Post practice talk. 8/25/22

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Based off of what though?

Hell, I remember this board losing their minds as if we were going to have a 5-12 season cause the offense couldn’t move the ball against the Chiefs in a preseason game. The same game I’m sure people forgot about a week later.
I remember arguing with 4-5 posters when people were going crazy about the DL being so bad in the preseason and I pointed out that none of those guys were going to be on the team in a week.

The preseason is all about watching individual roster players. If a 4th string DL sucks, so what?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I think there is a middle ground.

Giving the starters no playing time seems like a bad idea, at the same time it should probably be limited to one game and only a series or two.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Giving the starters no playing time seems like a bad idea, at the same time it should probably be limited to one game and only a series or two.
It might seem like a bad idea...if those reps were actually meaningful.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It also only makes sense when you are playing against other team's starters which we haven't really done all preseason either.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummmm Mahomes played in the two previous games and directed 3 scoring drives in the pre season
Maybe he said Mahomes, but means Aaron Rodgers?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he said Mahomes, but means Aaron Rodgers?
I don’t know why he’d mean Rodgers when that point of the conversation was specifically about The Chiefs and Andy Reid and what they do in preseason.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why he’d mean Rodgers when that point of the conversation was specifically about The Chiefs and Andy Reid and what they do in preseason.
Throwing the guy a bone...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Sean McVay is an idiot!

(Only dumb teams are doing what you are advocating now).
Are the Bills also a dumb team?

How about Bellicheck and the Pats?

Chiefs, Bills and Pats are perennial playoff teams.

Sitting guys all of preseason isn’t as black and white as you make it out to be, especially saying that only dumb teams do it. Some good franchises don’t play their guys at all, some still do. Speaking in absolutes about the subject, especially considering it’s still a relatively new way to play pre-season is premature.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Andy Reid is 64. Sean McVay is 36. Seems coaches closer to McVay's age tend to play starters in the preseason less. Seems coaches closer to Reid's age tend to play starters more. Just a generational difference more than anything.

Probably similar difference to importance level placed on preseason by posters here in relation to age.
You’re probably right. Personally I was probably against the no-play last year but don’t care this season. Last season showed it could be successful. As with all things I think each team/individuals facts and circumstances should be determinative. That’s why I criticize krangs absolutist commentary.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re probably right. Personally I was probably against the no-play last year but don’t care this season. Last season showed it could be successful. As with all things I think each team/individuals facts and circumstances should be determinative. That’s why I criticize krangs absolutist commentary.
I don’t know if he is right. You got young coaches in Green Bay, Buffalo, Philadelphia etc. that all have made their starters play… Age of coach sounds like a nonstarter to me.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t care any less what they do in preseason. We can all come back here and bemoan the fact the reason KC took us to the woodshed was because our Qb didn’t play for 8 plays. Won’t matter that we didn’t get within 5 yards of Mahommes.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ageism is not a nice look. ;)

How soon we forget about Coach Bell and his inability to adapt as an aging coach when he was at Western University. He ended up cheating to land blue chip players Neon Boudeaux, Butch McRae, and Ricky Roe. He resigned in disgrace because of it!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ignorance is an even worse look. We have ample evidence that playing starters in preseason is an outdated, foggie concept.

Hoola hoops and RC Cola. Boomer crap.

It was the parents of Boomers who bought them low-tech Hoola hoops and teeth-rotting RC.

Boomers = high tech, Ben & Jerry's and the best popular music of all time.

Here ends the history lesson.