Quick Assessment of Bengal Game

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ll post a detailed review of the game by Tuesday. However, I could explain the result with 2 observations.

Years ago I enjoyed a quiz show called To Tell the Truth. 3 contestants would claim to be someone. After the panel questioned them the host would say something like, “Will the real Josh Dobbs please stand up.” For 2 weeks I’ve reported my astonishment that Dobbs looked like an NFL QB, although not a special one last week. Sunday he stood up and showed the form that had gotten him passed over by 4 other teams. He’s not an NFL QB, but the Cards have done an amazing job of making him look like one on occasion. If he has to carry the team to a win, he lacks the skill. In the right circumstances his limitations can be disguised. Sunday the disguise failed.

In my game preview I wrote, “Wilson continues to be a liability. He gives too much cushion. He also reacts hesitantly to speed routes of various types. Wilson lacks the catch up speed necessary to allow him to lose contact with receivers like he has been doing. Chase will eat him alive.” There’s not much else to it. Wilson started every down 10 yards from Chase.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll post a detailed review of the game by Tuesday. However, I could explain the result with 2 observations.

Years ago I enjoyed a quiz show called To Tell the Truth. 3 contestants would claim to be someone. After the panel questioned them the host would say something like, “Will the real Josh Dobbs please stand up.” For 2 weeks I’ve reported my astonishment that Dobbs looked like an NFL QB, although not a special one last week. Sunday he stood up and showed the form that had gotten him passed over by 4 other teams. He’s not an NFL QB, but the Cards have done an amazing job of making him look like one on occasion. If he has to carry the team to a win, he lacks the skill. In the right circumstances his limitations can be disguised. Sunday the disguise failed.

In my game preview I wrote, “Wilson continues to be a liability. He gives too much cushion. He also reacts hesitantly to speed routes of various types. Wilson lacks the catch up speed necessary to allow him to lose contact with receivers like he has been doing. Chase will eat him alive.” There’s not much else to it. Wilson started every down 10 yards from Chase.
I think the coaching staff realizes Wilson is a liability and just wants to avoid the big chunks. Bottom line, who else do we have?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can’t argue with any of this.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I am not arguing with you on this, harry, juts to put out here that I was shocked when hearing this. I recall at the draft all the chanting about Wilson was that he has great speed (4.37 40) but lacks ball skills (e.g., turn the head to track the ball). How could someone who runs a 4.37 40 is so unconfident of his own speed to give up that big of cushion?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The one thing I will say in Dobbs defense. That Bengals defense is nasty, they made Stafford look just as bad a few weeks ago. The previous weeks the Bengals offense couldn't move the ball at all and their defense would get tired eventually, this week Burrow looks to be himself again. There were quite a few instances where Burrow was able to run out a sack that he couldn't have done in previous weeks. There is a quite a difference when their offense can put up 34 than in previous weeks where they struggled to score 3.

We expected a win against a hobbled Bengals, instead we got a full strength Bengals. Now that Burrow is back these guys will be expected to make it deep in the playoffs, under the circumstances a loss is expected. If Burrow was as hurt as he was week one I think we win 24-13.

Tank season is back on boys.

Last edited:

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
The one thing I will say in Dobbs defense. That Bengals defense is nasty, they made Stafford look just as bad a few weeks ago. The previous weeks the Bengals offense couldn't move the ball at all and their defense would get tired eventually, this week Burrow looks to be himself again. There were quite a few instances where Burrow was able to run out a sack that he couldn't have done in previous weeks. There is a quite a difference when their offense can put up 34 when if previous weeks they struggled to score 3.

We expected a win against a hobbled Bengals, instead we got a full strength Bengals. Now that Burrow is back these guys will be expected to make it deep in the playoffs, under the circumstances a loss is expected. Tank season is back on boys.
Was really hoping to face limp burrows today but agreed, we just don’t have the talent/depth yet to face a full strength burrows lead bengals team

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The one thing I will say in Dobbs defense. That Bengals defense is nasty, they made Stafford look just as bad a few weeks ago. The previous weeks the Bengals offense couldn't move the ball at all and their defense would get tired eventually, this week Burrow looks to be himself again. There were quite a few instances where Burrow was able to run out a sack that he couldn't have done in previous weeks. There is a quite a difference when their offense can put up 34 than in previous weeks where they struggled to score 3.

We expected a win against a hobbled Bengals, instead we got a full strength Bengals. Now that Burrow is back these guys will be expected to make it deep in the playoffs, under the circumstances a loss is expected. If Burrow was as hurt as he was week one I think we win 24-13.

Tank season is back on boys.
And by full strength you mean a still recovering burrows (note the treatment on the sideline all game) and no tee Higgins.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And by full strength you mean a still recovering burrows (note the treatment on the sideline all game) and no tee Higgins.
He was definitely moving a lot better than he was last game. Major difference. The injury is to his plant leg, in previous weeks he wouldn't have been able to generate enough power for that 68 yard bomb to Chase at the start of the 3rd.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was questioning in the gameday thread why we were playing such soft D with the DB's

It left the field open for short routes and allowed Burrow to gain his confidence

After he got that they started to feed Chase and we know the rest

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I am not arguing with you on this, harry, juts to put out here that I was shocked when hearing this. I recall at the draft all the chanting about Wilson was that he has great speed (4.37 40) but lacks ball skills (e.g., turn the head to track the ball). How could someone who runs a 4.37 40 is so unconfident of his own speed to give up that big of cushion?
Here was my eval, “Forget BPA, this was a need pick. This is an outstanding athlete who should be an impact player, but simply isn’t. I don’t like the pick. I’ve seen a million of these guys where someone is sure they can take them and “fix” him. They can’t IMO. It looks to me like he lacks grit. He’s a poor tackler though his measurables say he should be solid. In coverage he loses track of his man too often when that man is headed deep. He doesn’t mirror well on short routes.

He is so athletic he sometimes stumbles into a good play but I’m not sure it’s intentional. It’s weird, he’ll celebrate a good play, like he’s competitive, but on the next play seem disinterested. Maybe he doesn’t like football. If he decided it was important to him he might become a player, but frankly I doubt it. What a waste of talent. I wish the Cards had a great mentor to pair with him, but I’m far from confident that would be enough.”

He has become a better tackler, but this is not his game.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Here was my eval, “Forget BPA, this was a need pick. This is an outstanding athlete who should be an impact player, but simply isn’t. I don’t like the pick. I’ve seen a million of these guys where someone is sure they can take them and “fix” him. They can’t IMO. It looks to me like he lacks grit. He’s a poor tackler though his measurables say he should be solid. In coverage he loses track of his man too often when that man is headed deep. He doesn’t mirror well on short routes.

He is so athletic he sometimes stumbles into a good play but I’m not sure it’s intentional. It’s weird, he’ll celebrate a good play, like he’s competitive, but on the next play seem disinterested. Maybe he doesn’t like football. If he decided it was important to him he might become a player, but frankly I doubt it. What a waste of talent. I wish the Cards had a great mentor to pair with him, but I’m far from confident that would be enough.”

He has become a better tackler, but this is not his game.
Agreed I just wrote something similar in the game day thread. Not sure if a confidence thing or just disinterest. But to me 4.3 speed in shorts is about meaningless. Put on the pad and show me what you got. Hopefully the coaches see something and can coach him up. I think he could be a fair slot/nickel CB, but he's being put out there because we have no true #1.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If he has to carry the team to a win, he lacks the skill.
Dobbs is a very good back up QB where if he has to fill in for 4 or 5 games (on a playoff contending roster) -- he can win 2 or 3 of them and keep the season alive

two things yesterday: the protection was shaky and it sped Dobbs up to where he was inaccurate, and, Connor leaving really left him to try to carry the team

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Dobbs is a very good back up QB where if he has to fill in for 4 or 5 games (on a playoff contending roster) -- he can win 2 or 3 of them and keep the season alive

two things yesterday: the protection was shaky and it sped Dobbs up to where he was inaccurate, and, Connor leaving really left him to try to carry the team
Yeah Conner is a vital part of the offense. Without a good RB few offenses will be successful.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We kept those guys on the run till the 4th quarter, just like most of our other games. With a guy named Josh Dobbs at quarterback.
This team has huge heart and good coaching. Just not enough horsepower as yet.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that the bomb touchdown Burrow threw to Chase was close to one of the best plays I've ever seen live. It was a thing of beauty.

Too bad it was for Cinci..

The Cards were just one mistake after another.

football karma

Reaction score
Yeah Conner is a vital part of the offense. Without a good RB few offenses will be successful.
and its a Monti "miss" for shaky depth behind Connor

if you go into the season with a strategy to focus on running the football -- and your No 1 guy is a physical runner with a history of nicks -- you have to have better depth

football karma

Reaction score
We kept those guys on the run till the 4th quarter, just like most of our other games. With a guy named Josh Dobbs at quarterback.
This team has huge heart and good coaching. Just not enough horsepower as yet.
Im afraid that will be the story of this team this year: competitive into the 4th -- and then things slip away

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and its a Monti "miss" for shaky depth behind Connor

if you go into the season with a strategy to focus on running the football -- and your No 1 guy is a physical runner with a history of nicks -- you have to have better depth
They didn't even activate Clement. I don't understand going into a game with just two backs and one of them is an UDFA rookie who has 4 games of experience.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
The game turned when Connor left with his injury. It felt deflating to the offense and they lost all their momentum and confidence. Take away his rushing, receiving and blocking its a different offense and it showed.

It'll be nice if JG and Rallis figure out how to play middle zone without giving up big chunk plays by playing 10 yrds off their man. It seems to be a consitent problem for the last few years here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson