Pro Soccer Coming to the Valley?

Peter C

Reaction score
I attended a meeting last night of the MLS Phoenix Rising Soccer Supporter group, at which Stuart Starkey outlined his plans to bring professional soccer to the Valley.

Kenn Tomasch, a better writer than I am, was also in attendance and did a write-up on his blog Kenn.com. Head on over there to read the full story and let's hope Stuart's plans come to fruition.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
USL I can see but if MLS expands again, which I think they shouldn't do for a LONG time-(18 teams is enough considering the talent) they will expand to the southeast US(N. Carolina, Ga, Florida) where they have no presence at the time.

OP
OP
P

Peter C

Reaction score
Tyler:
The plan is for the Western teams to play in 2011, with or without a direct affiliation with either USL or NASL, but with the understanding with USSF that players will not be sanctioned for playing in a 'non-sanctioned' league. Then, when the USL/NASL brouhaha is sorted out, to join the official D2 league in 2012. Mind you this is all very fluid.
USSF is meeting a week or so to determine the financial guidelines for teams in D2. They are doing this in order to stop the massive turnover at the lower levels of US soccer and to provide for a stable 'pyramid' system. As to how many of the Western teams will meet the criteria is anyone's guess.

English on tour:
Sorry, but MLS is years away from coming to the Valley. Unless a gazillionaire plops their money down, it just isn't going to happen anytime soon. In addition to the $40 million fee, a Valley team will need a covered stadium and that's about $150 million minimum. With the economy being what it is, I just don't see that happening anytime soon. U of P stadium might fit the bill, but only if the Bidwill's own the team, otherwise it just isn't financially feasible.

ellinikoscooby:
I will do my best to keep up with this story. I suspect the next 'breakpoint' will be the USSF meeting I referred to above.

Zeno:
The league will be at 20 teams by 2012(or 2013). Vancouver and Portland begin play in 2011, with Montreal joining them in 2012. The league will add one more to make 20 and then, like you, I hope they take a breather and allow the quality to improve before thinking about adding teams beyond the 20.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Zeno:
The league will be at 20 teams by 2012(or 2013). Vancouver and Portland begin play in 2011, with Montreal joining them in 2012. The league will add one more to make 20 and then, like you, I hope they take a breather and allow the quality to improve before thinking about adding teams beyond the 20.

I forgot about Montreal. I think it sucks that a US based league will have 3 Canadian teams to be honest with you.

I saw an interview with Garber recently and he talked again about adding a second NY team, thats crap, they have a beautiful new stadium near public transport and they can't sell it out. That city doesn't deserve another team.

There was also talk about a San Diego team too, I think it would make more sense to relocate Chivas USA there.

OP
OP
P

Peter C

Reaction score
I forgot about Montreal. I think it sucks that a US based league will have 3 Canadian teams to be honest with you.

I saw an interview with Garber recently and he talked again about adding a second NY team, thats crap, they have a beautiful new stadium near public transport and they can't sell it out. That city doesn't deserve another team.

There was also talk about a San Diego team too, I think it would make more sense to relocate Chivas USA there.

I agree about moving Chivas to San Diego.
About NYC2, gotta say this.. I grew up in that area, and anyone who is from there will tell you that the current team is NOT a NY team, it's a NJ team.
Now that doesn't mean I want a second team in the area, at least not yet, but the idea of a team adjacent to the Mets baseball stadium in Queens is a good idea and would be a NY team.
I'm thinking that Atlanta would be the pick for a team to fill the SouthEast void. For all the ranting and raving by the South Florida folks, they just haven't shown the support for the teams that are or have been there. ******** to the arguments about the stadium not being here or there. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
P

Peter C

Reaction score
Hey please keep up wit all the pertinent info Peter, I am very interested

The USSF held meetings this week after months of study of the D2 system. In addition to stating that they had no plans to run D2 next year, they laid out a formal set of rules for D2, covering city sizes, owner finances and more.

The bottom line for pro soccer in Arizona ...

I do not believe that either group, Phoenix Monsoon or Phoenix Pro Soccer, will be able to meet the financial minimums to qualify for D2. Whether or not they continue their efforts with an eye towards D3 is anybody's guess at this time.

Some highlights of the new rules.

The principal team owner must own a minimum of 35% of the team and have a net worth of $20M, exclusive of the team value.

75% of the cities must have a population of 750,000 or more.

Teams must have a bond posted of $750,000 90 days before the start of each season.

Ownership must prove they have 3 years of operating funds on hand.

Read the post I linked to in the first paragraph for more.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Salt Lake Real claims this region, and in fact are funding the bill for talent development here. They've set up permanent camp in Casa Grande.

OP
OP
P

Peter C

Reaction score
I think Salt Lake Real claims this region, and in fact are funding the bill for talent development here. They've set up permanent camp in Casa Grande.

You are correct. Greg Vanney is running the program for RSL. But that would have no impact for D2 or D3 and I suspect would change should an MLS club come to being in Phoenix.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard