Poltergeist (remake)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Boogeyman scribes Juliet Snowden and Stiles White will write the screenplay for MGM's planned remake of Poltergeist, the 1982 horror film that was directed by Tobe Hooper and produced/co-written by Steven Spielberg.

The MGM/UA release grossed $122 million worldwide and earned Oscar nominations for its ILM-designed visual effects, sound effects and score.

The story of a suburban home built over an Indian burial ground and thus inhabited by a nasty spook earned further cult status when two of the child actors in the movie died after the film's release. Two sequels were produced.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
hated clowns ever since! Now it looks as though hollywood has hired a couple of clowns to ruin a great film. More reason to hate!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the original really a great film? I can understand strange sentimental attachment, but not true cinematic appreciation. It takes itself too seriously to be a cult classic.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Was the original really a great film? I can understand strange sentimental attachment, but not true cinematic appreciation. It takes itself too seriously to be a cult classic.

Could it have been done better? Possibly
Do I have any faith that this will be done better then the original? Nope. Especially with the quality of remakes being done (generally bad) and the horror genre lately (bad). So thanks but no thanks

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes it was. Does it perfectly translate to the year 2015? Not perfectly, but few do. It was one scary-arsed film.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This for real?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks like it actually might be a decent remake for modern audiences. The original was a classic but lets face it.....some of the acting was campy.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trailer makes the movie look pretty solid. I will see this one in the theater, unless Stout tells me not to...... :D

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This opens today,....and I am thinking is on my agenda for this evening...love horror films,...loved the original,...loved the trailer for this one,...and have seen several reviews stating it is far scarier than the original.

I know y'all are riding Mad Max right now,....But IMO this is better use of my movie going dollar.

will let ya know how it goes...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This opens today,....and I am thinking is on my agenda for this evening...love horror films,...loved the original,...loved the trailer for this one,...and have seen several reviews stating it is far scarier than the original.

I know y'all are riding Mad Max right now,....But IMO this is better use of my movie going dollar.

It does look cool but I'm totally seeing mad max first :)

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This looks like its going to be scarier than the original (well, compared to the trailers). Let us know how it is and i'll see if its a go to for me

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
okay....maybe my expectations were too high,....my family enjoyed it,...but I found it to be pretty weak....some cheap startling type scares and video game type visuals that were kinda cool....but not at all actually "Scary".... we saw it in 3D as that was the only offering at my local AMC

I was really hoping to watch this one and then spend the rest of the night seeing shadows out of the corner of my eye, ya know??...but............. nada... piss poor writing in my opinion.... not an absolute do not bother,..but more of an,....it will be 15 bucks at wal mart in 3 or 4 months,...so just wait for that....

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
My 11 year old daughter really wants to see this. It would be her first "horror" movie. Is it appropriate for an 11 year old or too much?

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay....maybe my expectations were too high,....my family enjoyed it,...but I found it to be pretty weak....some cheap startling type scares and video game type visuals that were kinda cool....but not at all actually "Scary".... we saw it in 3D as that was the only offering at my local AMC

I was really hoping to watch this one and then spend the rest of the night seeing shadows out of the corner of my eye, ya know??...but............. nada... piss poor writing in my opinion.... not an absolute do not bother,..but more of an,....it will be 15 bucks at wal mart in 3 or 4 months,...so just wait for that....

Was worried you might post something like this. Not surprised that it wasn't that good though

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My 11 year old daughter really wants to see this. It would be her first "horror" movie. Is it appropriate for an 11 year old or too much?

In my opinion,...11 is probably just about right. My 14 y/o daughter liked the movie and suffered zero therapeutic damage...

it's kinda a shame,...if you wanna scar your kids for life,....you have to go back to the old classics....
showed my oldest boy Hellraiser and pumpkinhead,..stuff like that, when he was young,...you know,...five or six or something..... kid is 23 now and you couldn't pay him to sit and watch a horror film,lol

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion,...11 is probably just about right. My 14 y/o daughter liked the movie and suffered zero therapeutic damage...

it's kinda a shame,...if you wanna scar your kids for life,....you have to go back to the old classics....
showed my oldest boy Hellraiser and pumpkinhead,..stuff like that, when he was young,...you know,...five or six or something..... kid is 23 now and you couldn't pay him to sit and watch a horror film,lol

Understood. I let my daughter con me into watching "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" when she was about 8. As ridiculously funny as that film is, she still gets the shivers when she sees a clown.

Bad daddy!! Bad, BAD!!!!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was excited for this one because I loved the original I think it was a stellar horror film.

This wasn't good. They tried too hard to match the original in some spots, and didn't try hard enough in others.

A couple of times in the film there are silly jokes where its almost like they were giving up saying; hey we know this isn't really working so we will write an out of place joke into the script.

It wasn't terrible, or even bad, just not great and the original is such a classic I just dont think you can half-ass it in these remake attempts and get away with it, atleast not in my book.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poltergeist

Poltergeist

Release Date: May 22, 2015
Studio: 20th Century Fox, MGM
Director: Gil Kenan
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense frightening sequences, brief suggestive material, and some language)
Screenwriter: David Lindsay-Abaire
Genre: Drama, Thriller, Horror
Website: Poltergeist-Movie.com | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr

Starring: Sam Rockwell, Jared Harris, Rosemarie DeWitt, Saxon Sharbino, Jane Adams

Plot Summary: Legendary filmmaker Sam Raimi (“Spider-Man,” “Evil Dead,” “The Grudge”) and director Gil Kenan (“Monster House”) contemporize the classic tale about a family whose suburban home is haunted by evil forces. When the terrifying apparitions escalate their attacks and hold the youngest daughter captive, the family must come together to rescue her before she disappears forever.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort