Phoenix Suns have begun search for new general manager

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jones is a face and has rep around the league. You’d think he’d be the POBO and an experienced GM would be brought in for scouting/roster construction etc. The difference in power between titles would be up to Sarver.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
What a coincidence with Woj’s article coming out.

Need to put something else out there to talk about other than WOJ piece.

Did they just start the search?

If so, is there a good reason to wait 4-5 months to start looking?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Need to put something else out there to talk about other than WOJ piece.

Did they just start the search?

If so, is there a good reason to wait 4-5 months to start looking?
Its about when people might be available. I assume James Jones will stay with the Suns.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its about when people might be available. I assume James Jones will stay with the Suns.

I'm okay with that (simply from a player relations angle)...as long as he is not in charge.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Jones is a face and has rep around the league. You’d think he’d be the POBO and an experienced GM would be brought in for scouting/roster construction etc. The difference in power between titles would be up to Sarver.
I lost confidence in the post with the last five words.

We are where we are because it was up to Sarver.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I lost confidence in the post with the last five words.

We are where we are because it was up to Sarver.
Look, we get it, you don't like Sarver. None of us do. But at some point you have to simply deal with it and try to move on--if lightning strikes with a new GM, fine. But if it doesn't and it's same old, same old, we'll let you off the hook and you don't have to continue posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Look, we get it, you don't like Sarver. None of us do. But at some point you have to simply deal with it and try to move on--if lightning strikes with a new GM, fine. But if it doesn't and it's same old, same old, we'll let you off the hook and you don't have to continue posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
Except we are now reading that there may be pressure for Sarver to bring someone in to run the team.

That is not the same-old same-old.

And I am hardly the only one responding to posts about the mess into which Sarver has gotten the team.

There is a glimmer of hope on the horizon. Especially if it is true that public relations people on the Suns and/or NBA monitor message boards like ASFN.

-------------------------------------------------------

And let me get something else off my chest. Ever since Sarver threatened to move the Suns to Las Vegas or Seattle, something dawned on me.

I respect posters in California, Pennsylvania, Europe still following the Suns. But if the Suns leave the Valley, it would make no difference to you.

But it would make a helluva difference to Suns fans in Arizona. I don't think you have the right to tell me to not respond to posts about Sarver.

I am hoping for more than a lightning strike (as you put it) to change the direction of our team. I hope you understand my point of view.

I am also a big fan of their WNBA team, the Phoenix Mercury, who have won three League championships. Mainly because Sarver has kept his hands off.

If the Suns move, so do the Mercury. The team of Ann Myers-Drysdale and Sandy Brondello and Diana Taurasi and Brittany Griner and DeWanna Bonner.

I don't want to see a loose cannon like Sarver continue to make that an issue either. It is time to put more pressure on him than ever before. Any way we can.

Hopefully it will come to a head.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except we are now reading that there may be pressure for Sarver to bring someone in to run the team.

And I am hardly the only one responding to posts about the mess into which Sarver has gotten the team.

There is a glimmer of hope on the horizon. Especially if it is true that public relations people on the Suns and/or NBA monitor message boards like ASFN.

And let me get something else off my chest. Ever since Sarver threatened to move the Suns to Las Vegas or Seattle, something dawned on me.

I respect posters in California, Pennsylvania, Europe still following the Suns. But if the Suns leave the Valley, it would make no difference to you.

But it would make a helluva difference to Suns fans in Arizona. I don't think you have the right to tell me to not respond to posts about Sarver.

I am hoping for more than a lightning strike (as you put it) to change the direction of our team. I hope you understand my point of view.

I am also a big fan of their WNBA team, the Phoenix Mercury, who have won three League championships. Mainly because Sarver has kept his hands off.

If the Suns move, so do the Mercury. The team of Ann Myers-Drysdale and Sandy Brondello and Diana Taurasi and Brittany Griner and DeWanna Bonner.

I don't want to see a loose cannon like Sarver continue to make that an issue either. It is time to put more pressure on him than ever before. Any way we can.

Who is putting pressure on Sarver? That's something you choose to believe based on no solid information or report that says that is the case. Some people live in this fantasy land where the league office will step in and save the Suns from Sarver but there is absolutely NO PRECEDENCE for that. It won't happen, so quit waiting for it. It's like you're a kid waiting on Santa Clause to deliver a bunch of a presents on Christmas morning even though your parents were laid off and didn't tell you that there is no Santa and there won't be a Christmas.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Um I hope you don’t think you’re more emotionally attached to the suns than those of us that live outta state. They move from Phoenix I’m done with them. Just because I live in CA now doesn’t mean I have always.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, you've gone here before and I didn't agree with you then either. I left the Valley for Southern California in the mid-80's. If I wanted to change teams, the Lakers would have been an easy switch. But I didn't. I still consider myself an Arizonan despite the fact I've lived here almost 35 years. If the Suns move to San Diego they will be much closer to my home but they won't be my team anymore. Same with the DBacks. We don't all follow the same pattern when it comes to team loyalty.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um I hope you don’t think you’re more emotionally attached to the suns than those of us that live outta state. They move from Phoenix I’m done with them. Just because I live in CA now doesn’t mean I have always.

He's said as much before. It's like because he voluntarily moved to Phoenix 40 some odd years ago that he is more of a fan than others who were either born here or don't live here currently because he made a choice to be a fan.

I don't think there are levels to fandom, we're dedicated in our own ways. Unfortunately I think if we're not season ticket holders that Sarver could care less about how any of us feel about the team because we're not directly putting money in his pockets. Even if there are some season ticket holders here Sarver only feels they deserve to be lied to rather than disregarded so I wouldn't say he views them that much better than the rest of us. I thought it was quite telling how Sarver mocked that fan for only having $100 when there was that video from earlier in the season when a fan told him to sell the team and he asked for an offer from him. The fan said he had $100 bucks and Sarver said he felt bad for him if that's all he had. I can't find the video now, I know the Suns seemed to try to get it scrubbed from the internet because they had it deleted from Twitter in the initial post.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Insulting that he would say that, when point of fact, us out-of-staters are probably more irrationally obsessed with the team. Think about it--a lot of us live in a city with 2 NBA teams already and yet we still are Suns fans! I'd say that makes us have pretty good fan cred.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Insulting that he would say that, when point of fact, us out-of-staters are probably more irrationally obsessed with the team. Think about it--a lot of us live in a city with 2 NBA teams already and yet we still are Suns fans! I'd say that makes us have pretty good fan cred.
if you're a suns fan anywhere in the world right now, phoenix or otherwise, you've earned your stripes. period.

BC is on the right track, though. regardless of what the team "plans on doing" it's screwed with sarver at the helm. no self respecting person will come in here knowing that he will be undermined by sarver every step of the way. period. he has a terrible rep around the league at this point, and Woj's reports don't help that. by catching lighting in a bottle, we will need some unknown commodity to come in here and be the next great front office member, and sarver recognize that enough to let him have full reign. that ain't happening.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
if you're a suns fan anywhere in the world right now, phoenix or otherwise, you've earned your stripes. period.

BC is on the right track, though. regardless of what the team "plans on doing" it's screwed with sarver at the helm. no self respecting person will come in here knowing that he will be undermined by sarver every step of the way. period. he has a terrible rep around the league at this point, and Woj's reports don't help that. by catching lighting in a bottle, we will need some unknown commodity to come in here and be the next great front office member, and sarver recognize that enough to let him have full reign. that ain't happening.

I think Sarver can luck into a few winning seasons. He's really not much worse than the Cleveland owner and those guys somehow won a championship.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Please help me understand why you'd be done with the Suns if they move to Las Vegas. Your proximity would be about the same.
As you said, you're emotionally attached to the Suns.

Whereas those of us in the Valley would lose our home team Suns and Mercury. And the ability to attend games.

I realize that my resentment is jaded by the disreputable owner of the Suns who threatened to move them.

Especially as long as Sarver continues destroying our team, my loyalty is to my home city, not to him.

And if he moved them and we got an expansion/transferred team, I'd be supporting them in a heartbeat

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please help me understand why you'd be done with the Suns if they move to Las Vegas. Your proximity would be about the same.

Whereas those of us in the Valley would lose our home team Suns and Mercury. And the ability to attend games.

I realize that my resentment is jaded by the disreputable owner of the Suns who threatened to move them.

Especially as long as Sarver continues destroying our team, my loyalty is to my home city, not to him.

And if he moved them and we got an expansion/transferred team, I'd be supporting them in a heartbeat

Because they wouldn't be the Phoenix Suns... I don't see why that is hard to understand.

I am a born and bred Phoenician, I still live in Phoenix, all my favorite teams are local, I could move to Abu Dabi and if the Suns moved to Las Vegas they'd be dead to me.

A good friend of mine was a Sonics fan when we were growing up, not only is he NOT an OKC fan but he wishes them nothing but misery and pain.

If the Suns left Phoenix not only would they be dead to me but probably the NBA in general.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Because they wouldn't be the Phoenix Suns... I don't see why that is hard to understand.

I am a born and bred Phoenician, I still live in Phoenix, all my favorite teams are local, I could move to Abu Dabi and if the Suns moved to Las Vegas they'd be dead to me.

A good friend of mine was a Sonics fan when we were growing up, not only is he NOT an OKC fan but he wishes them nothing but misery and pain.

If the Suns left Phoenix not only would they be dead to me but probably the NBA in general.
Which is my point. You and I are local fans and would not continue to root for the Suns if Sarver moved them.

My question was to Ouchie whose home is listed as SoCal. His proximity is no closer to Phoenix than Las Vegas. So I asked why he would stop rooting for them if they moved.

I guess the warm spot is for Phoenix. I get it!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which is my point. You and I are local fans and would not continue to root for the Suns if Sarver moved them.

My question was to Ouchie whose home is listed as SoCal. His proximity is no closer to Phoenix than Las Vegas. So I asked why he would stop rooting for them if they moved.

How hard is it to understand that when you become a fan of a team that even if you relocate yourself you are still a fan of the team? Fandom doesn't die because you move. Being a fan of a team only changes when that team does the same. You don't need to be local to support a team. How many games do you attend a year? If the answer is zero then why is it really that much different for you to root for the Suns from the same city they play in vs rooting from them from a few hundred miles away?

Why does this even need to be debated though, why do you think there are certain levels to fandom and that you are more of a fan because you are in the same city that the team is? Quit trying to hold yourself above others, whether it's intentional or not, that is what you are doing.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ouchie isn't from So Cal, he merely lives there now.

My friend growing up had no association with Seattle other than that he liked the Sonics... he despises the Thunder because they killed his favorite franchise.

There MIGHT be a few people who would follow the Suns to a new destination but I suspect 99% of Suns fans are PHOENIX Suns fans and if the Suns moved they'd lose their identity.

If you asked people who rooted for a widely popular team like the Brooklyn Dodgers 60 years if they became fans of the LA Dodgers they'd probably say the Dodgers can rot in hell.

If the Suns moved they wouldn't be the Phoenix Suns... they'd be the San Diego Conquistadors or the Seattle Depressing Overcast. The Phoenix Suns would be dead and I'd be stunned if virtually anyone who considered themselves a Suns fan, regardless of zip code, would view the rebranded team with anything but disdain.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Just because you chose to disconnect from the home you grew up in doesn’t mean the rest of us do so as well. My loyalties are to ARIZONA sports. One of them leaves they lose my fandom. You don’t have the power to change that. And it’s insulting, as chap indicates, for you to think you do.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BC’s levels of fandom again? BC, you itemize your time in AZ so often that I assume you wish you grew up there. But you’re never going to convince someone who did that they’re less of a Suns fan than you. Meanwhile the rest of us are happy when transplants adopt the local teams.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, you've gone here before and I didn't agree with you then either. I left the Valley for Southern California in the mid-80's. If I wanted to change teams, the Lakers would have been an easy switch. But I didn't. I still consider myself an Arizonan despite the fact I've lived here almost 35 years. If the Suns move to San Diego they will be much closer to my home but they won't be my team anymore. Same with the DBacks. We don't all follow the same pattern when it comes to team loyalty.
Yep, same here Steve. BC is talking out of his ass once again. Unlike BC, I am an Arizona native. I was born in Arizona and lived all my formative years in Arizona. I live and die everything Phoenix Suns. If the Suns ever left the Valley, I would be done with them and Mr. Robert Sarver would be dead to me. A fair weather fan, I am not.