PJ Tucker arrested for "super extreme" DUI

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What a load of crap. He's sorry only that he got caught. Would he feel just as remorseful if he had gotten away with it? Of course not.

I got done DUI and I can tell you I have never been more remorseful into life. I really fcked up and I know it; no bad outcomes thank god but anything could have happened.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
things happen. People make mistakes. Did he break the law and is going to have to serve his punishment? Yes. Does he deserve to lose his job or have a lower contract? no. Let him do his duty and get on with his life.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Someone needs to ask Babby at this was covered up for months.

For example, Speights got a DUI today morning and it was reported....today.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I doubt most on this board are Boy Scouts including me. Weve all went to a sports bar or to a party and drank too much and made the mistake of driving home instead of calling a taxi. Same with PJ, only he got caught and is a celebrity. So they label him with a new "super duper" extreme DUI for shock value and to make an example out of him. He'll do his time and pay his fines and learn his lesson. Im sure the Suns arent overly concerned over this isolated incident and Im happy they signed him to the contract they offered. Most sports celebs are human and are prone to human mistakes just the same as the rest of us.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not saying what he did was right. It's obviously wrong. I had an extreme DUI about 11years ago. I regret it and have learned so much from it.

We can't control Tucker or anyone else for that matter. Seems like our FO is a bit loose with players. I mean we had freakin Beasley here for a while. Just seems like a witch hunt is going on in here.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt most on this board are Boy Scouts including me. Weve all went to a sports bar or to a party and drank too much and made the mistake of driving home instead of calling a taxi. Same with PJ, only he got caught and is a celebrity. So they label him with a new "super duper" extreme DUI for shock value and to make an example out of him. He'll do his time and pay his fines and learn his lesson. Im sure the Suns arent overly concerned over this isolated incident and Im happy they signed him to the contract they offered. Most sports celebs are human and are prone to human mistakes just the same as the rest of us.

Please speak for yourself. I have never drank and drove in my life and I'm sure there are others on this board who are the same way.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Please speak for yourself. I have never drank and drove in my life and I'm sure there are others on this board who are the same way.

Congrats! Good to know if we ever need a designated driver or need to build a camp fire.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Never had a beer in my life, so count me out on this line of thinking as well.

Drinking and driving is not a "mistake." It is a conscious choice to go out and drink without having transportation lined up. It is premeditated endangerment - to others on the road as well as yourself.

I am glad PJ Tucker was stopped and no one was hurt. I hope he gets some help and never drinks without having a ride lined up in advance.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Good to know if we ever need a designated driver or need to build a camp fire.

Nice insult. So you think only Boy Scouts choose not to recklessly endanger the lives of others?

I really don't want to sit in judgement of PJ or anyone for that matter but until we all wise up and say no more - people will still be slaughtered by the likes of us that think drunk driving is nothing more than a mistake. There needs to be zero tolerance voluntarily driving while impaired - regardless of whether it's from alcohol, drugs, 19 hours behind the wheel, texting, talking on a cell phone, eating a double cheeseburger, putting on your makeup etc. We need to reach the point where people stop excusing the act.

Steve

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nice insult. So you think only Boy Scouts choose not to recklessly endanger the lives of others?

I really don't want to sit in judgement of PJ or anyone for that matter but until we all wise up and say no more - people will still be slaughtered by the likes of us that think drunk driving is nothing more than a mistake. There needs to be zero tolerance voluntarily driving while impaired - regardless of whether it's from alcohol, drugs, 19 hours behind the wheel, texting, talking on a cell phone, eating a double cheeseburger, putting on your makeup etc. We need to reach the point where people stop excusing the act.

Steve

Slightly tangential and probably one for the Politics board but I'd prefer the US to ban guns i.e. have zero tolerance just like Australia where I'm from where we haven't had a gun death since they got outlawed. Talk about a successful policy.

Factoid - gun deaths are on track to exceed traffic fatalities in the US in the next few years...you have no idea how twisted that sounds to us non-Americans.

Let's definitely not debate this though because I'm never going to convince the unconvincable!

SwingMan

Rookie
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hell's Outhouse - a.k.a. Buckeye, Arizona
Every time something like this is reported, it's only a matter of time (seconds, in most cases) before the mad scramble to claim moral superiority takes place. Please don't stop - it's entertaining, if nothing else.

As an aside, I have no idea what it's like in Australia, but here in the United States, criminals generally don't follow laws. ;)

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had a beer in my life, so count me out on this line of thinking as well.

Drinking and driving is not a "mistake." It is a conscious choice to go out and drink without having transportation lined up. It is premeditated endangerment - to others on the road as well as yourself.

I am glad PJ Tucker was stopped and no one was hurt. I hope he gets some help and never drinks without having a ride lined up in advance.

Not unless you can prove that he meant to drink at his destination and drink excessively too. You cannot group it with a sane/sober parent who left their baby in a car at the height of AZ summer.
Who is to say he decided to hangout with his friends at last minute and then only decided to drink at location with the intention of calling a cab or have another buddy drop him off. Of course after getting s***faced he was unable to make logical decisions about not driving when drunk. These are hypothesis, i don't know his situation, but it is not impossible.

Last edited:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Every time something like this is reported, it's only a matter of time (seconds, in most cases) before the mad scramble to claim moral superiority takes place. Please don't stop - it's entertaining, if nothing else.

As an aside, I have no idea what it's like in Australia, but here in the United States, criminals generally don't follow laws. ;)

It's not moral superiority I'm chasing, it's a peaceful world to live in ;-)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There are lots of moral gray areas, but putting other people's lives at risk simply through your own ego or recklessness really isn't one of them. Those of you saying that what Tucker did is no big deal really need to take a long, hard look at your own values.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Lawbreakers should receive more than a slap on the wrist for putting other lives at risk.

That is not moral superiority. It is common sense.

Drinking without providing substitute transportation is as irresponsible as yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre. Responsible adults know where to draw the line.

The arrogance of power or money (especially easy money -- sports' instant millionaires) is not an excuse to cross the line.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. As the old saying goes, I don't think you'd find it entertaining if someone important to you was killed by a drunk driver.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to sports on FOX 10 Arizona. Tucker will spend a reported 2 days in a private prison in California. I understand he will be separated from other prisoners. Obviously Sheriff Joe Arpaio is peeved.

Also mentioned this is not all that unusual.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I just don't understand people justifying this. Maybe I am just weird and have certain rules, but to me, not drinking when I have to drive, or when I am carrying, etc is just common sense. I know I will be consuming a substance that clouds my judgement so I am simply going to find a designated driver, call a cab, not carry, etc. If I am not planning on drinking because I drove, I will enjoy some non-alcoholic beverages for the evening. Again, maybe I am bizarre, but to me this is such a basic, common-sense principle.

How anyone can justify this is beyond me. If he was barely over the limit, I'd understand how someone can defend it(though I'd still disagree), but almost three times the legal limit is just crazy and BEYOND irresponsible.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score

Steve

Not an insult, just trying to keep it light on here. Its getting kind of preachy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand people justifying this. Maybe I am just weird and have certain rules, but to me, not drinking when I have to drive, or when I am carrying, etc is just common sense. I know I will be consuming a substance that clouds my judgement so I am simply going to find a designated driver, call a cab, not carry, etc. If I am not planning on drinking because I drove, I will enjoy some non-alcoholic beverages for the evening. Again, maybe I am bizarre, but to me this is such a basic, common-sense principle.

How anyone can justify this is beyond me. If he was barely over the limit, I'd understand how someone can defend it(though I'd still disagree), but almost three times the legal limit is just crazy and BEYOND irresponsible.

First let me say, I do not condone drinking and driving. However, are you saying a 200 pound man cannot have a beer with his mexican food at a restaurant? I mentioned it before but I do not recall receiving a specific answer. If so there are a lot of drunk drivers out there.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
First let me say, I do not condone drinking and driving. However, are you saying a 200 pound man cannot have a beer with his mexican food at a restaurant? I mentioned it before but I do not recall receiving a specific answer. If so there are a lot of drunk drivers out there.

I am not saying he can't, just that to me, it's common sense not to. Why drink at all if you have to drive? It's easier to just not drink than to figure out how many beers you can drink? I am saying, however, that nobody should have half a bottle of vodka or whatever Tucker was drinking to get that drunk.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Factoid - gun deaths are on track to exceed traffic fatalities in the US in the next few years...you have no idea how twisted that sounds to us non-Americans.

Non-Americans? What's that have to do with it? Frankly, I'm offended. I've never owned a gun in my life or been around them. I'm unaware of that fact and I'm sickened by the thought of it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not saying he can't, just that to me, it's common sense not to. Why drink at all if you have to drive? It's easier to just not drink than to figure out how many beers you can drink? I am saying, however, that nobody should have half a bottle of vodka or whatever Tucker was drinking to get that drunk.

I agree no one should drive impaired.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I've answered it twice already. Do a search on my posts in this thread.

(Edit: I forgot that most of them were hacked into oblivion. I won't re-create them, but I'll try to find the charts again later this evening.)

If a 200-pound man has one drink, he is well below the legal line. He's still probably minimally impaired, but within what our society tolerates. There are very few perfect drivers out there. Many are just plain stupid, but we don't have an intelligence test to get a license. Or, as a more benign example, it's well documented that people become worse drivers as they age, but we've decided that we'd rather let people in their 70s keep their "freedom" than hold them to standards that would be appropriate for someone half a century younger.

Did you look at the charts I posted? Tucker didn't have one beer, or two, or four, or six. He needed to have at least ten drinks to get to that BAC, and that would be if he binged them all in a few minutes! I don't understand why you won't acknowledge that Tucker was miles beyond any gray area, or anything that's in the realm of what anyone could possibly consider "not so bad."

There's no counter-side to Tucker's case. Really, just drop it. If you don't know the difference between one drink and a dozen, do some reading.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Here's a chart that sums things up:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/ajk5065/blogs/uhs418/Untitled1.png

Tucker's BAC was measured at 0.22. His listed playing weight is 224 lb. So look at the column for 220. A BAC that high most likely points to more than 10 drinks. If an interval of time of more than an hour elapsed before he was tested, and he was still that high, then he must have drunk even more.

Now look at the blue/yellow/red boxes on the left. Read the description for .16-.19. "Nausea, memory loss, could pass out." Tucker was in a worse category than that! Read .20-.24, the range he was in. "Disorientation, need help to stand/walk, vomiting likely."

Now, ask yourselves again: Is getting behind the wheel in that condition really just a "mistake"?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard