6. St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB
8. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill, QB
9. Carolina Panthers: Luke Kuechly, ILB
10. Buffalo Bills: Michael Floyd, WR
11. Kansas City Chiefs: David DeCastro, OG
12. Seattle Seahawks: Quinton Coples, DE
13. ???

If the first 12 goes down like this and we can't trade back, would you take Riley Reiff LT

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think if it goes that way, I'd prefer Reiff, but we'll draft Glenn

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB
2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin, QB
3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT
4. Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson, RB
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB
13. ???

If the first 12 goes down like this and we can't trade back, would you take Riley Reiff LT

ewww.

That's about as bad as the draft could go for the Cards. I'm not particularly impressed with either Reiff or Glenn.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
ewww.

That's about as bad as the draft could go for the Cards. I'm not particularly impressed with either Reiff or Glenn.

Yup! I'd trade back in that scenario. IF I absolutely had to make a selection it would be one of the cornerbacks, Gilmore or Kirkpatrick.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jeeez, forget that noise.

Trade back like a heart attack.

At that point nobody at 13 would be worth the pick, everyones a reach. Id rather go CB in that scenario. Say Kirkpatrick or that other fella. Give us a beast secondary.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeeez, forget that noise.

Trade back like a heart attack.

At that point nobody at 13 would be worth the pick,
everyones a reach. Id rather go CB in that scenario. Say Kirkpatrick or that other fella. Give us a beast secondary.

Well, it has to make you wonder why someone would be willing to trade up with us if everyone is a reach. I'd be fine with Reiff. Sooner or later one of these star Iowa OL guys will live up to expectations, Riley looks like he might be the one. Failing that, I'd be willing to take Barron - he's not much of a reach if at all.

Steve

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB
2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin, QB
3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT
4. Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson, RB
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB
13. ???

Yes, definately.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think this is a very possible draft scenerio and the one I would plan for if I was the Cardinals. I like Reiff, I think he may be an excellent RT. I am not a fan of Martin as I think it is more likely he's a LT bust rather than an excellent RT. The knock on DeCastro is that he is "only a guard," we need a RT bad, there shouldn't be an issue with Reiff being only a RT.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Barron might have trade value at this point. There are a good number of teams that are pretty desperate for a safety drafting slightly behind us. If we could pick up a 3rd to move down a spot or three there, it would be worth it. Otherwise, I'd probably go Reiff.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
In any of the ways the draft goes, the Cards will end up with a player that will make them better. Whoever's name is on the Card taken to the podium, he will be a humdinger.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, it has to make you wonder why someone would be willing to trade up with us if everyone is a reach. I'd be fine with Reiff. Sooner or later one of these star Iowa OL guys will live up to expectations, Riley looks like he might be the one. Failing that, I'd be willing to take Barron - he's not much of a reach if at all.

Steve

Teams have different needs. In our shoes, and in in this scenario where those guys were all taken, we would be reaching.

Maybe a team desperately needs a MLB, or S, or RT, etc. In their shoes, it wouldnt be a reach at 13.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With DeCastro and Ingram gone and barring any late raps on him, yeah, I'd take Reif.

The passion with which some ASFNers hate him do raise a slight red flag though.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
With DeCastro and Ingram gone and barring any late raps on him, yeah, I'd take Reif.

The passion with which some ASFNers hate him do raise a slight red flag though.

I don't think they hate him. I don't hate Glenn. They would just not take him over someone else they like better.

Dudes definately better than Martin, and he was discussed long and hard for a while as a possibility where we sat.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Reiff is a consensus Top 15 pick on every draft site I have seen, top 10 in many. And he is at our position of greatest need. And in this scenario, none of the other highly ranked players at need positions exist. This would be a no-brainer. I don't understand the dislike on this board. At all.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't like short armed OT prospects, way more times then not they do not translate to the NFL and the ones that do have other characteristics that make up for that short coming. Such as Amazing feet, amazing technique, amazing smarts and strength. Reiff while maybe decent in those area's is not amazing.

So I guess you can say I am not a fan of Riley "STUBBY" Reiff.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm one of the very very very few and proud Mike Adams supporters :)

He was the best OL in the Senior Bowl by far. He shut down Upshaw & Ingram. (Upshaw got a sack due to the qb scrambling into him after Adams pushed him away). I guess the problem is that he is not focused or whatever.
Here is what Scott Wright (Draftcountdown.com) said about his performance:
Played up to immense talent level and looked like a high first round pick.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like short armed OT prospects, way more times then not they do not translate to the NFL and the ones that do have other characteristics that make up for that short coming. Such as Amazing feet, amazing technique, amazing smarts and strength. Reiff while maybe decent in those area's is not amazing.

You have mentioned this before. I don't get where one inch shorter than average - that's 3 percent - makes much difference. Hey, maybe it does, but I just don't see it. What makes you think that?

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
He was the best OL in the Senior Bowl by far. He shut down Upshaw & Ingram. (Upshaw got a sack due to the qb scrambling into him after Adams pushed him away). I guess the problem is that he is not focused or whatever.
Here is what Scott Wright (Draftcountdown.com) said about his performance:
Played up to immense talent level and looked like a high first round pick.

Maybe he's a fit for us after all. This QB, was his name "Kolb", because he is an expert in this area of running into sacks.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The arm length of Iowa standout offensive tackle Riley Reiff has been a focus of some discussion, but it hasn't seemed to scare off prospective suitors. Nor has it prompted most interested teams to project Reiff to guard, instead of tackle. At the combine, Reiff's arm length was measured at 33 1/4 inches. That's admittedly a bit short for a tackle prospect. By comparison, the arm lengths of highly regarded prospects Matt Kalil of USC and Stanford's Jonathan Martin were 34 1/2 inches and 34 inches, respectively. Another top-shelf tackle, Michael Adams of Ohio State, was also 34 inches. It's notable, though, that Joe Thomas of the Cleveland Browns had an arm length of just 32 1/2 inches in 2007. Thomas was the third player taken overall that year and has been chosen for the Pro Bowl in each of his five NFL seasons

If he can perform like "More stubby" Thomas I think he would do fine.:D

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. Barron is out there. If Barron is out there with the above gone, I'd take him or Poe. Though I wouldn't be upset if Reiff were chosen. Barron/Poe would be possible BPA picks.

Then again we might have a shot at quite a few guys that could be BPA that aren't needs. Floyd would be my #1 of those types. Then Barron/Poe. Wouldn't hate on Brockers either.

Poe, CC, Dockett would be insane. I think Poe would open things up for Dockett making him more effective. I think Poe is the guy we wish Dan Williams was. (not hating on DW)

Floyd, Fitz would bring us back to an insane WR Duo.

In this video you can see that Reiff seems to do better against speed rushers than bull rushers. The guys he was going against seemed to be a little undersized, but he was having a little trouble holding the point. In this video he also seemed to have problems with stunts, and if a defender takes a step back it freezes him and the defender could just run on by. Didn't engage his defender on runs the opposite way a few times, which allows a defender to get back into the play.

But then again, seeing how much defenders would run right around our tackles for years, he'd probably solve that problem on his side. Even if he didn't hold the point as good as I'd like, it wasn't that bad. There's bigger players in the NFL, but John Lott might help equalize that a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWfhLJXbMnk

I would not be against it. Might be the right pick, but Poe/Barron is more of what I'd look at.

Between Floyd, Ingram, Kuechly, Barron, Reiff, Poe, Decastro that might be available, I think we are sitting pretty. I would be fine with any of these picks, and believe each one has some very special traits except Reiff, though given he can handle speed rushers, to us he would be very special, and is otherwise a solid OLmen.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I don't know. Barron is out there. If Barron is out there with the above gone, I'd take him or Poe. Though I wouldn't be upset if Reiff were chosen. Barron/Poe would be possible BPA picks.

Then again we might have a shot at quite a few guys that could be BPA that aren't needs. Floyd would be my #1 of those types. Then Barron/Poe. Wouldn't hate on Brockers either.

Poe, CC, Dockett would be insane. I think Poe would open things up for Dockett making him more effective. I think Poe is the guy we wish Dan Williams was. (not hating on DW)

Floyd, Fitz would bring us back to an insane WR Duo.

In this video you can see that Reiff seems to do better against speed rushers than bull rushers. The guys he was going against seemed to be a little undersized, but he was having a little trouble holding the point. In this video he also seemed to have problems with stunts, and if a defender takes a step back it freezes him and the defender could just run on by. Didn't engage his defender on runs the opposite way a few times, which allows a defender to get back into the play.

But then again, seeing how much defenders would run right around our tackles for years, he'd probably solve that problem on his side. Even if he didn't hold the point as good as I'd like, it wasn't that bad. There's bigger players in the NFL, but John Lott might help equalize that a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWfhLJXbMnk

I would not be against it. Might be the right pick, but Poe/Barron is more of what I'd look at.

Between Floyd, Ingram, Kuechly, Barron, Reiff, Poe, Decastro that might be available, I think we are sitting pretty. I would be fine with any of these picks, and believe each one has some very special traits except Reiff, though given he can handle speed rushers, to us he would be very special, and is otherwise a solid OLmen.

He was outstanding in the Mich. St. game.