Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 4-26-2022 - Game 5

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tired and stupid. Ugh.... Monty should be getting into someone's ass for letting cp down like that. But it kept happening. And it was the whole team.

I agree. This is why having another point guard(s) helping Paul out is important.

Paul shouldn't always have to bring the ball up the court.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be either/or. We saw what Cam Payne did in the playoffs last season against the Clippers in the WCFs.

He had a 29 point, 9 assist game with 0 turnovers.
We have also seen he isn’t the same shooter this season and that you can count the good games he has had on one hand since March.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take this for what it is. Booker and the bench were talking trash after the game and Booker shouted “I am back”.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Gotta love Book's trash talking after a win like that. Time to back it up on Thursday and send these boys packing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking playing the Pelicans first may be the best thing to happen to this team.

I have a lot of respect for the Pelicans. They are a talented and well coached team.

If the Suns can win the series it better prepares them for the rest of the playoffs.

They are a particularly bad match-up for Phoenix (length) and Booker being out doesn't help.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but didn't you imply it when you said
"You know if we win Thursday the NBA turns us around for Game 1 on Saturday."
No. I was stating that the NBA will screw us with a quick turnaround. Didn’t imply anything else.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’re gonna get killed on Thursday, but win in a squeaker on Saturday… and then roll the Mavs in 5.
I don’t think we get killed a lot of our guys finally hit some 3s I think all of them no? This game was a confidence builder for US! Guys are playing like we should sure Payne was careless but hit some shots and looked useful when not fouling. Holiday got some run so maybe Monty will use him more! Everyone saw the ball go thru the basket. They may just gotten the little boost of confidence they needed to start rolling again! That’s how I’m gonna look at it…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think we get killed a lot of our guys finally hit some 3s I think all of them no? This game was a confidence builder for US! Guys are playing like we should sure Payne was careless but hit some shots and looked useful when not fouling. Holiday got some run so maybe Monty will use him more! Everyone saw the ball go thru the basket. They may just gotten the little boost of confidence they needed to start rolling again! That’s how I’m gonna look at it…
I hope you’re right. This series is a freaking grind. Just feels like 7 to me. Mostly because I can see CP3 being a little gassed.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope you’re right. This series is a freaking grind. Just feels like 7 to me. Mostly because I can see CP3 being a little gassed.
Oh I think Monty will use Payne and Holiday again and actually try to limit Paul minutes so he can be fresh in the 4th. If guys can continue finding and playing their game we can win easily. It’s like people forget WE are the BEST road team in the NBA all season! **** we have a better road winning % than any team had at home! And I’m not even considering if Book is back or not that makes us completely different team when they can’t just attack Paul! Imagine if they didn’t have Ingram how good would they be? The Suns have not fallen apart they are just missing the MVP that’s all. Taken time to adjust but again this Pels team I think is better than most are giving them credit for, if they fielded this lineup all season they are competing for 3-5 seed easily! McCollum just came to the team late having two legit scorers completely changed their team and BI has blossomed. They may be a force if they keep that team together.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would hold true in this series. He has played differently every other game and it appears to be fatigue.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ok I've got a question. In the first half, we were helping CP bring the ball up, setting screens, giving him outlets. Then in the second half, when he was exhausted, we left him on an island. Can anyone explain this to me? It's really bothering me.
I found this baffling. We were clamoring for it before the game. Monty deployed it. It worked. Then we stopped doing it and Paul had a turnover and ended up exhausted.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am still in awe of Mikal's performance. How he manages to average so many minutes, never take a play off on defense, AND proceeds to drop 31 points, play outstanding defense while playing the entire game in just beyond me. That man is just not human.
and he looked like he could go a couple of overtimes with out missing a beat!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Forget talk of tortillas, bridges went full chimiCHANGA with extra spicy salsa tonight!!! Seriously his game at both ends tonight was out of this world.

Liked the twin towers, but weird Javale played only 9 minutes total all game.

Letting holiday do some ballhandling helped.

Man shamet was stinky.

Cam Johnson still isn’t blazing, but he put up some other stats tonight.

Solid game for Ayton. More to come.

Payne was jeckyl/Hyde tonight. But that’s better than just the Hyde we got from him first four games.

40 mins is a ton for Paul. Need book just to take some impactful court time from Paul. Oh and only an 11/1 assist/turnover ratio tonight.

Crowder played better tonight. Play well? Eh no. But better.

We are still a long ways from hitting on all cylinders. But at least a couple more started firing tonight.