Per Adam Schefter: Cards reach a one year contract agreement with Mendenhall

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Sweet.

Liked him better then Reggie Bush, and will compliment Ryan Williams better as well.

And for only 1 year, like that too.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't get into this.. Former steeler.. And the things he said about 9/11 & Osama.. Wish we didn't sign this guy.. But yet another stupid move by the Cards this offseason.. Terrific..

Last edited:
OP
OP
pacman

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
@JasonLaCanfora:
Mendenhall should get plenty of work in AZ, and gets to test the market again at a younger age, always huge for RBs, where money is tight

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Darren Urban ‏@Cardschatter
Don't see why Ryan would give it up. RT @Clemme9k: @Cardschatter so whos getting #34? Mendenhall or Ryan Williams?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I just can't get into this.. Former steeler.. And the things he said about 9/11.. Wish we didn't sign this guy.. But yet another stupid move by the Cards this offseason.. Terrific..

Its a one year deal that we didn't blow our wads Stew Brad Style. Not sure why it can be considered stupid.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm good with this. He'll come in and have to prove himself since it's only a 1 year deal.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki
I was told Denver had offered a similar deal 1 yr deal w/ Mendenhall, he wanted 2 prove himself ths yr looking 4 a long term contract l8r.

OP
OP
pacman

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
I just can't get into this.. Former steeler.. And the things he said about 9/11.. Wish we didn't sign this guy.. But yet another stupid move by the Cards this offseason.. Terrific..
He's a solid running back I can't see why some people dislike the signing. He has averaged 4 yards per carry every season since his rookie year and has rushed for over 1,000 yards in 2 seasons. Plus he is only 24 and has a lot of upside. And yea I remember what he said about 9/11 but he apologized for it and acknowledged that it was a stupid comment.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a one year deal that we didn't blow our wads Stew Brad Style. Not sure why it can be considered stupid.

I really like the 1 year signing. Low risk, good reward.

Mendenhall can step in and hit the ground running from the 1st day.

Also, if RW steps it up, then perhaps he can be the RBOF and Mendenhall can be cut with no implications after this next upcoming season. But now there are a lot of uncertainties about RW.

I still think we will draft a RB in the 3rd or 4th RD and one next year as well.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I predicted this weeks ago. I told you guys Pittsburgh was Michael Bidwill's favorite team.

Next up Keenan Lewis or Will Allen.

:D

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has injury questions like Beanie.. Don't get the reasoning for signing him based on that.. When we had Beanie..

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
I'm good with this. He'll come in and have to prove himself since it's only a 1 year deal.

Kinda reason I wanted to retain Beannie since this was his year to show his worth.

With a one year deal for Mendenhall he should hopefully be able to do the same thing.

What's the deal with Mendenhall possibly being a head case?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like it, trading Beanie for Mendenhall, I think Mendenhall will be better than Wells this next year for us.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm 100% fine with this, and couldn't think of it any better way, really. We get a guy with experience in implementing this offense who is at least reasonably talented. If Ryan Williams can come in and show he's got what we drafted him for, there's no need to sign a new, experienced back, or extend Mendenhall. Additionally, we can draft a later round pick without the expectation that he needs to start for us and have an immediate impact, but he can maybe take over later if he shows he's got what it takes.

It's good to get off the schnide and have made a move. Now let's sign Stanton and Malaluga. (Then axe Kolb and maybe add a lineman.)

OP
OP
pacman

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
Plus you guys are forgetting Arians was the Offensive Coordinator for the Steelers while Mendenhall was there. I'm sure they already have some great chemistry.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Like this move. Still young, highly motivated to increase his value for next offseason, and comfortable in the offense.

Don't see anything to dislike about this low risk move.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
According to FootballOutsiders, Mendenhall was a worse back in 2012 than Beanie Wells: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

In 2011 he was just slightly better: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb2011

We released Beanie Wells on a one-year deal to sign Beanie Wells. Pretty great work by the front office.

For 2012 do those analytic's really work with such a small sample size, probably not.

Not to mention IMO a superior pass pro skill set compared to Wells, who is horrendous IMO.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
We released an injured RB and signed an injured RB. Not impressed with this move but since we created a hole we had to fill it. Let's hope he stays healthy and wants to prove himself.