Prime Video Overtakes Netflix

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t been impressed with either Netflix or Amazon’s programming in a while.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shocking. Prime doesn't put out 1/10 the content. It has to be that they are counting things like rentals and purchases.
It's purely based on number of subscribers as of September of 2022.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if someone subscribes to Amazon Prime, they are a subscriber regardless of if they watch or not?
Yep and it's genius. Besides I doubt very many people don't use Amazon video if it comes with their Prime subscription if that is where you are going. Also, you can get Video without Prime. Not everybody that has a Video subscription has Prime either. Lots of people don't want to pay for Amazon Prime. Keep in mind Amazon's shopping numbers have taken a significant hit since the restrictions of Covid have been lifted yet their subscribers' numbers still grew. It's why Amazon is laying of 18,000 people. So, doesn't sound like it could be any significant number of people not utilizing the service.

Either way? It's significant that someone can compete with Netflix because for a long time nobody came close.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep and it's genius. Besides I doubt very many people don't use Amazon video since it comes with Prime if that is where you are going.
I would look at streaming hours to judge better.

We stream Netflix probably 25 x more than Prime. If it didn't come with the Prime membership, I wouldn't bother.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would look at streaming hours to judge better.

We stream Netflix probably 25 x more than Prime. If it didn't come with the Prime membership, I wouldn't bother.
Well we know their LOR show was a massive hit but Netflix has more original content so I would expect they would dominate hours. Having said that? The article isn't about hours. It's subscriptions. I am sure Amazon is happy with the monthly subscription numbers which pay the bills. Netflix is struggling in that department and it's why they have become the new FOX TV of cancelling shows.

On a side note, I just read Parmount+ is the fastest growing streaming service taking over from Disney+. Really?!?! I watch a few things like the new Star Trek shows and a couple of others but I never would have guessed that. They signed up almost twice as many subscribers as Netflix in 2022. WOW.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we know their LOR show was a massive hit but Netflix has more original content so I would expect they would dominate hours. Having said that? The article isn't about hours. It's subscriptions. I am sure Amazon is happy with the monthly subscription numbers which pay the bills. Netflix is struggling in that department and it's why they have become the new FOX TV of cancelling shows.

On a side note, I just read Parmount+ is the fastest growing streaming service taking over from Disney+. Really?!?! I watch a few things like the new Star Trek shows and a couple of others but I never would have guessed that. They signed up almost twice as many subscribers as Netflix in 2022. WOW.
I have Paramount+ Watch it more than Prime ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Paramount Plus’ rise is all about the Taylor Sheridanverse.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I watch quite a bit of Paramount as well.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yep and it's genius. Besides I doubt very many people don't use Amazon video if it comes with their Prime subscription if that is where you are going. Also, you can get Video without Prime. Not everybody that has a Video subscription has Prime either. Lots of people don't want to pay for Amazon Prime. Keep in mind Amazon's shopping numbers have taken a significant hit since the restrictions of Covid have been lifted yet their subscribers' numbers still grew. It's why Amazon is laying of 18,000 people. So, doesn't sound like it could be any significant number of people not utilizing the service.

Either way? It's significant that someone can compete with Netflix because for a long time nobody came close.

I wish I could get a Prime subscription without Video. I can't tell you the last time I launched the Prime Video app. I really don't want to be paying for it anymore. I've actually been contemplating canceling Prime all together over it. With the new rate increases I might be better off paying for shipping now. I'm going to crunch the numbers a little closer to my renewal date.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paramount Plus’ rise is all about the Taylor Sheridanverse.
Evidently, HALO was the most watched show on Paramount+ beating out all of the Yellowstone shows. I also checked my queue and I am watching more shows there than I thought. If I add HALO, all the Star Trek shows, Ghosts, and Evil…I guess that’s more than I thought.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Evidently, HALO was the most watched show on Paramount+ beating out all of the Yellowstone shows. I also checked my queue and I am watching more shows there than I thought. If I add HALO, all the Star Trek shows, Ghosts, and Evil…I guess that’s more than I thought.
Ghosts is available for free on network TV. I was pissed they moved Evil there, but I binged it when I temporarily got Paramount +.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Halo got better, but I couldn't even make it through an episode before I had to turn it off. It is rare that I can't even make it a few episodes in on a new show.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Halo got better, but I couldn't even make it through an episode before I had to turn it off. It is rare that I can't even make it a few episodes in on a new show.
I watched it for pure nostalgia of the original game. There were a ton of references throughout even though this was a different timeline.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Halo didn't get better. It started off as pure trash and got considerably worse every episode. It's an embarrassment to humanity.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was talking about Halo, but it applies to Willow as well (and others).
(I knew you were talking about Halo -- it was a facetious question) :)

I'm actually surprised that Halo would be mentioned in the same breath as Willow. I haven't seen Halo yet, so hearing that it's on par with Willow is pretty disappointing to say the least.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
(I knew you were talking about Halo -- it was a facetious question) :)

I'm actually surprised that Halo would be mentioned in the same breath as Willow. I haven't seen Halo yet, so hearing that it's on par with Willow is pretty disappointing to say the least.
It's not IMO. Why? Willow to me was a major film that had much higher expectations for me. HALO is one of many GAME adaptations that have not had a good track record. There is some bad with HALO but IMO, there was also some cool stuff in it as well. I found my staff snapping like a rubber band between the cool and the bad on that show. To me it sort of had the Michael Bay Transformers type response by audiences. Meaning that it was still a big hit besides the major flaws.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson