Pottsville curse- 1925 championship.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I think it’s time to be co champions

https://www.abc15.com/sports/sports...urse-continues-to-haunt-the-arizona-cardinals

But the Cardinals, who moved to St. Louis in 1960 and to Arizona in 1988, have never won a Super Bowl, as they fell to the Steelers in heartbreaking fashion in their one and only Super Bowl appearance. Pottsville residents continue to believe the Cards will continue to go Super Bowl-less until the NFL, or the Bidwills, return what they believe is rightfully theirs.

"We feel betrayed. We'd even perhaps settle for co-champions," one Pottsville businessman told Lester.

"They are cursed... and they should be."

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Nope. Never.

Still doesn't explain the 1947 championship. I've read elsewhere that the Cardinals didn't "claim" the 1925 title until the 1960s when Bill Bidwill's older brother (then, co-owner) made some comment about the hick-town of Pottsville, something about not giving up the title, or over his dead body. Last I heard, Charles Bidwill, Jr is still alive, in his 90s. However, I have the Cardinals' 1946 and 1947 media guides, and in them, they DO indeed claim the 1925 championship, pre-dating actually winning it all, AGAIN, in 1947.

During the 2015 season, the night before the NFC Championship in Charlotte, I asked Michael Bidwill if he would say something about Pottsville at the trophy ceremony should the Cardinals win. . . he scoffed derisively. Well, we know how things turned out the next day. Nonetheless, I say Pottsville broke the rules (money was far more important to survival of a franchise than championships), and got exactly what they deserved.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

https://www.abc15.com/sports/sports...urse-continues-to-haunt-the-arizona-cardinals

But the Cardinals, who moved to St. Louis in 1960 and to Arizona in 1988, have never won a Super Bowl, as they fell to the Steelers in heartbreaking fashion in their one and only Super Bowl appearance. Pottsville residents continue to believe the Cards will continue to go Super Bowl-less until the NFL, or the Bidwills, return what they believe is rightfully theirs.

"We feel betrayed. We'd even perhaps settle for co-champions," one Pottsville businessman told Lester.

And this is why I urinate on the sign in Pottsville that references this every time I go through there.

They played against a college team and made themselves ineligible for the championship. Literally went outside the league to make money, they should have been kicked out of the league. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Screw Pottsville, and screw the Maroons. Saying they are going to curse a team because they did something wrong is the epitome of being an brown star.

If there is any curse it is living in Pottsville, PA. They really have progressed as a town, from having a national football team to being a ghost town with a single brewery keeping them alive. The Cardinals will win some day, and Pottsville will still be Pottsville......well, that is if Yuengling stays there, if that brewery leaves then Pottsville will be a ghost town, as it should be already.

Screw them.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude its crazy 1925 lol can't even imagine what nfl was like back than all white players right lol?

Crazy history

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
Dude its crazy 1925 lol can't even imagine what nfl was like back than all white players right lol?

Crazy history

Not entirely. In the 1920s and early ‘30s, there was about a dozen African-American players in the NFL, at least three of whom played for the Cardinals, including recent HOF inductee Duke Slater.

There is amazing footage of the Cardinals (not mine) on YouTube from that era, giving a glimpse of what the game was like in 1929-1930 — easy to find with a simple search. Certainly worth a look for those who haven’t seen it.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

preaching to the choir. But I can’t see Mike B giving back a Championship that belonged to his Grandfather. I think the only way this happens is if the Bidwill’s sell the team at some point

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
And this is why I urinate on the sign in Pottsville that references this every time I go through there.

They played against a college team and made themselves ineligible for the championship. Literally went outside the league to make money, they should have been kicked out of the league. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Screw Pottsville, and screw the Maroons. Saying they are going to curse a team because they did something wrong is the epitome of being an brown star.

If there is any curse it is living in Pottsville, PA. They really have progressed as a town, from having a national football team to being a ghost town with a single brewery keeping them alive. The Cardinals will win some day, and Pottsville will still be Pottsville......well, that is if Yuengling stays there, if that brewery leaves then Pottsville will be a ghost town, as it should be already.

Screw them.
ARE YOU CRAZY????!!!!

Nobody to blame but yourself when you are exhausted all day tomorrow from waking up with a vicious leg cramp tonight because of your insolence.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Not entirely. In the 1920s and early ‘30s, there was about a dozen African-American players in the NFL, at least three of whom played for the Cardinals, including recent HOF inductee Duke Slater.

There is amazing footage of the Cardinals (not mine) on YouTube from that era, giving a glimpse of what the game was like in 1929-1930 — easy to find with a simple search. Certainly worth a look for those who haven’t seen it.

Love history. Thanks for sharing.