Press Conference Question: "Who Has Final Say?"

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
When asked on who will have the finial say in the front office, Michael Bidwill sure dodged that question.

He talked about keeping the draft strategy the same, because it has been working.

Sure sounds like Michael is going to be calling all the shots... Ugh

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think one way or the other, you don't announce that, because you're not sure who your next head coach is. There's no prudence in announcing to the world that Keim is going to call all of the shots until we know who we have.

OP
OP
Mr. Boldin

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I think one way or the other, you don't announce that, because you're not sure who your next head coach is. There's no prudence in announcing to the world that Keim is going to call all of the shots until we know who we have.

Its not that he didnt answer it, its just the look on his face and the answer he gave. All he had to say is, we hired Steve and his staff for a reason and they will have the power to make decisions that fit with what we want to do as an organization.

He completely dodged the question and just focused on their draft strategy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Ah, I only got to listen in on the radio, since the stream was messing up for me.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A bare bones operating policy would have the HC (who the GM probably helped hire) ordering the groceries and the GM going out and shopping for the best goods at the best prices within a given budget..

Where it could get dicey is if the HC wasn't happy with some of the groceries (i.e. not big enough, too slow, too dumb) or if the GM felt the HC wasn't utilizing the sleeper 5th round corner to the fullest extent.

What you hope is that the two will be joined at the hip (completing each others' sentences, being in lock-step agreement) on most key decisions. At the very least, you'd expect a free flow of opinion and info in both directions "without fear."

For those of us fascinated by how franchise are or are not built, these are exciting times.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When asked on who will have the finial say in the front office, Michael Bidwill sure dodged that question.

He talked about keeping the draft strategy the same, because it has been working.

I believe that is an overstatement.

When it comes to player personnel, I'd venture it will be Keim's decision after healthy debate with Licht and the new head coach.

When $$$ is involved, as in additional bonus money to acquire player "X", then the guy who holds the purse strings has to give the nod. And, frankly, this is the type of buy-in that a G-M wants from the President/owner.

In fewer words: Mike Bidwill will not be deciding who's playing left guard next year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe that is an overstatement.

When it comes to player personnel, I'd venture it will be Keim's decision after healthy debate with Licht and the new head coach.

When $$$ is involved, as in additional bonus money to acquire player "X", then the guy who holds the purse strings has to give the nod. And, frankly, this is the type of buy-in that a G-M wants from the President/owner.

In fewer words: Mike Bidwill will not be deciding who's playing left guard next year.

I totally agree with you. I watched the press conference live as many of you also did. I think what MB was trying to say is that decisions are made jointly with lots of debate. MB is not going to force the new HC on Keim. Keim is part of the decision process.

OP
OP
Mr. Boldin

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
MJ and Bickley basically said the same thing I did. Thats not exactly what you want to hear when introducing your new GM.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same as before, Fitz.

:D

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score

He said the system is effective. I think that's different.

He didn't seem dodgy at all. He sounded like they were on the same page. If I was owner, I'd trust the majority of the decision-making to the coach and GM but still want/expect a say and/or veto, if desired. That's different than making all the decisions.

OP
OP
Mr. Boldin

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Every owner holds the veto power. Its just if they trust the decisions being made by the GM.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Every owner holds the veto power. Its just if they trust the decisions being made by the GM.

In otherwords, every owner has final say. There's nothing to gain from any owner answering that question. If he's honest, he has to say he does. Then the fans will all over react like you have.

Who has final say isn't the right question to ask.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Michael never said he had final say, at least I didn't hear it. He said decisions would be made as a Cardinals team. He wanted both the GM & HC to work together which is what he thinks is best & what other teams in our division do.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Michael never said he had final say, at least I didn't hear it. He said decisions would be made as a Cardinals team. He wanted both the GM & HC to work together which is what he thinks is best & what other teams in our division do.
Operative word was "Collaborative." Plus there was Keim's positive account of the free give & take with Licht. Plus Michael's mention that draft prospect rating differences among the staff were hashed out the week before the draft. (Sounds like collaberation to me).

I'd guess that Michael would operate similarly - probably giving Keim and others plenty of space, while popping in with a comment or question if he felt it was warranted.

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Graves being gone is a massive leap forward, the only thing that could go backwards from that would be if Millen showed up and got the job.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I swear if you think Michael would all of a sudden step away from the box and limelight you haven't been paying attention. As long as he picks the right people to debate the picks, then this is a step in the right direction. I trust the consensus around the league that Keim and Licht know what they are doing.

Of course he will have final veto power. It's his family's business. Like it or not.

I am confident that Michael will allow talented people to make the decisions going forward. He may very well not have a clue how to put a team together. Who really knows. I do get the sense though that he is tired of being the laughingstock of the league. So if nothing else he seems willing to try new tactics to get this team moving in the right direction.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Wow massive over reaction.

If you believe any organization is 100% out of the picture your blind. Yes you want the football guys to make the football decisions. But to leave everything up to one guy would be stupid. You want everyone working together and on the same page or your not going to have a good working relation ship.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

If you believe any organization is 100% out of the picture your blind. Yes you want the football guys to make the football decisions. But to leave everything up to one guy would be stupid. You want everyone working together and on the same page or your not going to have a good working relation ship.

Exactly!
What I heard Michael say is that he wants a strong GM AND a strong head coach like the other franchises in the NFC West. And I'd expect he'll be in the draft room like virtually all owners are on draft day and when it comes to the first round draft pick, he'll have a comfort level.

It'll be a 'collaborative decision', but I feel a whole lot better with Steve Keim being the primary decision maker than I did with Rod Graves OR Ken Whisenhunt.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yup. When you become the owner, you get to make the decisions...if you want to.

If you're smart, you learn early that it's helpful to delegate and have football-people make football decisions. Your role evolves to being Chief Arbitor of Internal Disputes, Question-Asker & Chief, Source of Sage Wisdom and Provider of Additional Support When Asked For or Needed.

But all owners aren't smart. Hopefully Michael is. In any case, he owns the store, and he and his family get to spend the money the way they want to. (It's the American Way).

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Did I read this right? "Our draft has been working". What planet is he on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave