Playoffs 2010: Western Conf Finals, Game 2 – Suns At Lakers Game Thread

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (AP)—Channing Frye(notes) is just grateful an NBA playoff series doesn’t follow the Tour de France’s rules.
After enduring their largest blowout loss in four months in the Western Conference finals opener, the Phoenix Suns don’t have to begin Game 2 way behind the guys in the yellow jerseys.

“They’re not going to start out with a 30-point lead,” said Frye, forgetting the Suns lost to the Lakers by a mere 21 points Monday night. “It’s over, and we’re going to be even again, so hopefully we’ll do a better job.”
The Suns seemed cautiously upbeat Tuesday at their Staples Center workout following Los Angeles’ 128-107 victory in the opener. Coach Alvin Gentry held court with team personnel at the scorers’ table, while Steve Nash(notes) calmly sipped a cup of tea across the way.
And Amare Stoudemire was still talking tough before Game 2 on Wednesday night.
The Suns forward, who promised physical play against the Lakers’ bulky frontcourt before the series, was unimpressed by Lamar Odom(notes), who had 19 points and 19 rebounds off the Lakers’ bench in the opener.
“He had a lucky game in Game 1,” said Stoudemire, who seems particularly fiery in what might be his last few games with Phoenix if he declines a contract option and becomes a free agent this summer.
“We’ve just got to make sure we box him out,” said Stoudemire, who managed just three rebounds while Odom set a career playoff high on the boards. “I think I focused so much on (Pau) Gasol and (Andrew) Bynum to where he sneaked in there and got 19 boards.”
Odom and his teammates could only chuckle at Stoudemire’s bravado after another workout at their El Segundo training complex. Odom’s versatile, aggressive effort helped Los Angeles hold off the Suns in the first half until Kobe Bryant(notes) scorched them for 21 points in the third quarter.
“It was good. We can do better,” Odom said. “Hopefully I can have another lucky game.”
“You have to earn luck,” Gasol chimed in.
With a little luck, the Lakers could be on a roll to their third straight NBA finals after a commanding performance in their seventh straight playoff win.
Stoudemire’s teammates aren’t counting on good fortune to help them recover from their one-sided loss. They remain confident their pick-and-roll offense will create easier baskets later in the series, and they also hope to stop the Lakers from hitting 58 percent of their shots, as Bryant and Co. did in their highest-scoring playoff game in more than two years.
“Some of the things we game-planned for, we actually did well,” said Nash, who had 13 points and 13 assists. “We just didn’t hit shots. We want to cut down on their transitions and create some easier stuff for ourselves, but some of the things they did, you’ve just got to tip your hat to.”
The Suns hadn’t lost since April 24, but their playoff streak skidded to a halt in their most one-sided loss since Jan. 16, featuring the most points they’ve allowed since March 26. Phoenix hasn’t lost back-to-back games since Jan. 25-26, when the Suns began their 28-7 finish to the regular season, pushing them into third place in the conference standings.
Bryant, who had the first 40-point game against the Suns all season, didn’t speak to reporters after taking it easy in another practice session. Yet for all the talk about Bryant’s accumulated injuries, the Suns realize he shows no signs of slowing down after five straight 30-point playoff games capped by his first 40-point postseason performance since last year’s NBA finals.
“The shots he made, we could run anybody at him—we could run Schwarzkopf at him,” Gentry said, referring to former Gulf War Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf. “It doesn’t matter. He’s going to make them. The shot he made at the end of the first quarter, that’s what I’m talking about. That’s why they pay him $30 million a year. I think he’s the best finisher that ever played.”
The defending NBA champions mostly seemed unimpressed by their opening victory, which kept them unbeaten in six home playoff games.
Coach Phil Jackson felt numerous flaws in Los Angeles’ defensive performance were covered up by the Suns’ poor shooting, while Derek Fisher(notes) worried about going through a seven-game series at Phoenix’s preferred pace.
“Sometimes we played a little bit too fast,” Fisher said. “Something we want to come back to in Game 2 is making sure Pau and Drew and Ron (Artest) and Kobe get their opportunities inside to test their D. That’s where we’re difficult for teams to guard.”
Jackson dismissed the notion of any distraction for his team in the small protest outside Game 1 over his unclear stance on Arizona’s new immigration law. The coach said he saw about 30 protesters outside Staples Center after the game, and they had a few choice words for him as he drove away.
“Luck is part of the game,” said Jackson, whose teams in Chicago and Los Angeles are 46-0 after winning the first game of a playoff series. “You make your own luck, that’s what sports people like to say.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010051913

Amare better bring his A-game. I hope his determination to prove he was right about Odom will not consume him and allow the Lakers to exploit it.
Another chance to steal home-court.

GO SUNS!!!!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I truly believe this game might decide the series. The Suns confidence has been riding high and is a big part of their success this second half. I guess if this is a close game, the Suns could still think they are right there. However, if it's another blow out? It shakes the Suns, we split at home and the Lakers finish this in 5.

The Suns need to punch back tonight. Go Suns!!!!

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
BTW Channing Frye should be happy if he is put in the game again, that guy sucked phatty game one.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW Channing Frye should be happy if he is put in the game again, that guy sucked phatty game one.

The Lakers are a bad matchup for Channing. They close out very well on the 3 point shot and they are too strong and physical for him down low. He'll help us a lot more against Boston (hopefully that will be this year).

Steve

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers are a bad matchup for Channing. They close out very well on the 3 point shot and they are too strong and physical for him down low. He'll help us a lot more against Boston (hopefully that will be this year).

Steve

Maybe so, but i think it is Channing sucking on the road as usual. watch him light it up in USAC

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the Refs will allow the Suns to play some defense tonight. Amare needs to back up his mouth and get some boards and keep Odum off of them! We need to shoot better and hopefully its a fairly officiated game and we can win. The Lakers played about as well as they have all of the playoffs and I seriously doubt Kobe will go for 40 every game and Odum for 19 & 19. We need to just step up and play our game and not look so timid as we did in game one. Maybe when the refs see Kobe falling and traveling they will actually call it properly instead of just rewarding the Lakeshow but it is in LA so I expect another poorly officiated game tonight! Maybe we can overcome one of the best teams in the league as well as the officials....guess we have to.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Maybe the Refs will allow the Suns to play some defense tonight. Amare needs to back up his mouth and get some boards and keep Odum off of them! We need to shoot better and hopefully its a fairly officiated game and we can win. The Lakers played about as well as they have all of the playoffs and I seriously doubt Kobe will go for 40 every game and Odum for 19 & 19. We need to just step up and play our game and not look so timid as we did in game one. Maybe when the refs see Kobe falling and traveling they will actually call it properly instead of just rewarding the Lakeshow but it is in LA so I expect another poorly officiated game tonight! Maybe we can overcome one of the best teams in the league as well as the officials....guess we have to.

They wont so the solution to this is if you know you are going to get called for a foul, might as well make the most of it. I'm not advocating intentional injuries but rather send a message that if you want to come into the paint, you'll pay.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't see us coming back from 0-2 against the Lakers, so if we want to stay in this series game 2 becomes a must-win. It would be great if we could finally put together a complete game, playing well on both ends for 48 minutes. That hasn't happened in a while.

Amare needs to come out and dominate on both ends, or at least to have a lucky game. Steve needs to look to score more. JRich needs to get more shots. The bench has to do their thing, though it would help if they weren't down by 10 every time they enter the game. Channing needs to rebound and be more selective with his shots. Hitting a few threes wouldn't hurt either. Same goes for Dudley. Hill needs to avoid picking up phantom fouls. I don't know how. Lopez needs to avoid having a second-game-back letdown. We need to contain Odom and keep Kobe from having 20 point quarters.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't see us coming back from 0-2 against the Lakers, so if we want to stay in this series game 2 becomes a must-win. It would be great if we could finally put together a complete game, playing well on both ends for 48 minutes. That hasn't happened in a while.

Amare needs to come out and dominate on both ends, or at least to have a lucky game. Steve needs to look to score more. JRich needs to get more shots. The bench has to do their thing, though it would help if they weren't down by 10 every time they enter the game. Channing needs to rebound and be more selective with his shots. Hitting a few threes wouldn't hurt either. Same goes for Dudley. Hill needs to avoid picking up phantom fouls. I don't know how. Lopez needs to avoid having a second-game-back letdown. We need to contain Odom and keep Kobe from having 20 point quarters.

Already, Phil is 46-0 when he wins game 1 so at first glance, this comeback seems impossible although it really isn't. If we go down 0-2, there is no hope IMO. That would mean the Lakers have forced their will upon us and have the distinct psychological edge that Phil has been trying to gain prior to the series.

From what you are describing, we have to overhaul our entire game. IMO, you contain their bigs, force our offense down their throats and force Kobe to shoot 20 or more FGs.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
More Lopez! He was doing a good job on Gasol. Hill did a nice job on Kobe. If the refs actually let him play, the Suns have a chance.

Anyone else thing that Clark could shut Odom's weak ass down?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More Lopez! He was doing a good job on Gasol. Hill did a nice job on Kobe. If the refs actually let him play, the Suns have a chance.

Anyone else thing that Clark could shut Odom's weak ass down?

That would be interesting but I trust Gentry. If Clark is not playing it's because he is not ready.

Also, Lopez is a catch 22. One one hand every analyst on the planet says the Suns have to shoot 3's. However, Frye clearly spreads the defense out much better when he is in there vs. Lopez. Also, I noticed in Monday's game that whoever is on Lopez sinks down on Amare when he had the ball in his hands.

I just don't see how we are going to have it both ways. If the Suns go down 0-2 with Lopez starting.....I want to see the old lineup that got us here the last month and move Lopez to the bench.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bring JRich off the bench where they have nobody that can guard him.
Start Dragic next to Nash & put the Dragon on Kobe,put Hill on Artest(at least until PJ is forced to bring Artest off the bench to cover JRich).

The lakers have us right where they want us,and the matchups are favorable everywhere except our bench guards vs their scrub guards.We need to change it up before its too late IMO.

I'll be listening to Al on 620 tonight because i'll be stuck at work. The SUNS playoff record on radio vs me watching is very favorable so there's that.
GO SUNS!!

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see us coming back from 0-2 against the Lakers

OKC came back and tied it 2-2. Suns can do the same. I do believe should the Suns lose tonight they cant afford a blowout, so they have some confidence coming back home.

F**k Phil's 1-0 record, the Suns broke his 3-1 record and can do it again.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
Me too on the radio thing. Plus I love al as an announcer. Last time i listened on 620 goran dragic TORE it up against SA..

IMO, it aint over until one team wins 4 games so screw all those stats about losing game 1 to phil jackson.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
from Twitter:
Referees for Game 2 tonight: Joey Crawford, Mike Callahan, Ed Malloy. Oddly, all went to Philly's Cardinal O'Hara High, same as Tim Donaghy.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I think if Nash looks slow today, they should go to the Dragon and let him drive and take over ;)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well lets go suns we must win game 2, but atleast we are not orlando right now losing two at home in the playoffs ouch.... lol and carter is getting abused by fans right now. I also would love to see nash an dragic on the court at the same time it might confuse the lakers a little, also hoping amare can have a better rebounding game come on we need more then 3 rebounds. We win this game it's a brand new series we lose it will be almost impossible to come back and win. GO SUNS!!!!

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Honest question here, if we go small can MPLS match up with us or do they stay big and take advantage that way?