RIP: Tony Burton (1937-2016)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rocky actor Tony Burton dead at 78

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/26/rocky-tony-burton-dies

Tony Burton, who starred as Tony “Duke” Evers in Rocky, has died. He was 78.

Burton’s co-star Carl Weathers confirmed the news in a tweet on Thursday.

“E_Woodyard @TheSlyStallone Sad news. RIP Tony Burton. His intensity and talent helped make the Rocky movies successful. #BePeace,” Weathers wrote on Twitter.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Duke was one of my favorite supporting characters.

Great lines from Rocky IV:

Duke: Apollo was like my son. I raised him. And when he died a part of me died. But now you're the one. You're the one that's gonna keep his spirit alive. You're the one that's gonna make sure that he didn't die for nothing. Now you're gonna have to go through hell. Worse than any nightmare you ever dreamed. But in the end, I know you'll be the one standing.

Duke: All your strength, all your power, all your love. Everything you've got. Right now!

Duke: He's worried! You cut him! You hurt him! You see? You see? He's not a machine, he's a man!

Duke: You're gonna have to go through hell, worse than any nightmare you've ever dreamed. But when it's over, I know you'll be the one standing. You know what you have to do. Do it.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My favorite Duke lines:

"He don't know it's a damned show. He thinks it's a damned fight."

"He's all wrong for us baby. I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before and the man-kept-coming-after you. We don't need that kind of man in our life. I know what you're feeling. Let it go. Let it go. You're the champ."

"You know all there is to know about fighting, so there's no sense us going down that same old road again. To beat this guy, you need speed - you don't have it. And your knees can't take the pounding, so hard running is out. And you got arthritis in your neck, and you've got calcium deposits on most of your joints, so sparring is out. So, what we'll be calling on is good ol' fashion blunt force trauma. Horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, piledriving punches that will have to hurt so much they'll rattle his ancestors. Every time you hit him with a shot, it's gotta feel like he tried kissing the express train. Yeah! Let's start building some hurtin' bombs!"

Hell, that last one deserves a video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I also loved his line in Assault on Precinct 13 with "operation save ass".

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort