Report: Wilks firing "a forgone conclusion"

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report: Steve Wilks’ firing “seems a foregone conclusion”

As the final Sunday of the regular season approaches, a team that saw its head coach retire a year ago could now have a vacancy arising in the more traditional way.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic characterizes the looming termination of first-year head coach Steve Wilks “seems a foregone conclusion.”

That’s a phrase Somers likely crafted carefully, choosing the right words to communicate the current sentiment, without putting a clear stake in the ground that Wilks is definitely out — since it’s entirely possible that the final decision hasn’t been made, and that if there’s a current lean by the organization something could, in theory, change it.

The notion of a coach getting only one year on the job always sparks surprise, but the reality is that plenty of coaches have found themselves out after only one year on the job. Wilks would join the likes of Chip Kelly and Jim Tomsula, a pair of back-to-back one-and-done coaches with the 49ers in 2016 and 2015, respectively. Before that were Browns coach Rob Chudzinski (2013), Jags coach Mike Mularkey (2012), Raider coach Hue Jackson (2011), Seahawks coach Jim More (2009), and Dolphins coach Cam Cameron (2007).

Other coaches fired after one season since 1980 include Art Shell (Raiders, 2006), Marty Schottenhimer (Washington, 2001), Al Groh (Jets, 2000), Ray Rhodes (Packers, 1999), Joe Bugel (Raiders, 1997), Pete Carroll (Jets, 1994), Richie Petitbon (Washington, 1993), Rod Rust (Patriots, 1990), and Les Steckel (Vikings, 1984).

The broader question will be whether the Cardinals also will fire G.M. Steve Keim. He seemed to be on thin ice after an arrest for extreme DUI, the misguided decision to pay more than $15 million for one year to Sam Bradford, and whatever role Keim had in the hiring of Wilks. But Somers believes Keim’s history will get him at least one more year. (It also helps to have a strong relationship with owner Michael Bidwill.)
And so, as the season comes to an end, it appears that WIlks will be, and that Keim will be safe. Ultimately, however, nothing is done until it’s done. Or as the case may be not done.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
First time I have ever rooted against a team of which I am a fan. And I have been a fan of UA, Suns, Cardinals since I was 6. I don’t care about the number 1 pick (especially without an Orlando Pace in the draft). Just want Wilks gone

OP
OP
Brak

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would be for giving the poor sap another year, but then I hear him either in an interview, or a presser, and ALL my alarms go off - this guy is in WAY over his head and MUST go, and NOW.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This really isn't rocket science. At halftime of our opener vs the Skins, I told my youngest son that Wilks was one and done. Skins had 22 first downs at the HALF!!!! We had 2. We ended the game with 4 stinking 1st downs against a mediocre 500 team. If I owned that team, I'm sure I would have fired him by the beginning of October. It was so obvious that this team was putrid, and had NO shot at getting better.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I hope it is true but unless Kent got his information straight from Mikes mouth its still just speculation the same as everyone on this board.
If any reporter knows it’s Kent! The guy has covered the Cards forever & I wouldn’t at all be shocked if Michael has told him & doesn’t want him to say anything until after that final whistle in Seattle.

Think about it, he’s already writing an article in the Az Republic with 2 games left in the season reporting this but not naming anyone or given more specifics. He’s very careful with his wording so I think he legitimately has first hand knowledge from someone inside that building

I personally think the odds of winning the lottery is higher than Wilks being retained by Big Red.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If any reporter knows it’s Kent! The guy has covered the Cards forever & I wouldn’t at all be shocked if Michael has told him & doesn’t want him to say anything until after that final whistle in Seattle.

Think about it, he’s already writing an article in the Az Republic with 2 games left in the season reporting this but not naming anyone or given more specifics. He’s very careful with his wording so I think he legitimately has first hand knowledge.

Yeah, I think Kent's source is someone between MB, Keim, Mark Dalton and Mike Disner

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Kent's source is someone between MB, Keim, Mark Dalton and Mike Disner
Yep. There’s no way Kent would throw this out there without info considering how close he is to the organization

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
The 1st overall pick would be a nice consolation price. So please don't screw this up Wilks!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. There’s no way Kent would throw this out there without info considering how close he is to the organization

Somers is well respected and one not to throw out rumors. Wilks will be gone on Black Monday. I'm just not sure about Keim, neither is Somers.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
More than the rumors or speculation, Michael's silence this season has been deafening. He's usually chirping about something but we really havent seen or heard a peep from him all season. That speaks louder than words.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The only thing that's encouraging about this is, Wilkes being let go after just 16 games argues for our awful performance to be more a function of poor coaching versus poor talent.

So I guess there's hope that a good coaching staff could get us back to .500 next year, and maybe we could be in the playoffs in two.

OP
OP
Brak

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder if another blowout could trigger immediate action? There HAS to be a limit to what MB can take. Getting blown out by a crappy 4-9 Atlanta team, giving up 40 unanswered points, had to get him closer to his breaking point. What happens if the Rams blow them out by 40+ at home this weekend, on what could be Larry's final day in a Cardinal uniform? In a half-empty stadium with more Rams fans than Cardinal fans? I'd love to be a fly on the wall on Monday morning on Hardy Drive.