Position by postion analysis of Cards current roster and draft needs

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I did all kinds of scribbling, jotting notes that took up about 5 pages of paper and I thought about putting all the thoughts downs but decided to go with the very short version.

After some serious study I came up with this as the order of importance as we head into Saturday.

Note-The wide receiver grade is based upon the assumption that we will sign Marcus Robinson by Saturday.

From highest need area to least
1. Defensive End-Starters (D+) and Reserves (D+)
2. Quarterbacks-Starter (C-) and Reserves (D)
3. Defensive Tackles-Starters (C-/D+) and Reserves (C-/D+)
4. Wide Receivers-Starters (C) and Reserves (C-)
5. Cornerbacks-Starters (C+) and Reserves (C-/D+)
6. Middle Linebackers-Starter (C+) and Reserves (C-)
7. Fullbacks-Starter (C+) and Reserves (D+)
8. Outside Linebackers-Starters (C+) and Reserves (C+)
9. Tight Ends-Starter (B) and Reserves (C/C+)
10. Safeties-Starters (B-) and Reserves (C+)
11. Running Backs-Starter (B-/C+) and Reserves (B+)
12. Offensive Line-Starters (B+) and Reserves (B)

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I admire you effort, Holian. However, let's make this post more tangible. I'll offer my assessments and you and everyone else can offer his or hers. Here goes:

DRAFT: IMMEDIATE NEEDS

Defensive End/Rush Linebacker: Two speed rushers are needed in this draft. Funny how the 49ers are close to signing Willie Whitehead and we don't even bring him in for a look-see. Very curious.

Wide Receiver: One or two needed, depending on whether (in the next 30 or so hours, a la Section 11 and Rod Graves) Marcus Robinson is signed. Will the Cardinals also be interested in giving up the #70 (3rd rd.) pick for WR Kevin Johnson of Cleveland. IMO, they'd be fools not to. Also, let's not forget about Tony Martin. He will have a shot at making this team in all likelihood.

Punt Returner: Wide open at this point. The draft may provide the newcomer.

DRAFT: MODERATE NEEDS

Quarterback: Jeff Blake is the immediate starter and may be the starter for three years. However, is Josh McCown the QB of the future? Is he a capable backup right now? Even if the Cardinals draft a QB, if he isn't Byron Leftwich, the Cardinals may need to add another veteran to serve as Blake's immediate backup.

Defensive Tackle: The Cardinals don't appear to be convinced that they are set at this position despite the fact that they already have Wendall Bryant, Marcus Bell and Nate Dwyer...and re-signed Russell Davis, Barron Tanner and Fred Wakefield (since he's not a rush end, is he better suited inside?). Somewhere along the line and even with the first pick, the DT position will be addressed.

Cornerback: The Cardinals are always looking to add corners, as are most teams. David Barrett may only sign a one year contract, thus further depth at the position is needed for the long term.

Special Teams Players: The Cardinals' second day picks will most likely address this area, which was a major area for concern last season.

DRAFT NEEDS: MINIMAL

Running Back: The team already has a Hall of Famer in Emmitt, a promising stalwart in Marcel Shipp and intriguing prospects such as Anderson, Scobey and Prentice.

Fullback: The stellar addition of James Hodgins and the re-signing of backup and special teams ace Dennis McKinley shored up the position.

Tight End: The team appears set with the complimentary trio of Freddie Jones, Steve Bush and Michael Banks.

Offensive Line: Depth was addressed in the off-season with the signings of Garcia, Roundtree and Spikes.

Safety: The starters are Dexter Jackson and Adrian Wilson. The backups include Lucas, Harris, Eason and Stone. A second day draft pick may challenge for a roster spot, but the need is not pressing.

Punter: Player is solid.

Kicker: Gramatica is solid.

Long Snapper: Hodel is solid.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walter,

Great post as always.

Here is how I would differ.

You say that the primary need is to get two speed rushers. I agree. But I think that Thompson/Fisher might be able to provide some of that. So, I think they may elevate a DT who can penetrate into the backfield to collapse the pocket as a priority. That is why, although I am in the Suggs camp at #6, the Cards may want to take Williams, Kennedy or Robertson in Rd1 and then a speed guy in rd2. Then WR in rd3.

This is how I would like it to go.

Just my .02. And admitadly not as knowledgeable as some on this board.

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thanks RedStorm and Hef. RS: I think you and Rod Graves are on the same page, which is why the Cardinals are in "deep discussions" about trading down...because of the plethora of talented DTs in this draft. And you're right about Thompson, he has shown edge quickness. Fisher is an unproven commodity, although I, like you, believe he will be able to offer outside pressure when healthy.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Walter Mitchell
Thanks RedStorm and Hef. RS: I think you and Rod Graves are on the same page, which is why the Cardinals are in "deep discussions" about trading down...because of the plethora of talented DTs in this draft. And you're right about Thompson, he has shown edge quickness. Fisher is an unproven commodity, although I, like you, believe he will be able to offer outside pressure when healthy.

Walter, Thanks.

You know Rod Graves and I are good buddies. I have a picture of him....

You must be registered for see images attach

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hef
yea thanks walter,i just cant wait for redstorm to pull his buddy's string:D :wave:

I am about to get ready to....MR is waiting and we still have 29 some hours to go...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with most of what you say Walter!

But I cant say that I would consider Grammatica "solid" He sucked last year and his KOs are absolutely atrocious!!!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
While Raynoch and Levar may have talent as edge rushers, I doubt that they'll get the chance to display it in our system. We talked about using Rosie Colvin as an end, not a rushing LB (whatever that is).

C'mon, we didn't even blitz Donnie McNabb when he was playing on one leg, Leftwich-style. What makes you think that we can take advantage of OLB speed by sending them after QBs? It's the best player for your system, not always the best athlete available.

I think we need a 2-Gap DT more than anything else, but we might be able to get him in the second round. Use the #6 on the best player available, because we have so many holes to fill, both in the short and long term.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need a 2-Gap DT more than anything else, but we might be able to get him in the second round. Use the #6 on the best player available, because we have so many holes to fill, both in the short and long term.

Kerouac, I think you're right - in part. That's one reason I think we might do the trade down with Baltimore and take Kevin Williams, if Williams can play DT two-gap, and I think he can because his frame can handle more weight.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
Kerouac, I think you're right - in part. That's one reason I think we might do the trade down with Baltimore and take Kevin Williams, if Williams can play DT two-gap, and I think he can because his frame can handle more weight.

I agree with both of you. Overshadowed by the glare of the pass rush problem is the fact that the Cards finished near the bottom of the league last year in Rushing Defense. Part of that may have been an offshoot of the lack of pass rush forcing DB's to play soft to protect against the pass, but that part of the defense must be addressed.

Another reason for the poor showing against the run was the pitiful tackling, hence my nickname for our defense "The Matador Squad". Hopefully somebody has made improving the tackling a priority this year.