Poll - Igor Kokoskov's Future With the Suns

How long does Igor Kokoskov last (in terms of recent coach performance)?

• Lindsay Hunter/Terry Porter Scenario (Gone in 2018)

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Earl Watson/Jay Triano Scenario (Gone at the End of the Season or in the Middle of Next Season)

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Jeff Hornacek/Frank Johnson Scenario (2-3 Seasons, No Progress)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Scott Skiles/Danny Ainge Scenario (3-4 Seasons, Limited Success)

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Alvin Gentry/Mike D'Antoni Scenario (4+ Seasons and Return to Contention)

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I posted earlier that I think he will be gone after 25 games with a 4-21 record. Based on what I've seen, I am sticking with that. The only change in my opinion is that I now believe he deserves that fate, whereas earlier I felt bad for him that the roster holes at point guard and power forward put him in a position to fail, and that Sarver would make him the scapegoat when the inevitable collapse of the team occurred.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It is difficult to choose between the first and second choices.

Hiring Igor was a mistake and should be corrected before he does even more damage.

But with all the recent in-season firings by Sarver, it would just be another embarrassment.

And he would just choose another puppet, as he is evidently doing with General Manager.

So I chose end of the season as the overall lesser of evils.

But, on the other hand . . . . . . . . . . :shrug:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Given that Sarver will play a major role in hiring the next coach we need to give Igor a long leash - at least one whole season. To me the worst thing is that the team is simply not playing hard - that has to be a good bit on the coach. You could see it as him being sabotaged by his veteran players but he had it in his power to put a stop to it and reacted very slowly. At least he should have had it in his power but who knows what power he has within our dysfunctional front office? There has been an uptick in player effort the last few games so I'm clinging to that for now.

What would change my mind about the whole year would be finding out that Becky Hammond would love to have the job! If we wait until the offseason she might get snatched up by another team, so we grab her while we can.

OP
OP
1Sun

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Given that Sarver will play a major role in hiring the next coach we need to give Igor a long leash - at least one whole season. To me the worst thing is that the team is simply not playing hard - that has to be a good bit on the coach. You could see it as him being sabotaged by his veteran players but he had it in his power to put a stop to it and reacted very slowly. At least he should have had it in his power but who knows what power he has within our dysfunctional front office? There has been an uptick in player effort the last few games so I'm clinging to that for now.

What would change my mind about the whole year would be finding out that Becky Hammond would love to have the job! If we wait until the offseason she might get snatched up by another team, so we grab her while we can.

The player effort in Chicago was pretty horrendous.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I went with the last option. I'm seeing some sparks from this team that I haven't seen in a while and I'm a huge fan of the recent lineup changes. I'm optimistic that we'll turn the corner later this year and we'll be playing .500 basketball towards the end of the season.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I went with the last option. I'm seeing some sparks from this team that I haven't seen in a while and I'm a huge fan of the recent lineup changes. I'm optimistic that we'll turn the corner later this year and we'll be playing .500 basketball towards the end of the season.
I must be watching some other purple team....let me check

OP
OP
1Sun

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I only have one account and one handle, folks.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

i'd be happy to have Becky replace Igor. she's also untested, but she seems tough and it would have to be someone affordable for Sarver to add another coach to those he's still paying.

another option to explore may be Nash. he's into soccer right now, but said this week that he aspires to be a coach or GM.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think 1tin is 1sun

like it's so hard to believe 2 posters here could share a critical opinion of Igor

the poll is now 14 to 6 along those lines
i wouldn't say those 6 are the same person
i'd just say they're wearing similar rose-colored glasses

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I must be watching some other purple team....let me check

Haha. I'm wrong a lot and I'm right a lot, so we'll see. We just need a couple more breaks to come our way and I see us starting to turn that corner.

We've sucked for a long time, but really we just hit rock bottom very recently.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd be happy to have Becky replace Igor. she's also untested, but she seems tough and it would have to be someone affordable for Sarver to add another coach to those he's still paying.

another option to explore may be Nash. he's into soccer right now, but said this week that he aspires to be a coach or GM.

If Nash would take either job, give it to him. I can't see the Suns hiring anyone better.

OP
OP
1Sun

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Nash would take either job, give it to him. I can't see the Suns hiring anyone better.

I would be all for that. Unfortunately Sarver already tried to court Nash, and Nash told him to pound sand.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would be all for that. Unfortunately Sarver already tried to court Nash, and Nash told him to pound sand.
perhaps they can work it out with some kind of non-interference agreement

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
perhaps they can work it out with some kind of non-interference agreement
I wouldn't count on Sarver to stick to it and I'll bet Steve feels the same. And it could only be a verbal agreement.

Now if MVSteve could assemble a large group of investors and make Robert an offer he and his cohorts couldn't refuse, that would be Paradise.

Especially for the fans. We could even chip in and pay for his Greyhound bus ride back to his banking base in San Diego. :cool:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
interesting. now 9 votes for 4 years or more of Igor

is FoxSportsAZ broadcasting with rose-colored video cameras?

OP
OP
1Sun

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on Sarver to stick to it and I'll bet Steve feels the same. And it could only be a verbal agreement.

Now if MVSteve could assemble a large group of investors and make Robert an offer he and his cohorts couldn't refuse, that would be Paradise.

Especially for the fans. We could even chip in and pay for his Greyhound bus ride back to his banking base in San Diego. :cool:

I have some inside information that says this can't happen. This ownership group is in it for the long haul, like it or not.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
admittedly, many of the criticisms of Igor are speculative
but more evidence keeps coming in. especially in regards to Ayton

either Igor is not teaching Ayton good fundamentals
or Ayton is not listening or responding

but the announcers said last night that Ayton was an excellent and willing pupil
-- a "sponge" they said
and yet he looks more lost today than day 1 -- on offense, defense, and rebounding

OP
OP
1Sun

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
admittedly, many of the criticisms of Igor are speculative
but more evidence keeps coming in. especially in regards to Ayton

either Igor is not teaching Ayton good fundamentals
or Ayton is not listening or responding

but the announcers said last night that Ayton was an excellent and willing pupil
-- a "sponge" they said
and yet he looks more lost today than day 1 -- on offense, defense, and rebounding

I witnessed this in Tucson. Ayton is as coachable as they come. He just needs a coach...

bwgood77

Reaction score
I'd be somewhat surprised if he's fired this year. Joe Prunty would be worse as an interim. Igor has shown he is a solid coach internationally and a great assistant with very good teams. Utah misses him.

Plus the Suns rep would get worse and hiring a coach with any sort of good resume would be near impossible.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Igor has shown he is a solid coach internationally and a great assistant with very good teams. Utah misses him.

Plus the Suns rep would get worse and hiring a coach with any sort of good resume would be near impossible.

i'll bet he was a fine assistant coach. he still is
he was one for a long time and no one wanted to promote him until Sarver went bargain shopping after loosening up his wallet on player salaries.

replacing Igor at any time would only confirm what any team who has prepped to play the Suns already knows -- the team is fundamentally flawed and predictable under Igor. Their weaknesses can be exploited and they're only a threat if 3 or more players are hot on the same night.

we can only preserve or enhance our bad reputation by keeping him
but we might start repairing it and our players bad habits by replacing him
sooner than later