Quick Reactions - Preseason Game 2

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
This is silly. He didn’t look scared. He wasn’t flinching at ghosts. He was under duress. Did he overcome that? No. But to say he looked scared is just silly.

I guess? Overthrowing everything, falling on his ass in the endzone for a safety? I don't know, maybe he was scared, maybe he wasn't. He still played like crap.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
To whom are you talking? I've been here THE WHOLE TIME. Look around and see who slunk back to their "lairs" after taking huge victory laps last week after one series that failed to cross midfield.

I'm not sure if it's perceived that I "took a huge victory lap" last week, but I'll stick my head above the parapet anyway.

I think Murray's performance, and the team's overall performance, were both a little disappointing. It's only preseason however.

And, I don't really care if Murray starts out the season poorly.

I do expect that, by the end of the season (i.e games 14, 15, and 16), he appears to be a competent starting NFL quarterback (i.e. posting QB ratings of 85+ in those games).

Which is kind of in line with what you posted "for the record" earlier (that you think K1 and K2 will figure it out).

Anyway, don't really have a lot else to say about last night, except that it's interesting to see the unheralded Sherfield emerging from the pack. He appears to be a lock to make the roster, and could even challenge for the #3 spot. Fitz, Kirk, Johnson, Isabella, Sherfield, Butler and... probably Byrd I'm guessing.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I guess? Overthrowing everything, falling on his ass in the endzone for a safety? I don't know, maybe he was scared, maybe he wasn't. He still played like crap.
Well there is a very important distinction between playing poorly and being scared. Being scared is essentially a death sentence for an NFL QB, but playing poorly can be fixed.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's perceived that I "took a huge victory lap" last week, but I'll stick my head above the parapet anyway.

I think Murray's performance, and the team's overall performance, were both a little disappointing. It's only preseason however.

And, I don't really care if Murray starts out the season poorly.

I do expect that, by the end of the season (i.e games 14, 15, and 16), he appears to be a competent starting NFL quarterback (i.e. posting QB ratings of 85+ in those games).

Which is kind of in line with what you posted "for the record" earlier (that you think K1 and K2 will figure it out).

Anyway, don't really have a lot else to say about last night, except that it's interesting to see the unheralded Sherfield emerging from the pack. He appears to be a lock to make the roster, and could even challenge for the #3 spot. Fitz, Kirk, Johnson, Isabella, Sherfield, Butler and... probably Byrd I'm guessing.
So we go from all you guys saying this could be a 8 or 9+ win team to him just being average by week 14? That’s a big change in expectation. I’ve said from the beginning this is a 5 win team so last night wasn’t a shocker. I’m full prepped for another top 5 pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My big question is whether or not k2 can adjust his offense once the nfl spits it out.
Concepts are great. But running an entire college offense is a mistake....we would do better to pay someone to steal andy Reid's playbook

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My big question is whether or not k2 can adjust his offense once the nfl spits it out.
Concepts are great. But running an entire college offense is a mistake....we would do better to pay someone to steal andy Reid's playbook
It's my understanding that they have been removing and adding a lot of stuff to adapt it to the NFL. So we aren't going to see the actual college playbook out there, but more a hybrid form of it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a couple of series of a insightful preseason game all the Murray haters emerged from their lairs to attack
Impressed by those "fans"

Emerged from a lair? Nah. I was at the Cardinals' game (last night and last Thursday night, too). Didn't see you there. ;)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
So we go from all you guys saying this could be a 8 or 9+ win team to him just being average by week 14? That’s a big change in expectation. I’ve said from the beginning this is a 5 win team so last night wasn’t a shocker. I’m full prepped for another top 5 pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's cool azcardsfan1616. Believe or not, I'm actually with you. My official season prediction was 6-10.

A rookie head coach and QB, too many holes on both lines, and PP21 being out for six games, translates to us not winning anything this year.

But I think we caught a big break when we got Murray, and I liked our draft this year. If SK is back on track and locked in, I think we could make the playoffs next year.

I'm hopeful.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don’t know how it came across on TV, but the crowd was 50% Raiders fans, 25% Cards fans, and 25% empty seats.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
After a couple of series of a insightful preseason game all the Murray haters emerged from their lairs to attack
Impressed by those "fans"

Spare the sanctimonious comments. Murray has had FIVE series in preseason and he’s only passed his own 40 yard line once. Whereas, Hundley, Kanoff, and Anderson have all led TD drives.

If you’re comfortable with his current baseline, more power to you.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Two positives, I think, have some merit:

1. Murray not throwing an interception in two games. That is something to build on.

2. Both Murray and KK not providing unnecessary sound bites in press conference after an embarrassment. Shows, to an extent, they can handle the pressure.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yeah I had that issue with the safety. Dive forward. No safety. Needs better awareness.

And the weird thing about the Joyner comment to me was it almost sounded like he took personal affront at the air raid being used in the nfl.

I pretty much saw it that way too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lol. Yeah he just fell on his ass in the end zone. Oooookay.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two positives, I think, have some merit:

1. Murray not throwing an interception in two games. That is something to build on.

2. Both Murray and KK not providing unnecessary sound bites in press conference after an embarrassment. Shows, to an extent, they can handle the pressure.
We pulled to within 7 points of the Raidiz to come out on the short end of a 33 - 26, loss.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And the weird thing about the Joyner comment to me was it almost sounded like he took personal affront at the air raid being used in the nfl.

Yep... and, let's be real... he isn't the only one who feels this way. The Cardinals have gone all-in on a college style offense, to the extent no other NFL team has yet done. Coupled with the fact that they hired a head coach in the most unorthodox and unconventional way - where the majority of the league feels that Kingsbury should not have been afforded this opportunity due to the glaring fact that he hadn't earned the right to be offered the job - AND then drafting Murray which amplified the situation... There are/will be a ton of teams looking to knock Kingsbury back to where he came from, while also putting forth extra effort to show that the "Pretty Boy" offense, that is coached by a "Pretty Boy" who was undeserving of being a NFL head coach, is a fluke and doesn't belong in the NFL.

Of course, it's all on Keim, Kingsbury, the Assistant Coaches, Murray and the rest of the team to somehow buckle-up and confront this tsunami of hate and disrespect in a way that proves the haters wrong.
Could it be done? I guess... But if I were a betting man, my money is on this team winning no more than 4-5 games this year. And if I'm being honest, I really wouldn't be surprised at all if this team won 3 or less.
I think the odds are so heavily stacked against this team - Alford's injury just piled onto the crap now...

We very clearly can't stop the run. I honestly didn't think it was possible to be worse than last year's run defense, but maybe I was wrong!
And with PP and now Alford gone for a large portion of the regular season...even the Mike Glennon's of the league will feast.

And will David Johnson suddenly morph into the the DJ from 2017 come opening day?? Really hard to see that happen.

Restating the very obvious... We Cardinal fans are in for yet another, long and agonizing season of putridness...

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep... and, let's be real... he isn't the only one who feels this way. The Cardinals have gone all-in on a college style offense, to the extent no other NFL team has yet done. Coupled with the fact that they hired a head coach in the most unorthodox and unconventional way - where the majority of the league feels that Kingsbury should not have been afforded this opportunity due to the glaring fact that he hadn't earned the right to be offered the job - AND then drafting Murray which amplified the situation... There are/will be a ton of teams looking to knock Kingsbury back to where he came from, while also putting forth extra effort to show that the "Pretty Boy" offense, that is coached by a "Pretty Boy" who was undeserving of being a NFL head coach, is a fluke and doesn't belong in the NFL.

Of course, it's all on Keim, Kingsbury, the Assistant Coaches, Murray and the rest of the team to somehow buckle-up and confront this tsunami of hate and disrespect in a way that proves the haters wrong.
Could it be done? I guess... But if I were a betting man, my money is on this team winning no more than 4-5 games this year. And if I'm being honest, I really wouldn't be surprised at all if this team won 3 or less.
I think the odds are so heavily stacked against this team - Alford's injury just piled onto the crap now...

We very clearly can't stop the run. I honestly didn't think it was possible to be worse than last year's run defense, but maybe I was wrong!
And with PP and now Alford gone for a large portion of the regular season...even the Mike Glennon's of the league will feast.

And will David Johnson suddenly morph into the the DJ from 2017 come opening day?? Really hard to see that happen.

Restating the very obvious... We Cardinal fans are in for yet another, long and agonizing season of putridness...

Could be, but at the end, Joyner is a talker. Many know that many air raid concepts are already in the NFL, you can't stop that, even if you kick KK out, so at the end, if the Raiders would have lost, his comment would have looked silly at best.

But again, we are in preseason and we only know for sure what we have by around game 3, maybe even later. But at the moment, it doesn't look that rosy.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seems like when we win in the preseason, we have a bad regular season, and when we lose in the preseason, we do better in the regular season. So, I'm hoping and looking for the good regular season. :).
That's the positive I'm taking from that beat down Thursday. :D

Now, I have not seen the game, yet. (don't know if I want to) (I've recorded both espn and fox - which is the easiest to listen to?)

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
It's seems like the same over or under reactions each year. Last week k1 was a rookie of the year candidate. The next week everyone should be fired.

We will know what we are once the reg season starts. However, what is a bit concerning is the play of both lines. I think they will be the weakest parts of the team this year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What did people think was going to happen? Murray was going to struggle.
Kingsbury was going to need to adjust.
With 30 mil in dead money, our bad roster was only going to be so good.
Our offensive line was hardly addressed.
Our defensive line was not addressed.
New scheme on offense.
New scheme on defense.

This is why organizational and scheme turnover are the hallmarks of bad organizations. It sets you back further than your talent and takes a while to change.

Hopefully Keim makes the move to get Trent Williams. That upgrades our starters and our depth at tackle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What did people think was going to happen? Murray was going to struggle.
Kingsbury was going to need to adjust.
With 30 mil in dead money, our bad roster was only going to be so good.
Our offensive line was hardly addressed.
Our defensive line was not addressed.
New scheme on offense.
New scheme on defense.

This is why organizational and scheme turnover are the hallmarks of bad organizations. It sets you back further than your talent and takes a while to change.

Hopefully Keim makes the move to get Trent Williams. That upgrades our starters and our depth at tackle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Good suggestion but with $35 million in dead cap space and only $6 million in cap left to spend, I can't see the Cards doing much on getting any high quality players unless they get very creative. That would be a first.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose