Red Dead Redemption

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Anyone picked this up yet? Its getting rave reviews everywhere... I'm going to get it asap.

IGN.com said:
You must be registered for see images attach

The American West has made actors famous and writers rich. It has inspired children on the playground and grizzled country singers alike. Its stories of heroes and bandits, gold rushes and simple homesteaders have been fictionalized and romanticized to the point that they're known the world over. And yet, videogame makers have either ignored the setting or attempted to squeeze it into existing game conventions with limited success. That has all changed now that Rockstar, the group made famous for its Grand Theft Auto series, turned its eye towards the Wild West. No game maker has approached the period with as much passion and power as Red Dead Redemption. This is the new bar that all Westerns must strive to reach.

It's tempting to say that Red Dead Redemption is ahead of its time, but the reality is that this is a game of and for the times. Rockstar shows an uncanny ability to hold a mirror up to society and remind us that present day hot button issues like racism, immigration, federal government power and personal freedoms are not only nothing new, they are deeply ingrained in American society. They are forces that helped to shape America into what it is, and their inclusion in Red Dead Redemption gives it a sense of authenticity that videogames in general lack.

Read More...

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about this from my friends who have it already.

"Stellar" is the common word I hear from those who have played it.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Got it yesterday. Think Grand Teft Auto in the Wild West and you'll understand it. So far, I am an hour in and I love it.

Almost anything I have imagined, the game has let me do it including treasure hunting, hunting/skinning local wildlife, and hunted down men on wanted posters.

Not so sure it is historically correct though. The intro scenes talk about a guy who wants to be Governor of a "state". The game is set in 1911, so it can't be AZ or NM. But alot of the landscape has saguaro cacti, which of course would indicate it is set in AZ. Okay, my anal nitpicking aside, this game rocks.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Amazing story! Truly great game. Set in many different places but no place in particular (except Mexico). Deffinetly a game worth getting (and this coming from a guy who feels I've been robbed walking out of Gamestop).

OP
OP
dogpoo32

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
My wife got it for me for our anniversary and I love it! I have only gotten to play about 4 hours so far. I'm thinking of restarting the game because my friend's kid was playing and failing missions left and right. As well as purchasing lots of snake oil...

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My wife got it for me for our anniversary and I love it! I have only gotten to play about 4 hours so far. I'm thinking of restarting the game because my friend's kid was playing and failing missions left and right. As well as purchasing lots of snake oil...

What a great wife.... lol

Hey babe... Happy Anniversary... Now go away and play some video games alone.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not so sure it is historically correct though. The intro scenes talk about a guy who wants to be Governor of a "state". The game is set in 1911, so it can't be AZ or NM. But alot of the landscape has saguaro cacti, which of course would indicate it is set in AZ. Okay, my anal nitpicking aside, this game rocks.

It's in the Rockstar Universe. Liberty City = NYC, Vice City = Miami, San Andreas = Los Angeles. This takes place in a fictional old west that's a cross between Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

BTW it's a great game.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just finished Heavy Rain,i still go online regularly to M.A.G. and the original RFOM.
I don't have much room for another game but Red Dead does sound cool ,GTA:San Andreas is still my all time favorite(i still play it every now & then......they call me the Ghetto Star :D) so i may have to get this until Fallout Vegas is released and it takes control of my life for 2 months.

Last edited:

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I want to buy this game but I cant find it anywhere.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Im in Queen Creek, if I go to Fiesta Mall I need to pack an overnight bag. Ill go check it out this week. I tried to download it from the Playstation store but it isnt there yet.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great game. The only part I don't like is they set it at the end of the Wild West. That is why I love the game. Any sequel would have to be even more modern. I hope if they do a sequel it's more of a prequel.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loving the game too.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I finally got it and I havent stopped playing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished the single player mode. Now I am working on multiplayer mode challenges etc.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just finished the single player mode. Now I am working on multiplayer mode challenges etc.
Nice. I'm getting close to finishing the story mode. I've already delved into multiplayer with a few friends and i'm starting to reap the rewards of leveling up. :)

What a fantastic game.

Fallout Vegas is right around the corner followed by Deus Ex 3 so i need to get moving on finishing RDR.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fallout Vegas is right around the corner followed by Deus Ex 3 so i need to get moving on finishing RDR.

I'm in the same boat. Want to finish RDR to get ready for Fallout.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for Fallout Vegas either but honestly I can't get enough of RDR. It's not a stop gap for me at all.

I didn't mean it that way. In fact, I feel a little dirty in that I didn't get a chance to play RDR yesterday. I've been looking forward to Fallout for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard