Random California Doctor says JJ Watt should have an Ablation

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Per BobMcManaman--

a doctor at St Johns Health center in Santa Monica is recommending JJ Watt have a catheter ablation to fix the cells in his heart that are misfiring. He would then go on blood thinners for two months

Doctor recommends doing this as soon as possible so he can come back later this season.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That seems to be an alarmist take. Is it continuing to misfire? Did I miss where it came back?

Watt said himself that many doctors he consulted said it may happen later on or never happen again. I can see if it became a regular issue, but if it's a one-off or something that may return after he retires, there's no need to rush into it.

Does he give a rationale for why now it's needed?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have had 3 ablations done on my heart to help with AFib. I still go into AFib but I'm able to self convert back to a normal rhythm now so I don't need to get shocked anymore (knock on wood). An Ablation is not a guaranteed fix for AFib. I had my ablations done after the Medications I was taking didn't help with AFib.

There is no need to have an Ablation done right away. JJ has only went into AFib once. There are medications he can try before going the Ablation route. He may never go back into AFib for all we know. This is something that could be completed in the offseason if needed.

Also and ablation doesn't "fix" the cells in the heart. An ablation makes a burn on the inside of the heart wall that creates a scar and hopefully "Breaks" the bad nerve cells from firing and causing the arrhythmia.

Last edited:

letbob

Reaction score
So I have had 3 ablations done on my heart to help with AFib. I still go into AFib but I'm able to self convert back to a normal rhythm now so I don't need to get shocked anymore (knock on wood). An Ablation is not a guaranteed fix for AFib. I had my ablations done after the Medications I was taking didn't help with AFib.

There is no need to have an Ablation done right away. JJ has only went into AFib once. There are medications he can try before going the Ablation route. He may never go back into AFib for all we know. This is something that could be completed in the offseason if needed.

Also and ablation doesn't "fix" the cells in the heart. An ablation makes a burn on the inside of the heart wall that creates a scar and hopefully "Breaks" the bad nerve cells from firing and causing the arrhythmia.
Well said. Most all Electrophysiologists would concur.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don’t think its malpractice but at least unethical to do by standards for an MD
My brother is a doctor, and he would have a total anxiety attack if he blurted out an opinion without ever seeing a patient... yeah, that behavior can get one fired from their respective facility

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think all the handwringing here is pretty comical considering pretty much everyone on the board was lining up with any doctor, nurse or actor who might have played a doctor or nurse, commenting on Tua last week even though none of the people commenting had personally seen Tua.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I do think all the handwringing here is pretty comical considering pretty much everyone on the board was lining up with any doctor, nurse or actor who might have played a doctor or nurse, commenting on Tua last week even though none of the people commenting had personally seen Tua.
I'd say this is because we have all heard so much info on concussions and CTE that we all actually have at least a slightly informed opinion on the topic.

Cardiac issues? Ablations? Might as well be discussing voodoo.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thanks for chiming in with your personal experience.

Question, did JJ state that he has only went into AFib once? I am wondering how we know that.

If this is his first one and he is stable, it is sounding like the standard protocol would be to try medications or other less invasive options before the ablation.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in with your personal experience.

Question, did JJ state that he has only went into AFib once? I am wondering how we know that.

If this is his first one and he is stable, it is sounding like the standard protocol would be to try medications or other less invasive options before the ablation.

I’m guessing by his reaction in his press conference and emotion + comments related to the whole situation? I’d be very much willing to bet it’s probably his first issue with it. It’s scary the first time going through it with my son… Now I don’t even worry about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson