Possible good news

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They have a really high bust rate imo because they're harder to find. A decent one comes along & people overhype them, hence "bust". Carter lifts players with one hand, I'll be totally shocked if he's a bust.
My issue is that he hasn't been super productive. I see the awesome film, but I don't see the awesome stats.

With Anderson I see both. If Anderson stuck around one more year, he'd be challenging all time career sack records. I don't see that kind of production from Carter.

I just don't see any situation where you have players at a similar grade that you take the player with a lot less production.

Then again, I think if the Bears don't trade down, they are most likely to take Anderson, so I think Carter will probably be a Cardinal regardless of how I feel.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue is that he hasn't been super productive. I see the awesome film, but I don't see the awesome stats.

With Anderson I see both. If Anderson stuck around one more year, he'd be challenging all time career sack records. I don't see that kind of production from Carter.

I just don't see any situation where you have players at a similar grade that you take the player with a lot less production.

Then again, I think if the Bears don't trade down, they are most likely to take Anderson, so I think Carter will probably be a Cardinal regardless of how I feel.
It’s hard for me to pick a DT over an impact player that can turn a game on one play.
However, on the opposite end a great DT will clog two gaps allowing other players to make plays. That won’t get the attention of the strip sack but it may have contributed to the play.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the argument is here. Nobody overpaid Darious Williams or DJ Reed last year. Why would Murphy be any different this year? Williams was CB2 on the superbowl winners.

His value, as dictated by similar level CB's in FA is $10-$11m. Maybe a tad more with cap inflation. Why would he get more than that? Why would we pay him more than that? We should overpay him to make sure he stays? Why?
Darious Williams is also 28 years old and Reed had some real bad years prior to his upswing.

I think Murphy will get the benefit of the doubt playing for what has mostly been a bad defense around him most of his career. Corners look better when they have a pass rush.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It’s hard for me to pick a DT over an impact player that can turn a game on one play.
However, on the opposite end a great DT will clog two gaps allowing other players to make plays. That won’t get the attention of the strip sack but it may have contributed to the play.
Watch Anderson's tape, and you'll see that as good a pass rusher as he is, he's pretty damn impressive agains the run as well. There is a reason that you see Anderson often lined up at 3-4 End at only 240 lbs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I've seen a number of people here say franchise him ($18.5m) or that he will get top CB money but ok, what do you call a decent contract?

Because one of Keim's issues has been overpaying average players and it needs to stop and as fans we need to stop overvaluing our own guys.
Keim overvalued the WRONG guys.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
One more thing. To the people that think he’s not worth it, you follow it up with somebody is going to overpay him? Why do you think this? If he sucks that bad why would anybody overpay? Maybe, just maybe, they see his value a little differently than you do. Maybe they’re right and you’re not.
Look at what Christian Kirk got last year. Decent player, not worth that kind of money.

If no one is offering the world and we we can get him at a decent price, fine, but let's not throw $17m per year at him because we have to keep our guys.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at what Christian Kirk got last year. Decent player, not worth that kind of money.

If no one is offering the world and we we can get him at a decent price, fine, but let's not throw $17m per year at him because we have to keep our guys.
Absolutely, but let’s not let 1m stop us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely, but let’s not let 1m stop us.

For what it's worth I think any GM should stick with the top number they worked out. You start getting into "just 500k more" and before you know it you're $3 mil over your number.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth I think any GM should stick with the top number they worked out. You start getting into "just 500k more" and before you know it you're $3 mil over your number.
No, before YOU know it. You get my point.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could easily see this front office valuing Allen wayyyy more than Murphy. Murphy could garner some big interest of course...but he's not that hard nosed player that the Patriots/Titans mentality is all about IMHO. I'd say, spend a little more to keep Allen and let Murphy walk if the asking is too much.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you mean by this lol
Cmon...you know, the guy that wears a hard hat, lunchpail, and so on and so forth.
What he said. :) That kinda thing.

They've always had an edge to them from a defensive perspective, that teams like the Cards have never been able to implement IMO. At least that was the MO during Ossenforts tenure.