Preseason: Adelaide 36ers @ Suns Sunday game thread, 10-2-2022

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meh. Starters played less than half of the game and were a +11 in their 22 minutes on the floor. The bench should have done better, but they were playing a team that has much more continuity than our bench does.
Huh? Payne, shamet, and Craig have played together plenty.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note to Suns. Read the comments below from Adelaide coach C.J. Bruton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Huh? Payne, shamet, and Craig have played together plenty.
Sure, but it was largely them against their starters. Not to mention all of the guys that were playing for us that won't be on our roster. Losing that game isn't really a big deal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but it was largely them against their starters. Not to mention all of the guys that were playing for us that won't be on our roster. Losing that game isn't really a big deal.
Losing the game is no big deal and yet, not winning that game is concerning. You make valid points but our starters should have outpaced them by more than 11 and our bench shouldn't have been handled that easily.

Even if we ignore everything else about that game, if we can't play better 3 point defense, we're in for a tough season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were some things to be concerned about. Payne for example played 26 minutes and left off from last season. His +/- on the floor was -21, shot 1-5 from 3 point land, 2 turnovers and 4 assists. Many of the guys he played with are the guys he is going to be on the floor with. When Shamet, Craig and Lee were on the floor it was just as bad.

It's only one game but Cam J worries me at the starting 4. Honestly, if he isn't going to get more production on the boards or in general? This teams FC isn't going to be as effective minus Crowder. No other big body other than Ayton in the starting lineup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were some things to be concerned about. Payne for example played 26 minutes and left off from last season. His +/- on the floor was -21, shot 1-5 from 3 point land, 2 turnovers and no assists. Many of the guys he played with are the guys he is going to be on the floor with. When Shamet, Craig and Lee were on the floor it was just as bad.

It's only one game but Cam J worries me at the starting 4. Honestly, if he isn't going to get more production on the boards or in general? This teams FC isn't going to be as effective minus Crowder. No other big body other than Ayton in the starting lineup.

I thought Cam Payne played fairly well considering he was playing with the 2nd unit. He brought a lot of energy and was pretty much the Suns bench until Craig and Landale contributed some later in the game.

He shot 8-19 from the field, 1-5 from three, 6-6 from the FT line, had 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers. I'm not sure his +/- meant much last night.

We agree about Cam Johnson. I had hoped for more.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Cam Payne played fairly well considering he was playing with the 2nd unit. He brought a lot of energy and was pretty much the Suns bench until Craig and Landale contributed some later in the game.

He shot 8-19 from the field, 1-5 from three, 6-6 from the FT line, had 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers. I'm not sure his +/- meant much last night.

We agree about Cam Johnson. I had hoped for more.
I didn't. Many of those guys are going to be on the floor with him during the regular season too so I don't know if you can completely dismiss his +/-. If it wasn't for it almost looking like the way he played last year I would shrug it off. It's very similar. Again, it's one game. Hopefully, this doesn't continue but I am not encouraged.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody that was playing for us won't be on the roster. We only went 11 deep, and the bench that played, is the current best bench players we have.

There is a very good reason to be concerned about the bench.

However I'm not that concerned about the loss, because that team could not replicate that shooting performance if they had 10 more attempts at it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't. Many of those guys are going to be on the floor with him during the regular season too so I don't know if you can completely dismiss his +/-. If it wasn't for it almost looking like the way he played last year I would shrug it off. It's very similar. Again, it's one game. Hopefully, this doesn't continue but I am not encouraged.
No, he was definetly better last night than most of last year. I was encouraged by him. But terrified by what I saw from Craig and especially Shamet who looked even worse.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Nobody that was playing for us won't be on the roster. We only went 11 deep, and the bench that played, is the current best bench players we have.

There is a very good reason to be concerned about the bench.

However I'm not that concerned about the loss, because that team could not replicate that shooting performance if they had 10 more attempts at it.
However, Williams isn’t going to go with hockey line changes in season games. There will probably be a starter or two in at all times.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I'm hoping.

The Suns find a rotation player in a trade for Crowder and a depth player that can play for the MLE.

If James Jones can't accomplish this, my outlook for this season is very modest.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We lost two defensive stalwarts in Crowder and Mcgee. Until they are replaced and/or our guys learn to rotate defensively without them, we are just going to have to outscore people in high scoring games.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is what I'm hoping.

The Suns find a rotation player in a trade for Crowder and a depth player that can play for the MLE.

If James Jones can't accomplish this, my outlook for this season is very modest.

I don't think there are any remaining free agents worth the MLE.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are any remaining free agents worth the MLE.

Maybe not. I think the MLE can be split if desired. It might be useful in adding a player in a buyout or a waived player.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he was definetly better last night than most of last year. I was encouraged by him. But terrified by what I saw from Craig and especially Shamet who looked even worse.
Chucking up 19, shooting the 3 crappy and the team being -21 while on the floor says otherwise. The only thing I can say he looked better on was he was playing a tad more under control.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Chucking up 19, shooting the 3 crappy and the team being -21 while on the floor says otherwise. The only thing I can say he looked better on was he was playing a tad more under control.
That might have something to do with the other bench players shooting a combined 12 of 34. Multiple bench players underperformed in that game and contributed to that +/-.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not the only player on the floor, and he is by far the best scorer in that second unit. He damn well better be shooting. You must not have watched, without him the second unit would have been completely destroyed. Suns would have lost by 30 plus easy.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not the only player on the floor, and he is by far the best scorer in that second unit. He damn well better be shooting. You must not have watched, without him the second unit would have been completely destroyed. Suns would have lost by 30 plus easy.
I said he put up a bunch of shots and shot the 3 crappy. That's accurate. The team gave up 50% of the threes and played piss poor defense which offset his offense. Defensive rotations were atrocious and team defense was piss poor while he was in there. Did you watch or do you not consider the other end part of his play?

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said he put up a bunch of shots and shot the 3 crappy. That's accurate. The team gave up 50% of the threes and played piss poor defense which offset his offense. Defensive rotations were atrocious and team defense was piss poor while he was in there. Did you watch or do you not consider the other end part of his play?
He wasn’t the one defending most of the threes shot, but quite frankly I just don’t agree that there is really much you can do to defend the 3. These guys shot several 2 to 3 feet behind the line and off the dribble.

really The only defense for hot 3 point shooting is to make your own on offense.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is what I'm hoping.

I agree.

A trade for Crowder isn't going to give us a new starting 4 but hopefully a solid player off the bench.

Monty should be looking at starting Saric at some point and making Cam the 6th man. We don't need Cam's scoring in the starting line up, we need defense. Cam's scoring is needed off the bench because that crew is a mess. It would also take some pressure off of Payne who is trying to do too much.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have no good will left in the NBA media.

Every time we lose we are gonna get destroyed and everyone is going to call us frauds.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We have no good will left in the NBA media.

Every time we lose we are gonna get destroyed and everyone is going to call us frauds.

And then this board will complain about being "disrespected."

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn’t the one defending most of the threes shot, but quite frankly I just don’t agree that there is really much you can do to defend the 3. These guys shot several 2 to 3 feet behind the line and off the dribble.

really The only defense for hot 3 point shooting is to make your own on offense.
You keep moving the goal post. I didn't say he was the only one. He is part of the defense on the floor is he not? He has defensive responsibilities both on his man and on team defense schemes does he not? Team's get hot but that was simply bad defense on so many levels. Letting an NBL team score 134 on an NBA team when you are almost 30 point favorites isn't just about 3's. They let them shoot over 50% from EVERYWHERE on the floor. It's not all his fault by a long shot but it doesn't change the fact some of the worst stretches defensively were with him on the court.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure why you are down on Cam Payne coming off the bench against the 36ers unless you are just looking at stats.

He was one of the few bright spots with the energy he brought to the second unit.