the employees.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash speaks up as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda wonder if there is a difference between Early Sarver and more recent Sarver. Maybe this is how he was early in his ownership and someone (or many) got to him and said this stuff had to stop, and it did.

I believe Monty Williams when he said that he would not be coach here if that was something he was aware of. I think it might be more likely that at some point Sarver cleaned up his act than he managed to be all of this and it not be noticeable to many of the employees.

The dude slapped a woman’s ass, one of his own players, on the court two months ago. That ain’t the sign of a guy who’s cleaned up his act. That’s a sign of a guy who thinks he can do whatever he wants to whoever he wants. And this level of entitlement is on display in front of cameras. If you think his behavior gets better OFF camera, I think you’re being incredibly naive.

Guys who are still slapping woman on the ass without their consent, for ANY REASON are still living in a bygone era that deserves to be swept into the dust bin of history.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I believe Monty Williams when he said that he would not be coach here if that was something he was aware of.

I don't. It's a racist world. Blacks know that. They also know that they have to figure out how to navigate a racist world. If you won't take an opportunity because the person giving it to you is racist, pretty soon you run out of opportunities. I think it's much more likely that Williams thought, "Yeah, Sarver is a racist ass, but so are most guys, and a job's a job."

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The dude slapped a woman’s ass, one of his own players, on the court two months ago. That ain’t the sign of a guy who’s cleaned up his act. That’s a sign of a guy who thinks he can do whatever he wants to whoever he wants. And this level of entitlement is on display in front of cameras. If you think his behavior gets better OFF camera, I think you’re being incredibly naive.

Guys who are still slapping woman on the ass without their consent, for ANY REASON are still living in a bygone era that deserves to be swept into the dust bin of history.
And apparently it wasn't something that she was offended by or she likely would have spoke up against it or likely wouldn't by sitting with him during Suns games. Maybe they are friends and thus she doesn't have issue with it? We really don't know, but it seems odd to jump straight to it being inappropriate behavior.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't. It's a racist world. Blacks know that. They also know that they have to figure out how to navigate a racist world. If you won't take an opportunity because the person giving it to you is racist, pretty soon you run out of opportunities. I think it's much more likely that Williams thought, "Yeah, Sarver is a racist ass, but so are most guys, and a job's a job."

Same. I mean, Doc Rivers took the Clippers job when everyone knew Sterling was a racist beforehand but it was a good opportunity with a good roster to take over. And I don’t think Monty is any more virtuous than Rivers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Isn't ass-slapping still a part of sports culture? I feel like I see it from players all the time, but maybe it has stopped and I haven't noticed. Don't volleyball players do it after every point?

You can say that Sarver shouldn't do it because he's an owner and not a player, but in that particular case it would be just another example of him not respecting owner/employee boundaries, not a sexual harrassment issue. (Unless you want to say it's sexual harrassment every time one player slaps another on the backside.) Or is it because the player was a woman?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And apparently it wasn't something that she was offended by or she likely would have spoke up against it or likely wouldn't by sitting with him during Suns games. Maybe they are friends and thus she doesn't have issue with it? We really don't know, but it seems odd to jump straight to it being inappropriate behavior.

Really? If you think that’s appropriate behavior from the guy who pays your checks, I’d hate to know what else floats your moral boat.

The idea that it’s odd that to think it’s inappropriate for an an owner to slap a woman’s ass he employs who is unaware is ridiculous. Especially now knowing the voluminous allegations made against him, or just based on the stuff he acknowledges like pantsing a guy or floating pics of his wife in a bikini to everyone.

That ass slap didn’t happen in a vacuum.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't ass-slapping still a part of sports culture? I feel like I see it from players all the time, but maybe it has stopped and I haven't noticed. Don't volleyball players do it after every point?

You can say that Sarver shouldn't do it because he's an owner and not a player, but in that particular case it would be just another example of him not respecting owner/employee boundaries, not a sexual harrassment issue. (Unless you want to say it's sexual harrassment every time one player slaps another on the backside.) Or is it because the player was a woman?

Do you see guys doing it to other women in sports? I sure as hell haven’t. And yes, I think there’s a distinction between those two scenarios with players slapping each other’s asses of the same sex and an owner slapping the ass of someone he cuts checks to and is the opposite sex.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is also incredibly naive. People gave to cozy up to bosses they’re not fond of all the time. He pays her checks. Big ones. It’s called playing the game.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Really? If you think that’s appropriate behavior from the guy who pays your checks, I’d hate to know what else floats your moral boat.

The idea that it’s odd that to think it’s inappropriate for an an owner to slap a woman’s ass he employs who is unaware is ridiculous. Especially now knowing the voluminous allegations made against him, or just based on the stuff he acknowledges like pantsing a guy or floating pics of his wife in a bikini to everyone.

That ass slap didn’t happen in a vacuum.
I don't think it's a good idea or something he should be doing, but I don't think it was necessarily as bad as you are making it out to be. Again we don't know their relationship. As far as I can tell they appear to be friends and she would be the first one to determine if she considered it to be inappropriate or not.

To elaborate more. I don't think the act in and of itself was necessarily inappropriate, but it isn't something an employer should be doing with his employees in general.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The behavior is inappropriate for this era but in another era no one would have thought twice about it (except perhaps for it being a woman) in a sports setting. I understand Robert Sarver sits beside Diana Taurasi during games along with what appears to be his wife.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is also incredibly naive. People gave to cozy up to bosses they’re not fond of all the time. He pays her checks. Big ones. It’s called playing the game.
She's gonna retire any time now and has never been someone to be afraid to say what's on her mind.

Also she makes most of her money in Russia for a different owner, BTW.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Pretty much this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When did we go back to 1982?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

A male slapping a women’s ass is a no go even in sports decades ago. Your post is kinda shocking.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea or something he should be doing, but I don't think it was necessarily as bad as you are making it out to be. Again we don't know their relationship. As far as I can tell they appear to be friends and she would be the first one to determine if she considered it to be inappropriate or not.

To elaborate more. I don't think the act in and of itself was necessarily inappropriate, but it isn't something an employer should be doing with his employees in general.
I have lots of female friends. I wouldn’t slap them in the ass. And I’m not even their boss. Nor do I have all the other pantsings, goats, etc to color my character.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So Sarver depantses the male employees and slaps the female ones on the rear? I guess he's an equal opportunity jerk boss, anyway.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have lots of female friends. I wouldn’t slap them in the ass. And I’m not even their boss. Nor do I have all the other pantsings, goats, etc to color my character.

Good for you and neither do I, but that doesn't mean that other people don't. I just don't like calling an act inappropriate without knowing the facts. For starters how DT feels about it. Because if it is something she has no problem with than I think we could probably leave it at that. The employer dynamic obviously adds an extra wrinkle as there are many things that can be seen as innocent or playful that can be taken much more seriously when done by a person's boss.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson