Ranked in Both Polls/Momo Pac-10 Player of the Week

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It'd be nice and although ASU sucks they haven't really been blown out yet.

Beat ASU, get Chol, and all next week is a coronation of sorts for UofA Basketball.

No kidding... although we've won what, 7 out of the last 9, I would hope that you have your sights set higher. Regardless, a blowout seems unlikely. ASU hung tough at McKale, I expect them to do as much in Tempe.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
No kidding... although we've won what, 7 out of the last 9, I would hope that you have your sights set higher. Regardless, a blowout seems unlikely. ASU hung tough at McKale, I expect them to do as much in Tempe.

Ill learn everything I need to know about this team this weekend.

Somehow I don't think our bitter rival who have lost a kajillion in a row is going to be a tough game to get up for.

But hey keep repping that 7 out of 9 streak that is essentially irrelevant at this point.

You must be registered for see images

LOL is ASU really STILL talking trash about basketball to us?!?!?! An believe me we do have our sights set higher. I just can't believe you would bring up 7 out of 9? LMAO

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ill learn everything I need to know about this team this weekend.

Somehow I don't think our bitter rival who have lost a kajillion in a row is going to be a tough game to get up for.

But hey keep repping that 7 out of 9 streak that is essentially irrelevant at this point.

You must be registered for see images

LOL is ASU really STILL talking trash about basketball to us?!?!?! An believe me we do have our sights set higher. I just can't believe you would bring up 7 out of 9? LMAO

A kajillion huh?

And the streak clearly isn't irrelevant to you or any other U of A fans. I know it's stuck in your craw that ASU has gotten the better of the Cats over the last couple years.

Glad that you are so proud of that punk Parrom, if you're impressed by his fugazi antics, that says a lot about you.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
A kajillion huh?

And the streak clearly isn't irrelevant to you or any other U of A fans. I know it's stuck in your craw that ASU has gotten the better of the Cats over the last couple years.

Glad that you are so proud of that punk Parrom, if you're impressed by his fugazi antics, that says a lot about you.

I LOVE Kevin Parrom and I am pretty sure EVERY Wildcat fan feels the same. Sorry.

And the streak IS irrelevant to us. It was after the last 2 pummelings. You guys had a regular season streak against us in the lowest point of our program in 25 years and we still made the tournament more times then you in that period. Who cares other then your fanbase who has nothing to enjoy this season so are celebrating regular season wins from 2007? I don't even remember our Conference record those years.

You had it right in the beginning. Our sites are set higher. I'm not even into this next game. My sites are set on UW and UCLA.

Welcome back to twice a season azz whuppings going forward. :thumbup:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I can't believe Lisa Love still has a job after the Erickson and Sendek hires. She's become Jim Livengood Part Deux.

Erickson has been a whiff, there's no doubt about that. While Herb may never be a "home run" hire, I think he's done a pretty good job considering where the team was post Evans. I agree though, Love is in way over her head.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It really doesn't bother me the 7 out of 9 thing. For starters it's because expectations were really low considering who our coaches were and we still managed to make it into the NCAA Tournament twice and have decent results in the second one which is more than I can say about the sleeping giant in Tempe.

But most importantly it doesn't bother me because Arizona Basketball is bigger than it's rivalry with ASU. We're in the business of winning championships. They're in the business of hopefully getting into the field of 64. Why else would Herb Sendek reach almost deity status over there? I can tell you as a 100% fact that if Sean Miller's resume after five years looks like Herb Sendek's at ASU he will be run out of Tucson on a rail. Of course that won;t happen because Miller is only a few weeks away from doing something that Herb has never done in a major conference ever and that's win a championship. I won't even go into the other things that Herb only dreams of that Miller does regularly (like have NCAA Tournament success, recruit elite players, not bore his own team's fans to death, etc).

Lastly, it doesn't bother me because Arizona is going to be a top 10 team as soon as next year if not a few weeks while ASU is stuck in a major rut. They never have been nor will be on our level no matter what happens on Sunday.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It really doesn't bother me the 7 out of 9 thing. For starters it's because expectations were really low considering who our coaches were and we still managed to make it into the NCAA Tournament twice and have decent results in the second one which is more than I can say about the sleeping giant in Tempe.

But most importantly it doesn't bother me because Arizona Basketball is bigger than it's rivalry with ASU. We're in the business of winning championships. They're in the business of hopefully getting into the field of 64. Why else would Herb Sendek reach almost deity status over there? I can tell you as a 100% fact that if Sean Miller's resume after five years looks like Herb Sendek's at ASU he will be run out of Tucson on a rail. Of course that won;t happen because Miller is only a few weeks away from doing something that Herb has never done in a major conference ever and that's win a championship. I won't even go into the other things that Herb only dreams of that Miller does regularly (like have NCAA Tournament success, recruit elite players, not bore his own team's fans to death, etc).

Lastly, it doesn't bother me because Arizona is going to be a top 10 team as soon as next year if not a few weeks while ASU is stuck in a major rut. They never have been nor will be on our level no matter what happens on Sunday.

Nuff said. :thumbup:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I LOVE Kevin Parrom and I am pretty sure EVERY Wildcat fan feels the same. Sorry.

Ha, no need to apologize. He's a punk, and what he did to Abbott was a puss move.

And the streak IS irrelevant to us. It was after the last 2 pummelings. You guys had a regular season streak against us in the lowest point of our program in 25 years and we still made the tournament more times then you in that period. Who cares other then your fanbase who has nothing to enjoy this season so are celebrating regular season wins from 2007? I don't even remember our Conference record those years.

Hilarious that a U of A fan talks about how irrelevant streaks are. That's all we ever hear from Cats fans. It's hilarious, you have your first decent season since Lute left, and the arrogance in back in full force. Sadly, not unexpected.

You had it right in the beginning. Our sites are set higher. I'm not even into this next game. My sites are set on UW and UCLA.

Funny, you didn't mention either earlier in the thread, and you're only mention was praying for an ASU blowout, which you couldn't even accomplish this year at McKale. I simply thought it was a little sad that you're so focused on beating currently the worst team in the Pac 10.

Welcome back to twice a season azz whuppings going forward. :thumbup:

We'll see about that. I certainly don't expect to get another 7 of 9 streak going soon, but I think it'll be more competitive than your arrogant prediction. Then again, you and other Cats fans have been predicting a return to glory every since Lute left, so maybe you'll finally be right.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Herb is the exact kind of coach you want at your rival (kind of like Mike Stoops). Never good enough to be a threat but never bad enough to get fired. It's kind of funny how much his career here mirrors his time at State. Had a good thing going over there and beat up on his rival without accomplishing much otherwise when Doherty and Guthridge were screwing the pooch but once Roy came back order was quickly restored.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hilarious that a U of A fan talks about how irrelevant streaks are. That's all we ever hear from Cats fans. It's hilarious, you have your first decent season since Lute left, and the arrogance in back in full force. Sadly, not unexpected.
About as hilarious as ASU fans recent arrogance over accomplishing nothing as a program except beating up on Russ Pennell and Kevin O'Neill.

And if UofA's last three season prior to this one were not decent, then what do you call those of your alma mater?

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ha, no need to apologize. He's a punk, and what he did to Abbott was a puss move.

Funny, you didn't mention either earlier in the thread, and you're only mention was praying for an ASU blowout, which you couldn't even accomplish this year at McKale. I simply thought it was a little sad that you're so focused on beating currently the worst team in the Pac 10.

We'll see about that. I certainly don't expect to get another 7 of 9 streak going soon, but I think it'll be more competitive than your arrogant prediction. Then again, you and other Cats fans have been predicting a return to glory every since Lute left, so maybe you'll finally be right.

Awww I missed the days of being called an arrogant UA fan.

Arrogant = Back on the national radar. And yes I was "praying" earlier in the thread.

I also missed you Chris but this post of yours just brought back a flood of good memories. I taste your tears bud!

You must be registered for see images attach

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Man I am on fire with the Google Images today :)

I am just rubbing in a little before this weekends game Chris.

But man I am glad to see the quick progress in just Year 2 and Sean Miller leading this program with Greg Byrne as the AD. Couldn't ask for a better young and up and coming combo.

Nothing ASU says is gonna take that away from me.

And if you watched the game in Tucson....it was a blowout. UA dominated form the mid first half on. Did it even get closer then 7 in the second half?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But most importantly it doesn't bother me because Arizona Basketball is bigger than it's rivalry with ASU.

I would hope so. Again, that's setting the bar pretty low.

We're in the business of winning championships.

If so, then business has been pretty crappy. With the exception of one magical run, U of A hoops hasn't been a legit title contender since the Illinois debacle.

They're in the business of hopefully getting into the field of 64. Why else would Herb Sendek reach almost deity status over there?

Baby steps. And while Herb is admired for his results, and his improved recruiting, I'd say deity status is pretty extreme hyperbole. Should U of A hoops be better than ASU as time goes on? Of course. But the arrogance of Cats fans is intolerable, and while I'd like to root for another AZ team, it's almost impossible.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
About as hilarious as ASU fans recent arrogance over accomplishing nothing as a program except beating up on Russ Pennell and Kevin O'Neill.

And if UofA's last three season prior to this one were not decent, then what do you call those of your alma mater?

Don't know what ASU fans you're around, but I think most of them are pretty realistic about where the program is...a lower tier Pac-10 program that has enjoyed better success under a decent coach.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Awww I missed the days of being called an arrogant UA fan.

Lol, that's a strange thing to pine for, but glad I could bring those feelings rushing back.

Arrogant = Back on the national radar.

Naw, win something of significance, and people will be talking about U of A being "back". Do I expect it to happen with Miller? I wouldn't be surprised. But getting a hard on after half a season of success seems a bit premature.

I also missed you Chris but this post of yours just brought back a flood of good memories. I taste your tears bud!

Top 3 episode, but not entirely appropriate. Rarely are tears shed in Tempe over college hoops. Don't get me wrong, it's nicer when you're team is winning, but not a huge deal to ASU fans in the grand scheme of things.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But man I am glad to see the quick progress in just Year 2 and Sean Miller leading this program with Greg Byrne as the AD. Couldn't ask for a better young and up and coming combo.

A shame things didn't work out with Tim Floyd...:D

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score

Hasn't asu only won, 6 out of the last 8??

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Top 3 episode, but not entirely appropriate. Rarely are tears shed in Tempe over college hoops. Don't get me wrong, it's nicer when you're team is winning, but not a huge deal to ASU fans in the grand scheme of things.

And that is why ASU basketball will never be more relevant than a low seed in March or high seed in the NIT.

In 20 years of UA basketball, there are 2, maybe 3 bad years. In 20 years of ASU basketball, there are 2, maybe 3 GOOD years. And let's not mince words, they were never THAT good.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miller has done a fabulous job but I think if Indiana had a conference rival implode and essentially hand over 3 incoming freshmen who are now starters, one of whom is the best player in the conference, and a lottery pick, that IU would be further along too.

Miller has been great in subsequent recruiting but to be fair if USC doesn't implode they probably only wind up with Hill. Williams and Jones seemed inclined to stay with USC until Floyd bolted, they both knew full well what issues there were when they signed with USC.

I don't know when Katz made his 7 year plan comments but possibly before he knew about Williams, Hill and Jones to UA?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/22653/katz-observations-from-the-week-3

When Arizona was looking for a coach two years ago, the Wildcats were staring at a decimated roster and what could have turned into an Indiana-like implosion. But then Tim Floyd resigned at USC and the Trojans’ recruiting class migrated to Tucson. The addition of Xavier’s Sean Miller ended up being the perfect marriage. What looked like a five- to seven-year reclamation project has turned into a two-year turnaround. The quick fix has Arizona atop the Pac-10 and almost certainly back into the NCAA tournament. The Wildcats are 9-2 in conference play after the weekend sweep in the Bay Area, including a triple-overtime thriller at Cal. Arizona couldn’t rely on Derrick Williams since he fouled out toward the end of regulation. Yet the play of Lamont Jones and Kevin Parrom ended up being the difference for the Cats, who were poised throughout every run by Cal. Arizona still has to go to UCLA, but the schedule is favorable from this point forward. The Wildcats have four home games, including a visit from Washington. Even though Zona has only a one-game lead on UCLA in the loss column, anything less than a Pac-10 title at this juncture would be deemed a disappointment by the passionate UA fan base. That’s how high Miller has raised the bar in such a short amount of time. And don’t expect Arizona to slide back one bit in the future either.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
A shame things didn't work out with Tim Floyd...:D

Eh, Tim Floyd still would've been better than Sendek.

If so, then business has been pretty crappy. With the exception of one magical run, U of A hoops hasn't been a legit title contender since the Illinois debacle.
That was only five years ago. And since then, during our down cycle we've been to the NCAA Tournament four times with one Sweet 16 and produced three lottery picks. Not a bad transition.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, Tim Floyd still would've been better than Sendek.

That was only five years ago. And since then, during our down cycle we've been to the NCAA Tournament four times with one Sweet 16 and produced three lottery picks. Not a bad transition.

Honestly? I think there's always luck involved in anything but UA was after Calipari who I think is a probation waiting to happen and probably would have been caught faster in the Pac 10 than in the SEC(where that stuff is tolerated so other coaches complain less). Then they went to Floyd who got USC on probation and has started out his time at UTEP with a bang, hired 2 coaches to get players, one of the players didn't qualify academically and they're now investigating whether UTEP provided improper academic assistance to try and get him qualified(ie academic fraud). One of the best players on the team quit and popped off about the coach, another player turned pro to avoid him, another one transferred out.

I think Floyd would have been a disaster at UA, especially since he allegedly guaranteed them he did nothing wrong and USC wouldn't get punished.

Miller has turned out to be a godsend, sometimes it works that way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Honestly? I think there's always luck involved in anything but UA was after Calipari who I think is a probation waiting to happen and probably would have been caught faster in the Pac 10 than in the SEC(where that stuff is tolerated so other coaches complain less). Then they went to Floyd who got USC on probation and has started out his time at UTEP with a bang, hired 2 coaches to get players, one of the players didn't qualify academically and they're now investigating whether UTEP provided improper academic assistance to try and get him qualified(ie academic fraud). One of the best players on the team quit and popped off about the coach, another player turned pro to avoid him, another one transferred out.

I think Floyd would have been a disaster at UA, especially since he allegedly guaranteed them he did nothing wrong and USC wouldn't get punished.

He didn't say Floyd would be GOOD, just better than Sendek. ;)

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

I think had the Floyd thing happened UA would've stuck behind their guns long enough for Floyd to get cleared like he eventually did at USC. At which point he would've had Solo and Momo with him in Tucson along with whatever recruits (the guy is a monster recruiter despite or maybe because of his shadiness) he got.

But you're right - Miller is 100x better.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think had the Floyd thing happened UA would've stuck behind their guns long enough for Floyd to get cleared like he eventually did at USC. At which point he would've had Solo and Momo with him in Tucson along with whatever recruits (the guy is a monster recruiter despite or maybe because of his shadiness) he got.

But you're right - Miller is 100x better.

Floyd wasn't cleared, they just said they had no proof he paid Guillory. If you read the report they detailed several violations including him using Guillory as a go between when the NCAA had already declared Guillory to be a booster for USC. That was a rules violation, why the NCAA didn't nail him on it I don't know but it's in the report clear as day.

He's a bad guy, he'll get UTEP in trouble too if they're not careful, they're already being investigated for academic fraud with Rashanti Harris.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison