POP vs D'Anton

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Difference is this...Pop puts the ball in the hands of his go to guys on crucial possessions...Mike D puts the ball in the hands of Doris and Barbosa during crucial must score positions....Unreal....its not rocket science mike...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Yah Gregg Popovich, he's a genius. I'm sure he drew up Duncan throwing up a 3 point prayer. Please.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Mike doesn't even have a functioning brain, why create this thread but to rub it in our noses that we have the worst coach in the NBA?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah Gregg Popovich, he's a genius. I'm sure he drew up Duncan throwing up a 3 point prayer. Please.

yeah, see, that's just it. There's NO WAY IN HELL he would draw up a play like Duncan's three pointer because it's going to be a prayer and that's not where the ball should go, as opposed to DA who CONSISTENTLY draw up plays for guys who are going to be hoisting up prayers and not being guys where the ball should go.

you haven't said this, but do you think DA's even close to being the coach that DA is?

OP
OP
H

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Mike doesn't even have a functioning brain, why create this thread but to rub it in our noses that we have the worst coach in the NBA?

"our" im a suns fan not a troll, and its terrible just terrible, i think mike is a great coach, but it just mystifies me that he refuses to get the ball in nash's/amares hands during the final position of the 4th

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
The blame obviously falls to D'Antoni. Barbosa and Diaw as the go-to guys? Really? Not fouling to put any Spur at the line? Once again, less than Popovich, whatever he may or may not have scripted with Duncan....

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
How does Nash not get the ball? Man I was so pissed off when I saw Barbosa guarding Finley. I can shoot over Barbosa.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Some of the key coaching issues today, IMO:

• Did not foul when we should have at least 2 times: end of regulation, end of first OT. Both end of regulation and end of first OT we were up by 3 and it was a no brainer that Spurs would have to go for a 3 with time running out. Guess what, they hit both 3 pointers and were wide open. We should have put them on the foul line.
  • Putting Barbosa in first OT instead of Hill for defense. Why was the 2nd best parameter defender on the team on the bench at a critical of the game?
  • I'm not sure if the Barbosa floater end of regulation was a drawn play. If it was, then that's another notch on the fabulous coaching. Barbosa is one of the least clutch player on the team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does this sentence even mean?

it means a) I was trying not to put words in your mouth and b) that my painkillers had kicked in. I was trying to ask if you thought DA was as good of a coach as Pop.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Some of the key coaching issues today, IMO:

• Did not foul when we should have at least 2 times: end of regulation, end of first OT. Both end of regulation and end of first OT we were up by 3 and it was a no brainer that Spurs would have to go for a 3 with time running out. Guess what, they hit both 3 pointers and were wide open. We should have put them on the foul line.

• That's what I thought. Along with giving them wide open 3's in both instances. That's a breakdown and it comes down to not executing proper D. There was no one within five feet of Duncan when he canned his 3! Inexcusable.

And why not just bear hug Alberto and put him on the line at the end of reg. like SA did with Skinner at the end of the 1st half? And they didn't do it twice!!?? Unbelievable! :shrug: Cotton would have never allowed that defeat.

nikko

Reaction score

Postgame Quotes: Spurs vs. Suns 4/19/2008
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_080419.html

Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On if Duncan’s three-pointer was a drawn up play - “Yes it was…but he was the third option. In all honesty I didn’t think it was going to go there but he was exactly where he was supposed to be and you could imagine my horror when it went his direction. That’s not what we expected would happen.”

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

According to POP he did but that really isn't the only example.

Please explain to me why in a crucial defensive stand you have Barbosa out there?

Please explain to me why then you on the next crucial offensive possession you again have Barbosa out there?

Please explain to me when you have one of the most clutch shooters in the NBA in Nash you take the shot out of his hands and run a play to Diaw?

Instead of having Steve lay his guts on the floor and make 2 late 3 point baskets just to keep us in the game..why not give it to him before that point to put the game away???

Blame this loss on D'Antoni.

cly2tw

Reaction score
DA had a rather good reputation drawing up plays for the last shot in the past. It's always a numbers' game, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

The more fundamental problem lies with his substitution.

1. He should plan Skinner in for some minutes to cover TD and give him some hard fouls, instead of only reacting to Shaq and Amare's foul trouble. Skinner is like Steven Hunter on offense now.

2. He should give Gira more time to spell Bell, who clearly had nothing left in the tank to contain Manu in the OTs, who exploited the situation and attached the paint relentlessly knowing Shaq with 5 fouls. Gira would be a good defender on Manu too.

3. Stick to single-coverage of TD! He had 5 assists which means we didn't do the job good enough. Spurs kept single-coverage on Shaq throughout with a great result for them.

Other than that, I'm not too worried.

Pfunk16

Reaction score
Not trolling. Just stating the obvious. Any Suns fan will tell you that DA sucks.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
2. He should give Gira more time to spell Bell, who clearly had nothing left in the tank to contain Manu in the OTs, who exploited the situation and attached the paint relentlessly knowing Shaq with 5 fouls. Gira would be a good defender on Manu too.
One of the reason we did not have any big to defend the layup. Even the best defender needs help sometimes. Ginobili admits that driving to the bucket for that shot was the best option since Suns had no big to defend the bucket.

HooverDam

Reaction score
it means a) I was trying not to put words in your mouth and b) that my painkillers had kicked in. I was trying to ask if you thought DA was as good of a coach as Pop.

I think judging the quality of coaching in the NBA is much harder to do than in any other sport. Is Jerry Sloan a good coach? He doesn't have any rings, but his winning percentage is comparable to D'Antonis (though over a longer period obviously, since D'Antoni hasn't been in the NBA as long). Outside of the Pistons of a few years ago, you almost always have to have one of the top 3 players of your generation to win a title.

Lets recap:

Heat-O'Neal
Spurs-Duncan
Lakers-O'Neal and Bryant
Bulls- Jordan
Rockets- Hakeem
Pistons (80s)- Isiah
Celtics- Bird
Lakers-Magic

Has D'Antoni had any guys on quite that level? Probably not. Nash is quite good, but he's just not able to take over a game quite like those guys did. Especially with all the bad luck the Suns have had (JJs eye, Amares knee, the suspensions, etc).

I do think D'Antoni has coaching deficiencies, he's obviously stubborn to a fault and I'd wish he'd use his bench more in the regular season, but heck, don't you remember the Frank Johnson days? I'll take a 60%+ winning percentage every day of the week. I like how the Jazz ownership has kept Sloan around even though he's never reached the ultimate goal, they know winning consistently at a clip like he has is quite a difficult thing to do.

D'Antoni himself has said the journey and not the destination is the most important thing. If the Suns never win the title, I'm not going to stop being a fan. I have fun watching the Suns, and I thought thats what sports was about. Sure its frustrating when they lose, but thats what makes the wins even more sweet.

So I guess what I'm saying is, is D'Antoni as good as Popp? Maybe not, but D'Antoni never had Duncan either. If Amare can continue his current trajectory, I think the Suns will have titles at some point, but its on Amare's back, they'll go as far as he can take them.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_080419.html
Actually he did. Read this and revisit the play.
Duncan was at least the 3rd option there. If he was freelancing he wouldn't have camped at the 3 pt line after the screen.
Such an apologist you are Hoover;)
As for comparing the two coaches, there is no comparison at this point in time.
D'Antoni lost points by not intentionally fouling the ball(2 shots) BEFORE the kick out to Duncan for the game tying 3.
I guess Mike was counting on our vaunted perimeter defense to "hope" the SPURS wouldn't:
A) Get a good look at a 3-point shot
B) Make a 3 point shot.
C) Get a stop on a turnover.
Instead of simply taking the game tying shot out of the equation entirely. The STERNS have been known to be clutch in the past.....no? Come on Mike.........:shrug:
Simply bad decisions. :deadhorse2:

Last edited:

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
I think judging the quality of coaching in the NBA is much harder to do than in any other sport. Is Jerry Sloan a good coach? He doesn't have any rings, but his winning percentage is comparable to D'Antonis (though over a longer period obviously, since D'Antoni hasn't been in the NBA as long). Outside of the Pistons of a few years ago, you almost always have to have one of the top 3 players of your generation to win a title.

Lets recap:

Heat-O'Neal, Wade and the zebras
Spurs-Duncan
Lakers-O'Neal and Bryant
Bulls- Jordan
Rockets- Hakeem
Pistons (80s)- Isiah
Celtics- Bird
Lakers-Magic

Has D'Antoni had any guys on quite that level? Probably not. Nash is quite good, but he's just not able to take over a game quite like those guys did. Especially with all the bad luck the Suns have had (JJs eye, Amares knee, the suspensions, etc).

I do think D'Antoni has coaching deficiencies, he's obviously stubborn to a fault and I'd wish he'd use his bench more in the regular season, but heck, don't you remember the Frank Johnson days? I'll take a 60%+ winning percentage every day of the week. I like how the Jazz ownership has kept Sloan around even though he's never reached the ultimate goal, they know winning consistently at a clip like he has is quite a difficult thing to do.

D'Antoni himself has said the journey and not the destination is the most important thing. If the Suns never win the title, I'm not going to stop being a fan. I have fun watching the Suns, and I thought thats what sports was about. Sure its frustrating when they lose, but thats what makes the wins even more sweet.

So I guess what I'm saying is, is D'Antoni as good as Popp? Maybe not, but D'Antoni never had Duncan either. If Amare can continue his current trajectory, I think the Suns will have titles at some point, but its on Amare's back, they'll go as far as he can take them.

FTFY

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn