Please let this be true - Payton possibly linked to Cards and Chargers per Bleacher Report

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure Payton could call more creative plays than a neg 2 yd screen every dang start to drives.... sure will be same old shiattt vs chargers

I'm on board Payton I'm tired of kliffy Failraid system that didn't even succeed in college lol

Pleaseee desperately please come save the cardinals

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I would love to see Payton rip into Murray coming off the field. IMO We really don’t have many alpha dogs contrary to what maybe popular opinion. We need an alpha male at the head coach spot in the worst way. Even nfl players need to fear for their job at times
Can you imagine the reaction from Sean Payton if Murray yelled at him "Calm the F**k down!" during a game. Talk about must see TV. The S**t would hit the fan.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wouldn’t fly with most coaches.

I would normally agree. But we’ve reached an age where the player makes 45 million a year and the coach 5-10 million a year and their contracts are locked in… So teams don’t have a Lot of repercussions as to what they can do when you have 130+ million guaranteed as a player.

While I agree players should be well and handsomely compensated. It’s the biggest problem with guarantees. A player goes off the deep end and what recourse does the team have? Almost none. Other then dealing with massive dead money cap hits that make your team uncompetitive for years to come.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would normally agree. But we’ve reached an age where the player makes 45 million a year and the coach 5-10 million a year and their contracts are locked in… So teams don’t have a Lot of repercussions as to what they can do when you have 130+ million guaranteed as a player.

While I agree players should be well and handsomely compensated. It’s the biggest problem with guarantees. A player goes off the deep end and what recourse does the team have? Almost none. Other then dealing with massive dead money cap hits that make your team uncompetitive for years to come.
I am not saying who would ultimately win the war, but not many coaches would take it like Kliff did. Further this is not Brady or Rogers. This is someone who hasn’t won squat.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I don't think you and I will disagree on this one... pre-emptively, don't give the kid a contract that lets him think he can yell at the coach like that before he's proven he's worthwhile.

Second, if you hold yourself accountable as a coach and leader, among other men, I don't think the primadonna QB is going to be able to talk like that. Coach bro doesn't even inspire confidence.

I firmly believe that a coach who holds himself accountable and doesn't talk about getting drunk in Vegas during press conferences, or ******* his QB before even drafting him, might have some sway.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is speculation of course but I hope it is a real possibility. Makes sense that he would want a QB already in place. I can see him working for Bidwill but not Keim.

The article wouldn't paste on here for me.

Mod note: Copy link for story:
Code:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10056582-nfl-rumors-sean-payton-connected-to-chargers-cardinals-amid-cowboys-buzz
It is not pure speculation, CFL. Graziano is saying that it is what he hear, and in regard to insiders that usually means there is something to it.

Jeremy Fowler reports that Vance Joseph is still a hot head coaching candidate, by the way.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can't back it up but I heard he's going to want in the mid $20 mils. If that's the case, there's not a chance.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it might be part of the 'patient' part. Not just waiting for the right team, but waiting for the right GM that can afford him.
20 million is insane, not even the highest paid college coach gets that & the top ones are paid more than in the NFL. Where did you hear that figure?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not even entertaining the idea.

I just don't see Bidwill firing anyone before their new 5 year deal they just signed kicks in. Has that ever happened?

It just goes against everything we know about Mike B. And he has a get out of jail free card with injuries. He's just going to tell himself (as I'm sure everyone in that building is) that the season was lost to injuries.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
20 million is insane, not even the highest paid college coach gets that & the top ones are paid more than in the NFL. Where did you hear that figure?

I think it was on the PHNX podcast a couple weeks ago where I heard that thrown out. I think its safe to say though that he will set the new bar for salaries whenever it happens.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not even entertaining the idea.

I just don't see Bidwill firing anyone before their new 5 year deal they just signed kicks in. Has that ever happened?

It just goes against everything we know about Mike B. And he has a get out of jail free card with injuries. He's just going to tell himself (as I'm sure everyone in that building is) that the season was lost to injuries.
Like it is every year

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s the Holiday season and we can dream about Payton coming to Arizona, but then you wake up Christmas morning and find out Santa Bidwill kicks you in the junk and leaves you a piece of coal.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Payton would be great but I don‘t think there’s any chance Bidwill could pony up enough money to convince Payton to enter this mess even with player acquisition control.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Payton would be great but I don‘t think there’s any chance Bidwill could pony up enough money to convince Payton to enter this mess even with player acquisition control.
Bidwill let Wilks go and paid him off, not much, but still did. Money is not an option still because though he is on the lower financial end of financial ownership , Bidwill is still a billionaire, hence the money him and other owners pay for the players alone during the season. Money is not a deterrent, and actually might be a positive factor entrusting it to Payton, because he stands to make a hell of a lot more money winning football games and that is a bulk of how he makes money

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Bidwill let Wilks go and paid him off, not much, but still did. Money is not an option still because though he is on the lower financial end of financial ownership , Bidwill is still a billionaire, hence the money him and other owners pay for the players alone during the season. Money is not a deterrent, and actually might be a positive factor entrusting it to Payton, because he stands to make a hell of a lot more money winning football games and that is a bulk of how he makes money
True, Bidwill’s net worth is estimated at $1.4 billion. However that’s deceptive. The bulk of his wealth is not liquid but rather comes from his ownership share of the Cards’ $2.1+ billion value. He’d either have to sell, in which case he wouldn’t care who’s the coach or he have to borrow with the Cards as security. Bad time to borrow with interest rates rising. Also who’d make that move just to change coaches. He needs to keep the Cards profitable and sadly he doesn’t have to win to do that as ticket sales are fine and TV revenues will rise.