Please let this be true - Payton possibly linked to Cards and Chargers per Bleacher Report

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is speculation of course but I hope it is a real possibility. Makes sense that he would want a QB already in place. I can see him working for Bidwill but not Keim.

The article wouldn't paste on here for me.

Mod note: Copy link for story:
Code:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10056582-nfl-rumors-sean-payton-connected-to-chargers-cardinals-amid-cowboys-buzz

Last edited by a moderator:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason Bleacher Report stories don't show up and are parsed.

Here's the story

Copy link:
Code:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10056582-nfl-rumors-sean-payton-connected-to-chargers-cardinals-amid-cowboys-buzz

NFL Rumors: Sean Payton Connected to Chargers, Cardinals amid Cowboys Buzz​

:
Former New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton is expected to have his pick of NFL head-coaching vacancies this offseason, but he's reportedly expected to be patient in picking out his next job.

Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reported Payton has his eye on potential openings with the Los Angeles Chargers and Arizona Cardinals. The veteran coach reportedly prefers a situation in which the quarterback situation is already settled, rather than wanting to draft and develop a rookie.

The Saints retain Payton's rights and will likely expect some form of compensation to allow their former longtime coach to take another job. However, it's unlikely the level of compensation necessary will dissuade any team from pursuing one of the best coaches of this generation.

Of the two jobs mentioned, the Cardinals are far more likely to have an opening this offseason. Arizona is sitting at 4-7 heading into Sunday's game against the Chargers, and Kliff Kingsbury appears to be headed for his third .500 or worse season in four years. Kyler Murray has also seemingly regressed after signing a five-year, $230.5 million contract during the offseason.

Given Payton's success in New Orleans with Drew Brees—another less-than-ideal-sized quarterback (6'0" compared to Murray's 5'10")—the Cardinals could be motivated to break the bank for the coach.

Brandon Staley is 14-13 during his tenure in Los Angeles, but it doesn't appear his seat is especially warm. The Chargers have been ravaged by injuries all season, with quarterback Justin Herbert playing through a painful rib injury and wideouts Keenan Allen and Mike Williams both missing extended time. If Staley is ultimately fired, it likely won't be until after the 2023 season—barring a complete collapse to close 2022.

Payton has been regularly linked to a potential Dallas Cowboys opening, but there does not appear to be any momentum in replacing Mike McCarthy. The Cowboys are a combined 19-8 over the last two seasons (including this year) and are trending toward making a second straight playoff appearance.

OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Here's the story

Copy link:
Code:

:
Former New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton is expected to have his pick of NFL head-coaching vacancies this offseason, but he's reportedly expected to be patient in picking out his next job.

Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reported Payton has his eye on potential openings with the Los Angeles Chargers and Arizona Cardinals. The veteran coach reportedly prefers a situation in which the quarterback situation is already settled, rather than wanting to draft and develop a rookie.

The Saints retain Payton's rights and will likely expect some form of compensation to allow their former longtime coach to take another job. However, it's unlikely the level of compensation necessary will dissuade any team from pursuing one of the best coaches of this generation.

Of the two jobs mentioned, the Cardinals are far more likely to have an opening this offseason. Arizona is sitting at 4-7 heading into Sunday's game against the Chargers, and Kliff Kingsbury appears to be headed for his third .500 or worse season in four years. Kyler Murray has also seemingly regressed after signing a five-year, $230.5 million contract during the offseason.

Given Payton's success in New Orleans with Drew Brees—another less-than-ideal-sized quarterback (6'0" compared to Murray's 5'10")—the Cardinals could be motivated to break the bank for the coach.

Brandon Staley is 14-13 during his tenure in Los Angeles, but it doesn't appear his seat is especially warm. The Chargers have been ravaged by injuries all season, with quarterback Justin Herbert playing through a painful rib injury and wideouts Keenan Allen and Mike Williams both missing extended time. If Staley is ultimately fired, it likely won't be until after the 2023 season—barring a complete collapse to close 2022.

Payton has been regularly linked to a potential Dallas Cowboys opening, but there does not appear to be any momentum in replacing Mike McCarthy. The Cowboys are a combined 19-8 over the last two seasons (including this year) and are trending toward making a second straight playoff appearance.
Yes. I kept trying to paste the article but it wouldn't let me.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are we actually sure Staley is actually going to get fired even if they miss the playoffs?

I think people are coming to realization that he’s not good, but the Chargers have more of an injury excuse than we do.

- Bosa missing more than half the season

- JC Jackson out for the season.

- Slater out for the season

- Keenan missing half the season

- Mike Williams missing a solid portion of the season

Most of these guys are young cornerstones. I can see Spanos giving it one more year before the dam breaks.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is speculation of course but I hope it is a real possibility. Makes sense that he would want a QB already in place. I can see him working for Bidwill but not Keim.

The article wouldn't paste on here for me.

Mod note: Copy link for story:
Code:
Just send the Saints a 2nd round pick, we're used to never picking them anyways.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are we actually sure Staley is actually going to get fired even if they miss the playoffs?

I think people are coming to realization that he’s not good, but the Chargers have more of an injury excuse than we do.

Most of these guys are young cornerstones. I can see Spanos giving it one more year before the dam breaks.
We don't know. Don't think Staley is well regarded by fans, etc, no idea by ownership.

But here's hoping the Spanos family is cheaper than M.B. in paying two coaches at the same time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I stopped listening to the Ringer NFL Podcasts and started listening to Slow News Day once Kevin Clark left the former.

Friday, Clark went off on a long thing about the amount of kayfabe that goes into NFL coaching "searches." He said that when you talk to people in the league you find that the dots get connected much, much earlier than people think. This specifically came up around Staley's future and Sean Payton. He said that it's not uncommon for coaches to call up a front office and express interest if the job became available.

He brought it up AGAIN on Monday's show, around Staley's future and Sean Payton. I don't think you need to be Nostradamus to read the tea leaves there.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Bidwill has to be smart enough to have a performance buyout in the KK contract right?
There is speculation (Mike Florio being one source) that neither Keim nor Kliff's contracts are 100% guaranteed

in fairness -- Gambo says they are 100% guaranteed, but that is (likely) an off the record statement to him by Kliff's agent who has every reason to lie about it

my guess (emphasis on that word) is that they were really 3 year extensions (through 2024) with options or triggers that would guarantee the final two

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
also: there is some history to Cardinals owners saying "eff-it" and bringing in a big personality / name and letting them run the show

Bill Sr did it with Buddy Ryan

Bill Sr / Mike (kinda) did it with Denny Green

Payton would be far and away the most accomplished coach if they pulled this off

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is speculation (Mike Florio being one source) that neither Keim nor Kliff's contracts are 100% guaranteed

in fairness -- Gambo says they are 100% guaranteed, but that is (likely) an off the record statement to him by Kliff's agent who has every reason to lie about it

my guess (emphasis on that word) is that they were really 3 year extensions (through 2024) with options or triggers that would guarantee the final two
Gambo gets a lot of stuff right cause he knows someone inside the organization but I hope the contracts are not guaranteed.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Here's the story

Copy link:
Code:

:

Funny that they mention the Chargers injuries and not the Cardinals...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they have the super bowl this year, they can use that to pay off the 2 mopes that dont do their job
Technically there are a helluva lot more than two currently within the organization but point well taken

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herbert should be the QB Payton prefers but if he sees something in Kyler he thinks he can fix? Kyler has way more upside because of his running ability if a coach can teach him to read a defense imo.
I mean maybe - but he would have to be awful arrogant to think he can be the one to turn Kyler around, but if he did and pulled it off it would be great for his legacy that's for sure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose