RB position could be a major issue

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This staff has lost faith in DJ to be a decent RB for the future. I don’t think he saw the field today. If Drake goes elsewhere, The only back we have that fits this system is Edmonds. I think Keim is putting a lot of hope in getting Drake to return. If he doesn’t one more big hole to fill

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What is the process if we want to keep Drake?

Sorry I'm not across all the rules for player signings, contracts, free agency etc

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can other clubs sign him as well or do we have first rights?

And is there a time period or window we need to wait for or can he sign with anyone anytime?

Free agent means he can sign with anyone under any terms any time, with caveats. Free agency signing starts in March. The cards could make him an offer he can't refuse before that and they might, but if not he will likely sign with the highest bidder in March. There is a risk reward to a player waiting for free agency just like there is for a club to sign before free agency.

Once free agency happens you are open to a bidding war as a club. However, a player might over play their hand and wait for offers, not get what they expected and could have got a better offer from their current team and that offer is no longer on the table and you end up playing for less. It's all part of the dance and that is why their agents are paid to get them the best outcome.

Where things get more tricky is unrestricted vs restricted free agents. With restricted FA you get into draft pick compensation and first right of refusal and such. IIRC this is Drake's 4th season so he would be unrestricted.

Last edited:

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's a buyers market for RBs this year (and many years) it just remains to be seen if the Cards are buying.

Between the draft and FA there should be a number of backs better than anyone on our roster now.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. You guys never cease to amaze me. We prob have the deepest/overall best RB group in the NFL lol. Two of them are still under contract for next year and the third is getting ready to sign his extension. What are you even talking about? If we move one or two in the offseason, the third will be the starter and we will do what smart teams do and make sure to continuously bring in new young talent at the position.