PJ Tucker arrested for "super extreme" DUI

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I imagine he will get the Charles Barkley suite in Tent City, a little section fenced off from the general population. He probably won't make it indoors because he can't sing country songs, and Joe aint no NBA fan that's for sure. But all and all it's just another stupid move by yet another millionaire athlete. Mandatory classes, yada yada, reduced sentence, community service, badabing bada boom, work release 12 hours a day and your on your way.

The Suns must really like his play, or they are just plain desperate, that alcohol level represents a habitual binge type of drinker, meaning he doesn't have to have a drink everyday but when it goes down it really goes down. These types of drinkers/alcoholics lose all regular decision making skills, mass quantities of boose goes down in a short time. They usually don't consider themselves alcoholics, because they always have something to celebrate every weekend or when ever. I go long spurts without drinking, but it's usually bottoms up when I get started. I binge, but I don't dare drive.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My guess is he would have gone elsewhere.
Then we could have leaked out the fact that he was driving around s**tfaced.
How could they possibly be "absolutely sure" of such a thing?

My bad I should have said "if he assures them that it absurdly won't happen again" and perhaps have a clause in his contract to void it if it does or paycut or something like that.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If the Suns want to come out looking a little better they should suspend him themselves - on top of the possible league suspension. A real suspension. At least 8 games. (Nearly 10% of the season.)

I'm sure, though, that there's some vague reason why they wouldn't be able to.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I have to say I am sort of shocked by the Suns being aware but still signing him. I doubt that would have happened under JC watch but this is a new day. I have seen several discussions were Suns fans have said the team needed to be "less boy scout".

The question to fans here is which is the better move? Should we have signed the dude or moved on?

Moved on. And I like what Tucker brings as a player. But this guy is supposed to be one of your "leaders." Having such a complete disregard of other lives - as well as your own - really clouds whatever leadership abilities he has.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine he will get the Charles Barkley suite in Tent City, a little section fenced off from the general population. He probably won't make it indoors because he can't sing country songs, and Joe aint no NBA fan that's for sure. But all and all it's just another stupid move by yet another millionaire athlete. Mandatory classes, yada yada, reduced sentence, community service, badabing bada boom, work release 12 hours a day and your on your way.

The Suns must really like his play, or they are just plain desperate, that alcohol level represents a habitual binge type of drinker, meaning he doesn't have to have a drink everyday but when it goes down it really goes down. These types of drinkers/alcoholics lose all regular decision making skills, mass quantities of boose goes down in a short time. They usually don't consider themselves alcoholics, because they always have something to celebrate every weekend or when ever. I go long spurts without drinking, but it's usually bottoms up when I get started. I binge, but I don't dare drive.

This sounds a lot like me.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like me.

I don't know if it started in High School for me (because I had to keep my grades up to make it to such desirable parties), or if it's something I learned more while traveling dirty hippie style. But I have kept it, and the days after "the binge" is when I seem to really excel... sometimes. :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention he was also placed on five years probation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PJ Tucker receives 3 days jail time, 11 days Home Detention and more in regard to guilty plea for DUI.

I still cannot understand why the Suns offered him such a large contract in light of the charge. If they wanted to keep him he should have been available for much less.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2014/08/04/pj-tucker-apology-for-dui/13604791/

Putting everything else aside, it's not such a large contract. Even in his first year with this deal, at least 110 players will be paid more than he is. His contract declines a little each year and he's going to be very low on the salary totem pole when his contract is up.

I can't imagine we could have signed him for even less. Maybe we shouldn't have signed him at all but I have no problem with the money.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting everything else aside, it's not such a large contract. Even in his first year with this deal, at least 110 players will be paid more than he is. His contract declines a little each year and he's going to be very low on the salary totem pole when his contract is up.

I can't imagine we could have signed him for even less. Maybe we shouldn't have signed him at all but I have no problem with the money.

Steve

I can understand giving someone a second chance but I think the contract is too rich considering the situation. Tucker could have gone to jail for 45 days.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand giving someone a second chance but I think the contract is too rich considering the situation. Tucker could have gone to jail for 45 days.

You either want him or you don't want him. If you want him, lowballing him for this crime would likely have sent him elsewhere. I'd have let him go elsewhere because of his DUI but we have a noticeable leadership void and I suspect that concerned management. It would have been tough to lose both clubhouse leaders from the previous season

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You either want him or you don't want him. If you want him, lowballing him for this crime would likely have sent him elsewhere. I'd have let him go elsewhere because of his DUI but we have a noticeable leadership void and I suspect that concerned management. It would have been tough to lose both clubhouse leaders from the previous season

Steve

The new contract for Tucker was fair until the DUI charge came along. However, (IMO) the DUI lessened his market value as well as his value as a leader. I can live with the Suns giving Tucker a chance, but not at the guaranteed money they offered... since they knew of the charge prior to signing. The Suns should have given themselves more protection than a partial out in the third year.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Tucker got off extremely easy because he's rich and cause he's an NBA player.

Just 3 days in jail for driving around "super extreme" drunk? What a joke the legal system is.

I'm 99.9% sure that if I did the same thing Tucker did, I'd be locked up for a lot longer than the 3 days that idiot gets.

Your tax dollars at work ladies and gentlemen.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Statement from Lon Babby, as reported by http://arizonasports.com/41/1755960/Phoenix-Suns-Babby-releases-statement-on-PJ-Tuckers-DUI-arrest

"Like P.J. himself, the Phoenix Suns take P.J.'s behavior very seriously. We remain fully committed to the highest standards of personal and professional conduct as we develop a championship culture," the statement said. "All of the members of our team, both on the court and in the front office, understand the importance of obeying the law and conducting ourselves in a way that honors our community.

"In considering this matter, we concluded that P.J. was sincere in his remorse and in his resolve to accept the consequences of his actions. We are convinced that he will take the necessary steps to avoid any such conduct in the future. The Suns do not in any way condone his conduct, but we do support him as he works through this."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Just 3 days in jail for driving around "super extreme" drunk? What a joke the legal system is.

I'm 99.9% sure that if I did the same thing Tucker did, I'd be locked up for a lot longer than the 3 days that idiot gets.

Methinks you don't know much about the American legal system.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a buddy that was arrested for super extreme DUI earlier this year - he ended up with basically the same punishment - 3 Days in Tent City, etc.

And he is by no means rich, or powerful - just a regular 9-5 guy.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Methinks you don't know much about the American legal system.

When it comes to DUI's - it sucks, regardless of whether you are an average Joe or an athlete or celebrity. They all basically get a slap on the wrist.

It is no wonder there are so many repeat offenders.

There should be harsher consequences for drinking and driving.

Hopefully one day it will be taken more seriously.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
"In considering this matter, we concluded that P.J. was sincere in his remorse and in his resolve to accept the consequences of his actions."

What a load of crap. He's sorry only that he got caught. Would he feel just as remorseful if he had gotten away with it? Of course not.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a load of crap. He's sorry only that he got caught. Would he feel just as remorseful if he had gotten away with it? Of course not.

I thought his agent wrote a nice apology letter and he sounded sincere to me.

Steve