POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He would have absolutely won with the 2022 roster. Remove questionable decisions and play calls, add in accountability of players and a competent replacement kicker and he easily wins with this roster. It's not like the Cards went out and got there doors blown off all season...lol
You know there is a part of me that thinks the Chargers arent that much different than the Cards. Even Herbert's #s arent completing blowing Kyler's outta the water when you think of it. Kyler's missed 5 games and Herbert only has 7 more TD passes. Healthy/Prepared Colt might have even had the Cards on 3 game win streak right now. Bucs, Broncos and Pats are really bad.

Idk, just trying to think of ways Mike could sell Payton, lol. Just tough with the Kyler ACL injury though.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guarantee SP doesn't come here unless he and MB can agree that SP is in charge from day one and MB needs to step back and just be the owner and let football people run the football team.

I'm not worried about Mike.

He's not a malicious interferer. He's not like the Haslams telling GMs who to draft. He's more a curious observer. He's just had weak GMs unwilling to shut him out.

If he's paying Payton $15-$20m a year then Payton has control. He can't afford to piss Payton off.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
He's not a malicious interferer. He's not like the Haslams telling GMs who to draft. He's more a curious observer. He's just had weak GMs unwilling to shut him out.
from what i have heard -- and granted -- its a little dated and obvs second hand: this is pretty accurate

(would love to hear Mao's take here):

Mike B is described as a "consensus guy"

things worked with Arians because he was such a strong personality that Keim's bad ideas wouldn't survive "consensus". The FO benefited from another experienced person giving input into personnel decisions.

Kliff isn't a strong personality in that dynamic, so Keim has gone unchecked

football karma

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

if you scroll down in twitter, he says the above is sourced vs his speculation

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
One thing Denver now has to offer Payton is an owner with the deepest pockets in the NFL. They can get a new GM and Payton could influence who that is. There is a world of difference between the Georgia Frontierre Rams and the Stan Kroenke Rams, so that is where my thoughts come from.

Then there is Russell Wilson...lol

football karma

Reaction score
One thing Denver now has to offer Payton is an owner with the deepest pockets in the NFL. They can get a new GM and Payton could influence who that is. There is a world of difference between the Georgia Frontierre Rams and the Stan Kroenke Rams, so that is where my thoughts come from.

Then there is Russell Wilson...lol
for Denver, if the Fangio as DC for Payton are true -- thats a tough one given Denver fired Fangio as HC not that long ago.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a top three draft pick? I don't see why not, with a like-minded GM.

I guess it depends on what you consider the "current" roster. When we enter 2023, we'll have a lot of roles to fill. Bring in some guys he feels are a fit for his system, and I think so. This roster is very empty.

If you're asking if in a complete vacuum if he could win with the 2022 roster, no... but that's not really how football works.
Of course we don’t know what the roster will be next year. I’m asking had he been the head coach with this current roster would we have been a better team?

football karma

Reaction score
Chargers clinching last night was good (obvs) for Staley's prospects as HC

they still can get to 11 wins and likely will want to: getting to the fifth seed in the AFC means facing JAX in round 1 vs Cincy, KC or Buff

i think a 10 or 11 win season given the key people they have had out --and assuming a competitive playoff game -- pretty much assures they keep Staley

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Think DeMeco Ryans will be our HC when it’s all said & done.
I'm down with that, as long as he brings in a competent OC and the team gives him free reign to hire his staff. I don't want another handcuffed HC.
So many former DC's washout as HC cause they have no plan with the offense.

Him bringing Anthony Lynn as OC would be interesting though.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So many former DC's washout as HC cause they have no plan with the offense.

Him bringing Anthony Lynn as OC would be interesting though.
Why would he bring Lynn? They don’t have any connection with each other.

Pretty sure he would nab some of Shanny’s staff.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree. He would grab someone from Shanny's staff. ;)
You must be registered for see images attach

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. He would grab someone from Shanny's staff. ;)
You must be registered for see images attach
Thought for sure he was still with Detroit.

I wouldn’t want Lynn though. Aim for Slowik.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know nothing about him. Is he any good? Haven't heard his mentioned until now.
Been coaching since 2011. Under Shanahan everywhere he has been. Has worked both defense & offense & has been in different offensive roles since 2017.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

FWIW, Shanahan's staff is fairly picked over right now. They've had a significant brain drain over the past few years.

What if Ryans brought in Bill O'Brien as his OC for a year to get him back into the NFL and be a mentor?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, Shanahan's staff is fairly picked over right now. They've had a significant brain drain over the past few years.

What if Ryans brought in Bill O'Brien as his OC for a year to get him back into the NFL and be a mentor?
Then Kliff must stay.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Think DeMeco Ryans will be our HC when it’s all said & done.
I think he will go to Denver personally. No young QB to worry about. An offense set up to run the ball and play defense. Good defensive personnel. Big ownership pockets. He may be the biggest splash after Payton and Denver wants a big splash.