Phoenix Suns announcer Tom Chambers arrested for DUI

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In fact, it's completely possible that he hasn't had the issue and this time he drank too much but was so unfamiliar with the feeling that he didn't realize he was too drunk to drive.

While I agree that that could be true, it would be hard not to recognize that you have open bottles in your car. That isn't a judgment or awareness call.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Seems like an odd thing to nitpick.
I wouldn't have posted about TC's recent appearance -- scruffy -- if it were not followed by this negative behavior.

I should hope there is some obligation to earning millions of dollars to not muddy his limelight. This isn't about just drinking and driving, this is about drinking while driving. That is blatant and arrogant. Especially his comment about what he's done for the cops, as though his celebrity puts him at a different standard of safety.

As BIM reported, "The report said that Chambers was belligerent and refused a field sobriety test." I expect Mark Grace to act like a child. He has shown that personality since he became a color commentator. I didn't expect it from Tom Chambers.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a strange thing to say. I got caught a couple weeks ago talking on my cell phone and got a ticket. But I usually do not do that, I just happened to do it that one day because it was literally right after I left the garage of my work building.

What he did was stupid and disappointing, but to say that getting caught means it's been happening for a long time is far-fetched. In fact, it's completely possible that he hasn't had the issue and this time he drank too much but was so unfamiliar with the feeling that he didn't realize he was too drunk to drive.

this is one of the most naive things I've ever seen on the internet. that's not meant to start a fight (although I'm sure it will) but the idea that an NBA player, who lives the high life has drank too much and was so unfamiliar with the feeling to realize he was too drunk too drive is ludicrous. really, really ludicrous.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
this is one of the most naive things I've ever seen on the internet. that's not meant to start a fight (although I'm sure it will) but the idea that an NBA player, who lives the high life has drank too much and was so unfamiliar with the feeling to realize he was too drunk too drive is ludicrous. really, really ludicrous.

What in Tom Chamber's history has said that he is a habitual drunk driver? You certainly don't have that answer, and neither do I. It's certainly possible he has a problem, but 95Pro said that simply because he was arrested this one time he has had the problem for a long time. I simply refuted that statement, that's all.

If you think TC is a lush, that's your (or the original poster's) prerogative. I just don't think there is anything that supports that.

Here's a question--have you ever driven drunk, or at least tipsy enough that you thought that maybe you were too drunk to drive? Probably. Then again, how many times have you driven buzzed without thinking that you shouldn't be driving? Probably a few times as well.

I'm not going to fight about this. It isn't worth it. I might have expressed my opinion in a confusing way, but the crux of the position is still valid, IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
While I agree that that could be true, it would be hard not to recognize that you have open bottles in your car. That isn't a judgment or awareness call.

True, can't refute that. Again, I have been refuting the idea that he's had this problem a long time as proven by being arrested, that's all. I didn't express myself well though. Apologies to everyone.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think any idea that he drank too much and simply didnt realize it goes out the window when you factor in that he was apparently STILL DRINKING while cruising down the road. A couple open bottles in the car, hard to rationalize how that happens.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chambers screwed up & once the results of the blood tests come back then he'll have to pay for it. Luckily no one was hurt.

As far as his millions of dollars... it's all gone. Bad investments, divorce, bankruptcy... the guys life is unfortunately a mess and he's surviving on his pre-game, halftime & post-game analysis job with the Suns. It still obviously doesn't excuse what he did.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Here's a question--have you ever driven drunk, or at least tipsy enough that you thought that maybe you were too drunk to drive? Probably.

This argument comes up every time and it always amazes me. To me, it's equivalent to asking, "Have you ever pointed a gun at someone's head and pulled the trigger without really knowing whether it was loaded?" Getting behind the wheel when you know you're impaired is in the same category. I just can't understand why people regard it so casually.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This argument comes up every time and it always amazes me. To me, it's equivalent to asking, "Have you ever pointed a gun at someone's head and pulled the trigger without really knowing whether it was loaded?" Getting behind the wheel when you know you're impaired is in the same category. I just can't understand why people regard it so casually.

This is why it is still a problem.

People die every day. A very good friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver. He was sitting at a stop light, on a very nearly empty street, alone, on a Sunday morning, on his way to church.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
As BIM reported, "The report said that Chambers was belligerent and refused a field sobriety test." I expect Mark Grace to act like a child. He has shown that personality since he became a color commentator. I didn't expect it from Tom Chambers.

I was at an event at the W Pool with Tom Chambers. He was hammered and I took a couple tequila shots with him. We started laughing about old suns and he pulled out his phone, and you tubbed his big elevator dunk…pathetic…the funny thing is he reminded me of Mark Grace who i had seen piss drunk leaving kona at fashion square bombed with some flousey….these guy get wrecked and pray on the young ladies of scottsdale. Get a driver, I mean for pete's sake…what idiot would drive home from the ASU Stanford game during the holidays?? I mean if you can't figure that there is gonna be HUUUUGE DUI task forces out, you deserve to be caught….you can't drive drunk in arizona anywhere…especially if you are an old ball player looking to stay employed by their former team..:bang:

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score

Does the same go for those that get behind the wheel and text while they drive?

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/fi...us-than-Driving-while-Drunk.html#.Uqv03Hi9K0c

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Not too impressed with the half-assed apology Chambers read to open the pre-game show last night. Sounded like something his lawyer wrote for him, but the delivery was awful. Didn't sound very sincere to me and he even joked while reading it, until the end when he tried to cry. He should have rehearsed that a few more times.

sundevil04

Reaction score
Absolutely. Just because one is more common than the other, does not excuse it.

Agreed. Now call your local sheriff and tell him that. The punishment for a DUI with a BAC of .08, which for an average sized male is 3 light beers, is mandatory jail time, a suspended license followed by a year with an interlock and tens of thousands of dollars in fines etc. Meanwhile the punishment for something that been show time and time again to be more dangerous, texting and driving....oh wait its legal in AZ.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not too impressed with the half-assed apology Chambers read to open the pre-game show last night. Sounded like something his lawyer wrote for him, but the delivery was awful. Didn't sound very sincere to me and he even joked while reading it, until the end when he tried to cry. He should have rehearsed that a few more times.
I missed the pre-game show and wondered if and how TC addressed it. What you report is very disappointing, of course.

Joking while reading his canned speech sounds as arrogant as Mark Grace, when he announced to a packed house at the D'backs legends game, "I'm back!"

'Just another millionaire jock who thinks he is above the law and the rest of us common folk. FU, Tom Chambers! :thumbdown

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I missed the pre-game show and wondered if and how TC addressed it. What you report is very disappointing, of course.

Joking while reading his canned speech sounds as arrogant as Mark Grace, when he announced to a packed house at the D'backs legends game, "I'm back!"

'Just another millionaire jock who thinks he is above the law and the rest of us common folk. FU, Tom Chambers! :thumbdown

Personally, I'd need to watch it myself before I jumped to all these conclusions. But that's just me.

sundevil04

Reaction score
Absolutely. Just because one is more common than the other, does not excuse it.

Agreed. Now call your local sheriff and tell him that. The punishment for a DUI with a BAC of .08, which for an average sized male is 3 light beers, is mandatory jail time, a suspended license followed by a year with an interlock and tens of thousands of dollars in fines etc. Meanwhile the punishment for something that been show time and time again to be more dangerous, texting and driving....oh wait its legal in AZ.

Not to diminish how dangerous drinking and driving is, but the hypocrisy of the way society looks at someone who had two or three beers and drives vs someone who writes a freaking essay on their phone while they drive is insane

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Does the same go for those that get behind the wheel and text while they drive?

Sure, of course. If I have to use my phone while I'm driving, I pull over, unless it's city driving and I can do it while waiting at red lights.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Personally, I'd need to watch it myself before I jumped to all these conclusions. But that's just me.
Oooh, subtle! I prefaced my concurrence to TheHopToad's post by by saying, "What you report is very disappointing, of course."

I took the word of a fellow poster who watched the pre-game show and shared it with us. To borrow your phrase, "But that's just me." Honest people trust others unless and until proven wrong.

If you are saying that his post is not to be depended upon, what did Chambers say and do in the pre-game show? And then I'll respond to that . . . perhaps. :)

Seriously, you bring up the whole point of researching every poster's comments before responding. I, probably as most posters, don't have time for that. ASFN is a hobby, not a vocation.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to diminish how dangerous drinking and driving is, but the hypocrisy of the way society looks at someone who had two or three beers and drives vs someone who writes a freaking essay on their phone while they drive is insane

Not sure of your point. When you endanger the lives of others with your behavior, you ought to go to jail. You kill or hurt someone while texting and driving I am sure you will.

Society is still adjusting to the texting and driving issue, since it is a lot more recent that drinking and driving. I am sure there will be huge consequences down the road.

There is one big difference. A person can text at a stop light etc and stop when traffic moves. A drunk person can't be drunk only at the light. I am not sure that is why the law is different, but it might have something to do with it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drinking and driving is bad enough and a mistake, dangerous, deadly and can ruin people's lives if they are lucky enough to survive.

Drinking WHILE driving is stupid, incomprehensible and takes away any claim that you are were unaware of your sobriety. It is callous disregard for human life, waving your junk in the wind and making sure you get that last 12 ounces in you because you simply can't wait until you get home. Open container is like DUI with an attitude.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are both horrible. Isn't texting and driving illegal, anyway? Should have the same type of punishments (cell phone kill device in car, etc) but it hasn't been an epidemic problem for decades with a strong lobby of survivors to push the issue. It will, and it will accommodate augmented reality, etc. But by then, we'll have the cars that drive themselves that Cadillac is testing now and it will all be good. Your own personal taxi.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
People have a hard time walking and texting let alone driving and texting. :)

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Oooh, subtle! I prefaced my concurrence to TheHopToad's post by by saying, "What you report is very disappointing, of course."

I took the word of a fellow poster who watched the pre-game show and shared it with us. To borrow your phrase, "But that's just me." Honest people trust others unless and until proven wrong.

If you are saying that his post is not to be depended upon, what did Chambers say and do in the pre-game show? And then I'll respond to that . . . perhaps. :)

Seriously, you bring up the whole point of researching every poster's comments before responding. I, probably as most posters, don't have time for that. ASFN is a hobby, not a vocation.

It has nothing to do with trusting other posters. I would never make judgements based on somebody else's interpretation and a strong judgement at that.