Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In all fairness, even (or especially) on this Phoenix Mercury site, it should be discussed as:

Brittney Griner and her fiancée, Glory Johnson, who is also an All-Star player in the W.N.B.A. ...

This was a case of two lovers moving into a new phase of their relationship being at odds. And getting into a fight.

Both were arrested. Not just Brittney. Because both were aggressors. Not a simple attacker and victim.

It doesn't make it right. Or admirable. But the headline on this thread is misleading to Phoenix fans.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Brittney Griner, Glory Johnson suspended 7 games for fight

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/st...uspended-7-games-for-domestic-violence-051515

---------------------------------

7 games is a huge chunk when you're talking about the short WNBA season.

Seriously, that is like 20% of their season.
I, too, disagree with the length of the suspensions.

Even though it applies to each player, perhaps it would have been less if the incident didn't involved two WNBA players.

Added to Diana Taurasi's season-off, go Mercury -- in 2016. But I will still follow and root for them this season.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TMZ: Griner and Johnson getting annulment

http://www.12news.com/story/news/lo...fter-couples-pregnancy-announcement/28571467/

Phoenix Mercury star Brittney Griner and wife Glory Johnson Griner announced Glory's pregnancy Thursday.

Just one day later, TMZ is reporting the couple has filed for an annulment.

12 News is working to confirm these details.

-------------------------------------

Look - we are fighting !!
Look - "we" are pregnant !!
Look - we are splitting up !!

So much drama. Sheesh.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
TMZ: Griner and Johnson getting annulment

http://www.12news.com/story/news/lo...fter-couples-pregnancy-announcement/28571467/

Phoenix Mercury star Brittney Griner and wife Glory Johnson Griner announced Glory's pregnancy Thursday.

Just one day later, TMZ is reporting the couple has filed for an annulment.

12 News is working to confirm these details.

-------------------------------------

Look - we are fighting !!
Look - "we" are pregnant !!
Look - we are splitting up !!

So much drama. Sheesh.
According to this article, it was Brittney who filed for an annulment.

Will we ever hear who the father of the baby is?

http://www.si.com/wnba/2015/06/05/brittney-griner-glory-johnson-annulment-marriage

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Brittney had a double-double in her first game back, but the Mercury lost by 15.

Our five players off the bench totaled 6 points. "Need to do better than that.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have a serious question. Seriously.

I don't follow the Mercury at all, so when i first heard Griner speak on the news the other day i nearly spit out my drink. "She" used to be a man right?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have a serious question. Seriously.

I don't follow the Mercury at all, so when i first heard Griner speak on the news the other day i nearly spit out my drink. "She" used to be a man right?
Seriously. She was born Brittney Yevette Griner. That is not the game that would be given to a boy.

Life was not easy for her as a child. She was bullied for not being like the other girls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittney_Griner

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glory Johnson wants $20K a month in spousal support from Brittney Griner

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/...nts-20k-month-spousal-support-brittney-griner

lory Johnson is seeking temporary spousal support and attorney fees from Brittney Griner, who petitioned to annul their marriage.

Court documents filed June 29 in Maricopa County, Arizona, detail Johnson's request that Griner pay $20,000 per month in spousal support, plus a $10,000 advancement toward attorney fees for Johnson's counsel.

An evidentiary hearing is set for Aug. 17 at Maricopa County Central Building in Phoenix in regard to Griner's petition and Johnson's counter-petition.

The two WNBA players were married May 8, after being involved in a domestic violence incident at their Arizona home April 22. Then Johnson, who plays for the Tulsa Shock, announced June 4 that she would miss this WNBA season because she is pregnant.

The next day, Griner -- a member of the Phoenix Mercury -- filed papers requesting the marriage be annulled or dissolved, saying she was "pressured into marriage under duress by Johnson's threatening statements."

In that June 5 petition, Griner said she was unaware when the in vitro fertilization resulting in Johnson's pregnancy had taken place. She said the marriage was "based on fraud" and that the parties had acquired "minimal community property and incurred minimal community debts during their three-week marriage." Griner and Johnson were engaged in August 2014.

Griner's petition said neither party was in need of nor entitled to spousal support and that both should be responsible for their own attorney fees. Griner's petition also requested, however, that she be awarded reasonable attorney fees if she had to defend herself against "unreasonable" claims by Johnson.

----------------------------------------

Someone tell Glory that this is an annulment and not a divorce. If an annulment is granted it is as if the marriage never took place. No marriage = no spouse = no spousal support.

#allaboutthebenjamins

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brittney Griner testifies in ugly divorce battle; Glory Johnson says she needs $20k per month

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...le-glory-johnson-says-she-needs-20k-per-month

WNBA star Brittney Griner was back in court Monday trying to convince a judge she should not have to pay alimony to her ex-wife, basketball player Glory Johnson.

Johnson is seeking $20,000 a month after her 28-day marriage ended with Griner.

In court, Johnson’s lawyers argued because she's pregnant with twins, via an IVF procedure she underwent while still with Griner, her doctor won't clear her to play basketball so she won't get paid.

Appearing by phone, Johnson said she's already in debt.

She's asking $7,000 a month for her food budget and $6,000 for hired help and the rest to live on.

--------------------------------------

Give me a break. :violin:

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
$7k a month for food is outrageous. Even if she is eating for two...
My family of 7 (4 teenagers) spends way too much on food at $1700 per month or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do these players not save any of the money they make each year? None of them should be hurting for money, IMHO.

BTW: I heard Glory is pregnant with twin girls. Too bad they are in the middle of all of this crap.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
They make their money overseas, the WNBA doesn't really pay all that much

I don't think either was living that extravagant a lifestyle, but probably enough expenses that when you dial back to $0 it has an impact

Not to mention I'm sure there is some spite in there as well

Probably why it's a good idea not to rush into having kids

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose