On the menu:

Asparagus appetizer

Bruschetta appetizer

Rolled and stuffed flank steak and fresh marinara

Salmon baked in puff pastry with a scallop spinach mousse

Boiled new potatoes with a champagne chive butter sauce

Seafood lasagna with white parmesan sauce

Chorizo and beef burger stuffed with habanero jack cheese

Yeah. Y'all didn't know I could throw down like that....

Are we going to get to see some of these yummy sounding recipes? :(

AZZenny

Reaction score
I was in the mood for lamb stew, which I love and never think to make. After gathering the stuff for a traditional old lamb stew, saw a recipe for lamb and winter vegetables on Allrecipes.com and was laughing that every single review on the site says 'this was a great recipe -- I used X instead of that, left out Y, quadrupled the amount of Z -- it was wonderful' Then I did the same, so here's my version. The prep is pretty easy -- just cutting veggies and sauteeing lamb, then it can either bake for 2-3 hours, or sit in a crockpot for 5-8 hours. Best if reheated and served the next day. This makes enough for 4 people, or freeze portions.

2.5-3 lbs rolled lamb roast, cut in 1 to 1.5 inch cubes
1/2 - 3/4 c flour, salt (~1/2-1 tsp) and pepper (1/2-3/4 tsp)

2 strips bacon
olive oil
thyme - 1 tsp dry rubbed herb or more -should be a strong presence
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 - 2 cans beef broth

1 small portobello mushroom, chopped
1-2 large scrubbed yukon gold potato, ~1-inch cubes (or a dozen small red or white potatoes)
1 -2 cup peeled baby carrots, cut in halves
8-12 peeled boiling onions, or 1 sweet onion cut in 1" chunks, or 1 pkg frozen pearl onions
1 smallish peeled sweet potato or yam (or use leftover cooked)
1-2 large parsnips, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch rounds *
1 - 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and 1" cubed

optional: 1 cup dark beer, or red wine
1/2 cup sour cream

large frying pan
large ovenproof covered casserole or slow cooker

Fry bacon until just crisp, to make grease, and set bacon aside. Add olive oil to coat frying pan thickly.

Dredge cubed lamb in flour with 1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt and ~ 1/2 tsp fresh coarsely ground black pepper, and dump in hot oiled frying pan. Saute/sear quickly, stirring, letting flour brown but not burn.

Add 1 can beef broth and deglaze pan. Transfer into a large casserole or slow-cooker. Add crumbled bacon, herbs, crushed garlic cloves, and all veggies except butternut squash. Add ~ 4 cups water, or you can use half beef broth, or use up to a cup of dark beer or red wine in place of some of the water. (The wine is esp good if made with with beef rather than lamb.)

* Parsnip has a sweet, distinctive flavor and I think is important to the aroma and flavor, but you could probably leave it out. If you like turnip or rutabaga, you could also add that in, I imagine. All veggie amounts are subject to availability and preference.

Cover and bake in a 350 oven, or in a crockpot, until meat and veggies are very tender, but at least 2 hrs in oven. Stir once or twice during cooking process if you think of it. An hour before it's done, adjust salt and pepper -- it should have a mild pepper tang -- add in butternut squash and finish cooking. (If you won't have time, add it in at the beginning with everything else, but it's a nice touch to have it identifiable in the stew.) If desired, serve with a small dollop of sour cream on top of each bowl (or blend in sour cream and reheat shortly before serving)

Serve with a crusty bread or garlic bread and a mixed green salad (with oranges and nuts is great).

Last edited:

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's an easy one

This one is very easy to make and is very good.

Ingredients:

1 decent sized chuck roast (on sale at Safeway this week at 1.69/lb)
2 medium jars of pepperochinis
1 lb sliced mushrooms

Throw the roast into a crock pot and empty the entire contents of the 1 or 2 jars of pepperochinis over the roast. Toss in the mushrooms. Turn crock pot on low and go to work.
On the way home, stop and by a package of good hoagie rolls.

Arrive home, pull roast out of pot and pull apart (texture similar to pulled pork).
Remove stems from pepperochinis and toss back back in the crock pot aong with the roast. There should be a good deal of liquid in there.

Pile the mixture (include a little juice to get the bread a little soggy) onto the hoagie roll and chow down! Very good topped with a little provolone cheese.
I wouldn't call it an Italian beef, but it is simply fantastic.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pork Chops

A really cool friend of mine gave me this recipe...it's delicious & very very easy. Even my picky daughter loved it.

Ingredients:

Pork Chops (whatever kind...doesn't matter)
Can of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes (drained)
Shredded Cheese (cheddar/monterey jack blend is what I used)
Oregano
Basil

Cook the pork chops over medium heat in a skillet on the stovetop, until almost completely cooked through (I used a meat thermometer & pulled them off at 140 degrees). Transfer to a baking dish. Top the pork chops with the drained, diced tomatoes. Cover with shredded cheese & a sprinkle of oregano & basil. Cook in 325 degree oven for 10 min or so until cheese is melted. This was really simple but really really good!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bunkhouse Stroganoff Squares

This came out of my Land O' Lakes cookbook...fabulous recipe--definitely worth the time & trouble. I hadn't made it in years, and decided to make it tonight. Could easily be made vegetarian by using soy crumbles.

Stroganoff:

2 c. mushrooms, sliced 1/4" thick
1 c. chopped onion
2 lb. ground beef
1 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme leaves

Crust:
3 c. flour
2 tbsp. instant minced onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. shortening
1 egg, slightly beaten
6 to 8 tbsp. cold water

1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp. milk

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In 10" skillet cook mushrooms, onions & ground beef over med high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned. Drain off fat. Stir in remaining stroganoff ingredients; cook over med. heat until cream cheese is melted. In large bowl stir together flour, minced onion, 1 tsp salt, sugar & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cut in butter & shortening until crumbly. With fork mix in 1 egg and water until flour is moistened. Divide dough into (not quite) half; shape into 2 balls & flatten. Wrap smaller ball in plastic wrap ; refrigerate. On lightly floured surface roll out larger ball into 14" square. Place in 9" sq. baking pan. Trim pastry to 1/2" from rim of pan. Fill with stroganoff mixture. Roll remaining pastry ball into 10" square. Place over stroganoff mixture. Trim pastry if needed. Roll edges of dough under to form rim inside of pan; crimp or flute crust. With sharp knife, cut an "X" in each 3" square of pastry to decorate 9 squares. In small bowl stir together 1 egg & milk; brush over pastry. Bake for 35 to 45 min. or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into squares.

YUMMY.

Last edited:

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A really cool friend of mine gave me this recipe...it's delicious & very very easy. Even my picky daughter loved it.

Ingredients:

Pork Chops (whatever kind...doesn't matter)
Can of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes (drained)
Shredded Cheese (cheddar/monterey jack blend is what I used)
Oregano
Basil

Cook the pork chops over medium heat in a skillet on the stovetop, until almost completely cooked through (I used a meat thermometer & pulled them off at 140 degrees). Transfer to a baking dish. Top the pork chops with the drained, diced tomatoes. Cover with shredded cheese & a sprinkle of oregano & basil. Cook in 325 degree oven for 10 min or so until cheese is melted. This was really simple but really really good!
Sounds really good and simple. I'll try this Sunday. My next day off. Thanks

This board is great man I'm telling you. I could live on here.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You need, I never measure anything.

Bread, your choice, sourdough is really cool, or honey wheat.
Mozz cheese, and some american too.
Butter
Olive oil
Deli Ham, really thin!
A food processer
Italian seasonings, your preference. I use basil, and regular Italian seasoning. The cheap stuff works.
Honey
Garlic, be it powder or already minced, don't use the cloves IMO. (for this particular recipe)

Put Mozz cheese and some Am. cheese, hint of honey, seasonings, salt, pepper, garlic,and butter in your processer. Mix to a thick paste.
Rub your paste on each side of each bread.

Take some butter with a touch of garlic and melt them, using a brush, get the other side of the bread you have put the paste on.

Put the sandwich together with ham in the middle of them. Brown well on each side, remember sourdough takes longer to brown or toast.

You can get fancy with this, using your own mix for the cheese paste or if you feel up to it, you can make a dipping sauce with a ham base.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn