POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the Cardinals didn't have #3 pick and we're down in the teens or 20s, this deal is already done.
Saints are in cap hell. The last thing they need is to pay for a 1st round pick this year. The Saints are looking at draft picks for 2024 from the Cardinals. Saints have ZERO leverage in this. Bidwill is doing a great job so far. Leave it at that.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay.

- Mickey Loomis has made it known that he wants two first rounders in return. Twice already.

I repeat

Two. First. Rounders. In. Return.

I’m not why this Payton discussion is even still going on. I think it’s obvious Bidwill nor any other Owner/GM will fall into those demands.
1000% this

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'll settle for a coach that lasts 6 years...lol Something the Cardinals have never had.
agree. But historically the successful franchises have a long term coach that personifies the team.
the steelers have had only 3 head coaches since 1969
shula spent 25 years with the dolphins...what have they done since?
the stability is important I think.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Loomis is fine with letting Payton walk with no compensation in return after 2024 because he wants to make hilarious demands, then hey, that’s his dumba… fault.
1000% correct. Loomis wants Payton to be hired THIS year. He knows he would get even less in return next year because the longer a coach is away from the NFL, the less value he has. But, I don’t believe that Loomis is looking for 2023 compensation. And MO would NEVER, EVER give up a 1st this year for Payton. Just not happening. The longer this drags out, the better off the Cardinals are. It’s the Saints that are getting desperate.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Saints are in cap hell. The last thing they need is to pay for a 1st round pick this year. The Saints are looking at draft picks for 2024 from the Cardinals. Saints have ZERO leverage in this. Bidwill is doing a great job so far. Leave it at that.
Except considering our draft pick(s) next year will likely be even better than this year

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Wait... do people really believe we're going to have a better season next year?

No starting QB, no D-Hop, no Ertz, no center, no way we fix the O-line that fast - especially with a brand new coaching staff

2023 is going to be a rough year. I fully 100% expect the Arizona Cardinals to draft top 5 in 2024, that's just basic logic

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

No starting QB, no D-Hop, no Ertz, no center, no way we fix the O-line that fast - especially with a brand new coaching staff

2023 is going to be a rough year. I fully 100% expect the Arizona Cardinals to draft top 5 in 2024, that's just basic logic
If Payton is coaching, we will definitely be better than last year. Especially if he does bring along Fangio to be our DC. Payton would bring along Winston to be our QB also. With NO talent, Payton is at least 4 games better than KK.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We earned the 3rd pick with our franchise quarterback playing much of the season, do you think it'll get better without him?
He'll likely play as much this year as he did last. I anticipate a bad year for sure, but it's really hard to be top 3 bad. Since 99, we've had 3 picks in the top 3. If you think it's happening again next year, I'd be glad to take your money!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing a trade now is stupid. Especially since teams know we are doing it to get Payton. There is no doubt in my mind if we played this card we would get fleeced.

Personally, I don't think Payton is worth a 1st or 2nd in this draft. I can handle a conditional pick next year. But if New Orleans won't take that, then eff em.

I am glad MO is bringing in more candidates. It's leverage in negotiations with NO. And, who knows? Maybe one of these guys blows everbody away and gets the job.
Agreed. Payton is worth at best a third this year or a second next.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This roadblock seems to be all about Loomis and nothing that Michael Bidwill (which seems to have done a great job setting up to make this happen), or the dysfunctional ownership of the Broncos, or even Payton himself had done now to warrant casting shade on. I have moved past Payton and I am actually intrigued by the Bengal candidates

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess one benefit from all these interviews is that Monty gets multiple opinions on our personnel from people other than the in house scouts and coaches. Where we are ok and more importantly where we need to change things on each side of the ball and hopefully even down to individual players strengths and weaknesses and where they think could excel and how that would happen compared to former staff.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I guess one benefit from all these interviews is that Monty gets multiple opinions on our personnel from people other than the in house scouts and coaches. Where we are ok and more importantly where we need to change things on each side of the ball and hopefully even down to individual players strengths and weaknesses and where they think could excel and how that would happen compared to former staff.
Also, as Monti stated, making intelligent decisions on talent which corresponds to what the hell our offense and defense is actually trying to accomplish

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Payton is coaching, we will definitely be better than last year. Especially if he does bring along Fangio to be our DC. Payton would bring along Winston to be our QB also. With NO talent, Payton is at least 4 games better than KK.
Again, Payton isn't coming and even if he did - just because he coached the Saints - doesn't mean he is a Saint. Homie may be one hell of a coach but I assure you he cannot perform miracles

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
He'll likely play as much this year as he did last. I anticipate a bad year for sure, but it's really hard to be top 3 bad. Since 99, we've had 3 picks in the top 3. If you think it's happening again next year, I'd be glad to take your money!
You must be registered for see images attach

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This roadblock seems to be all about Loomis and nothing that Michael Bidwill (which seems to have done a great job setting up to make this happen), or the dysfunctional ownership of the Broncos, or even Payton himself had done now to warrant casting shade on. I have moved past Payton and I am actually intrigued by the Bengal candidates
Not so intrigued by the begals OC...as several commentators mentioned, the staple of their offense seems to just be Burrough throwing it up to two very talented WR's and little else.

their defense on the other hand is pretty solid.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Not so intrigued by the begals OC...as several commentators mentioned, the staple of their offense seems to just be Burrough throwing it up to two very talented WR's and little else.

their defense on the other hand is pretty solid.
Yes, their DC is the guy I am most intrigued by, but we have to be honest, one cannot discount any of these guys. They have won consistently of late and that cannot be put to just throwing the ball up for grabs... there is definitely a method to their madness that works lol

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sean Payton isn't coming to Arizona and although I feel for those who still think he might, I also can't fathom why anyone would

Questionable and severely injured QB who's legs are his only protection due our O-line being in complete shambles. Not to mention the that same QB eating up all cap space. Our center basically retired during the season. Our best receiver wants out. Our second best receiver is only 4 feet tall. Our third best receiver and our injured QB's best homie on the team is only signed thru 2023, we'll be lucky to see Hollywood Brown and Kyler Murray play another 5 games together. Not to mention Ertz is also hurt.

Then there's a rookie GM who made his bones in the Draft. He's supposed to trade our best immediate future to bring Sean Payton in? That's pretty freakin counter productive if you ask me

It's just not gonna happen. If I'm wrong here I'll own it. But there are just better options for Sean Payton out there, including the FOX gig. It's just not happening people

Murray doesn't "eat up all our cap space"

He with the new salary cap raise he is:

7.12% cap space next year
20.39% cap space in 2024
14% of the cap space in 2025

This is easily researchable online

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Even though all that is true, doing better than this season is not much of a bar to top.

Yes it is possible we have a better season next year, and still not be that good, in fact I would certainly hope that would be the case.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose