Refinancing Advice?

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Okay - we've been thinking about refinancing, but I am so leery. I've heard sometimes the additional costs/fees tacked onto the principal outweigh the benefit of the lower monthly payment. I've also heard you have to be very careful, as there are a lot of unreputable companies out there. Finally, we are upside down; so, how does that work...or doesn't it??

If anyone has any helpful insights or guidance, or knows of a reputable mortgage company, it would be much appreciated!

In case it matters - we have a 30 year fixed FHA mortgage,and have been in the house for about 3 years.

Thank you!!

Kim :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to refinance if you are upside down.. I have perfect credit. Have been turned down for a refi by 3 different banks. Just due to being upside down. They just aren't going to loan on a house worth less than your getting a loan for... Also you can shop and negotiate your closing costs.

I have a rule that unless I can cut the interest rate by at least 1.5% it's not worth it.

Been trying cus I'm at 6.5 and banks were offering 4... That's well worth the refi costs. They just won't let me.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so the first thing you need to understand is that local mortgage brokers don't own your mortgage. They make a commission off selling your mortgage to a big bank like Countrywide or Chase Manhatten or B of A.

If you choose to refinance, just get quotes for a no-fee refinance. All the paperwork and closing costs and other fees are buried into the cost of the mortgage. Maybe not the best-best way to do it, but it allows you to compare. Makes it equal.

Advantage of doing a non-inclusive mortgage is you get to fully tax-deduct any expenses in this fiscal year. Advantage of doing an inclusive mortgage is that you can bury that cost year over year and deduct.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to refinance if you are upside down.. I have perfect credit. Have been turned down for a refi by 3 different banks. Just due to being upside down. They just aren't going to loan on a house worth less than your getting a loan for... Also you can shop and negotiate your closing costs.

I have a rule that unless I can cut the interest rate by at least 1.5% it's not worth it.

Been trying cus I'm at 6.5 and banks were offering 4... That's well worth the refi costs. They just won't let me.

Ouch. That sucks. I re-fid twice from 7.75 down to 6.8 down to 5.5. Then I just paid the sucker off.

Did not consider the upside-down thing. Yeah, that going to be a problem.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. That sucks. I re-fid twice from 7.75 down to 6.8 down to 5.5. Then I just paid the sucker off.

Did not consider the upside-down thing. Yeah, that going to be a problem.

yup..It totally blows and it pisses me off.. With divorce and pay cuts I could really use the lower payment.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
About to get under 4% with negative points. This will be my second refi in 3 years.

Dear USAA...... I love you.

OP
OP
Brian

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! :)

I was afraid being underwater would be an issue, but thought I would double-check...

p.s. Shane - sorry to hear about your divorce and dept cuts!

Thanks again - Kim

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! :)

I was afraid being underwater would be an issue, but thought I would double-check...

p.s. Shane - sorry to hear about your divorce and dept cuts!

Thanks again - Kim

Thanks my friend!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard