QBOTF and McCoy

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's no secret the Cards will be targeting a QB in this draft to hopefully secure the position for years to come, and with a defensive minded head coach, it falls onto McCoy to develop the guy. That being said, how many years will McCoy be here? A former HC isn't going to fall back into being an OC and be content with it, he'll be applying for HC positions next offseason. Especially with this QB crop, time and development is needed, switching OCs after 1 or 2 season's won't be good for development.

Thoughts? Maybe Keim asked that Leftwich be kept on the coaching staff for this exact reason.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
McCoy wasn't particularly successful as a head coach, sometimes a coordinator is what a guy is best at--sort of like Norv Turner, Romeo Crennel, Wade Phillips etc. I think McCoy would have to do something pretty special in order to be considered as a HC again anytime soon, remember he was just fired as an OC mid-season last year (mid-season firings are not that common either especially for coordinators).

I'm not too concerned about him leaving before the rest of the coaching staff does.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If McCoy gets hired again as a HC, it'd mean that he did a great job in Arizona. If it's only one season, so be it.

+1. McCoy was fired during the season and he did not have any HC offers on the table so unless he does well here, he won’t be going anywhere unless he gets canned.

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m not impressed by McCoy really at all. He did a pretty good job with Tebow but I could be the OC with Peyton at QB and his offense was putrid without Whiz in San Diego.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’m not impressed by McCoy really at all. He did a pretty good job with Tebow but I could be the OC with Peyton at QB and his offense was putrid without Whiz in San Diego.
McCoy helped Orton achieve the best seasons of his career, got Rivers out of a funk and helped Peyton regain his efficiency after four neck surgeries. The success is measurable.

McCoy is a Peter Principle guy. Needs to remain an OC and not become a HC.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
debatable. really doubt he's broadcasting his draft intentions to the media.

Go back to previous years. He has been pretty open about our draft direction then.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we don't have a high pick and you have to give up two drafts to get the 4th best guy, its probably for the best.
I agree but that depends on who the 4th guy is. Browns and Jets will, true to form, draft the wrong ones.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Byron Leftwich the Cards QB coach will play a key role in developing whoever the qb is that we draft.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCoy helped Orton achieve the best seasons of his career, got Rivers out of a funk and helped Peyton regain his efficiency after four neck surgeries. The success is measurable.

Whiz got Rivers out of his funk and why he was brought back to SD and is still there.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

You might want to check Rivers with and without Whis...

Whis resurrected Rivers, became Titans HC and Rivers play dropped...Whis gets canned by Tenn and goes back to SD and Rivers becomes viable again.

Less to do with McCoy and all to do with Whis.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Whis resurrected Rivers, became Titans HC and Rivers play dropped...Whis gets canned by Tenn and goes back to SD and Rivers becomes viable again.

Facts suck...

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

I'm not too sure about the way you're seeing things. With Orton for example, his "best" year, at least in terms of passer rating, was with Dallas. But I can see why his time in Chicago might be considered his best but I think we need to take a step back and see that for what it really was. Orton at his best was still just an 87-ish rating QB. That isn't anything for an OC to hang his hat on. If you look at Orton's career, that seemed to be what he was. Not so much that he was being elevated while under McCoy's scheme/tutelage.

With Rivers and Manning, I find it very difficult to give McCoy credit for either or both of them. With Manning, I'm not sure how McCoy gets any credit for healing his neck. That doesn't make any sense at all to me. And if you look at the numbers, Peyton's first year in Denver was a tad better than his last year in Indy. But, any credit that one might consider for McCoy because of that sort of flies out the window when you look at what Manning did his second year in Denver when McCoy was gone. If anything, Manning discredits McCoy more than supports him.

Kind of the same story with Rivers. You really can't say for sure that it was McCoy who made the difference. It isn't like Rivers had never put up numbers before McCoy and it's hard for me to give McCoy the credit when Whisenhunt and Reich were the OC's.

I'm not saying it isn't possible that McCoy is a good OC but I have to disagree with the statement that his success is measurable or definitive. Personally, I think he's JAG as an OC.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score

I just don't know how much credit McCoy, Whis or Reich deserve in terms of Rivers. Before any of them were around, Rivers had been a playoff winner and led the league in passer rating, TD's, passing yards, y/a, etc.

It's not even like they just forced Rivers to clean up his game. He led the league in interceptions under Reich and then threw even more and led the league again when Whis returned. So, have they really made Rivers more efficient or do Rivers' numbers just fluctuate with the talent around him(like any QB would)?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mike McCoy's resume should be a one liner: Won a playoff game with Tebow as QB. <end>
That is like celebrating the wild cat offense. Tebow was a gimmick and is why he didn't last.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk