Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday game thread 11-2-2021

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although the stats won't reflect it, Frank Kaminsky played good defense on Valanciunas.

Valanciunas still finished with 23 points and 14 rebounds.

I don't have the official tally, but I suspect most of Valanciunas' damage was done while McGee was in.

McGee, who normally hustles like a mad man, got caught standing around and watching a lot tonight, he didn't even pretend to close out on a couple open looks for V on 3 point shots. Paul feeding McGee some dunks in the 4th really woke him up though. That run he had in the 4th was about as fast as an NBA player can go from being a goat to a hero.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Grrrrreat. New ball issues? If it not broke, fix it!..I guess. Hope this isn't like the year they went to that crap composite material that all the shooters hated in the Nash hay days.
In the sense that the NBA quickly reverted back to using the old ball... I hope it IS like that year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This thread is looking like a few guys didn’t actually watch the game. The 4th quarter is making this look like it was a good game from us. Smh

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anything of value to contribute or just your general snarkiness?

I’ve been on this whole thread I didn’t see you until this game was over. That was about as bad a 3 quarters we have ever played including getting boo’ed by our home fans

McGee’s stat line looks great but that was one of the most bone headed performances I’ve ever seen and I love the guy.

You can’t look at the box score and say this was a good game. This team has a long way to go still

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’ve been on this whole thread I didn’t see you until this game was over. That was about as bad a 3 quarters we have ever played including getting boo’ed by our home fans

McGee’s stat line looks great but that was one of the most bone headed performances I’ve ever seen and I love the guy.

You can’t look at the box score and say this was a good game. This team has a long way to go still
“About as bad a 3 quarters we have ever played” Meanwhile the team was down all of 6 points through those 3 quarters. Sloppy ass game, sure, but not as bad as you’re making it sound.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And where did I say he had a good game? I said he scored well because he did, so did Frank. I even said I was surprised they did. How is that saying they had a great game, seriously? I even pointed out they didn't rebound very well compared to Ayton.

I missed the game, I never claimed I saw it. I didnt give any take outside of 2 playsrs scored well. Oh wait, I said I believe Shamet will improve also because someone questioned him getting off to a slow start this season.

So are you going to ignore this or try to deflect, either way you're trolling right now. There's no other excuse for your nonsense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And where did I say he had a good game? I said he scored well because he did, so did Frank. I even said I was surprised they did. How is that saying they had a great game, seriously? I even pointed out they didn't rebound very well compared to Ayton.

I missed the game, I never claimed I saw it. I didnt give any take outside of 2 playsrs scored well. Oh wait, I said I believe Shamet will improve also because someone questioned him getting off to a slow start this season.

So are you going to ignore this or try to deflect, either way you're trolling right now. There's no other excuse for your nonsense.

Oh no I totally agree with you that McGee and Frank are much better scorers than Ayton. It goes right along with your McGee is better than Ayton take.

Yeah it’s painfully obvious you just looked at the box score you could tell that from jump.

From now on I’ll just not respond to you if you think I’m trolling you. Deal?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“About as bad a 3 quarters we have ever played” Meanwhile the team was down all of 6 points through those 3 quarters. Sloppy ass game, sure, but not as bad as you’re making it sound.

Down 6 after having to claw back to even get it to that to a non playoff team missing its two best players.

I stand by that. This was UGLY especially the first half. You couldn’t have been watching that and thinking anything good.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't have the official tally, but I suspect most of Valanciunas' damage was done while McGee was in.

McGee, who normally hustles like a mad man, got caught standing around and watching a lot tonight, he didn't even pretend to close out on a couple open looks for V on 3 point shots. Paul feeding McGee some dunks in the 4th really woke him up though. That run he had in the 4th was about as fast as an NBA player can go from being a goat to a hero.

Second half, Monty realized that Frank was a better matchup against Valcuinas. Frank bodied him and is more of a banger than McGee is. McGee was more suited to guard Hayes.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He looked great in preseason. Disappointing since Booker returned though.

I always worry about backups like him who start for a short period because they struggle to adjust back to their normal role. That's why it's nice to have an extra player to cover as a starter while keeping the backup in their normal role, albeit with extended minutes. Oh well. I believe Shamet will come around.

Shamet has been seeing less minutes with the Suns than with previous teams. Also he's being attacked on defense, almost like the gameplan is to expose him. Maybe i just focus on him too much when he's in. It also could be an adjustment period since he's playing with all new guys.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure most of the damage done by Valanciunas was done against McGee as well.

Frank played great position defense and used his long arms to his advantage. The Suns would have been in trouble without him. This is taking nothing away from McGee but I think he tries to do too many things on the court which gets him in trouble. He mainly needs to stick to dunking, rebounding and defending the basket.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But it hasn’t been slow starts we’ve looked good early and got up big in a few games only to choke it away. It’s just giving an effort from start to finish
Agreed. We’ve given up some big leads.

That said, this season feels way worse than being at .500 after six games. So I think we are actually in a little better position than it feels like. After all, we were .500 further into the start of last season too.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most of the damage done by Valanciunas was done against McGee as well.

Frank played great position defense and used his long arms to his advantage. The Suns would have been in trouble without him. This is taking nothing away from McGee but I think he tries to do too many things on the court which gets him in trouble. He mainly needs to stick to dunking, rebounding and defending the basket.

Our second unit is putrid with Payton running things. I think that is why he tried too hard this game while he was with that second unit.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don’t think Frank played great defense at all but he’s not a guy who’s ever been known as a great defender. I even said in the 4th Jonas looked dead tired out there he was struggling to even run down the court. I think him gassing out was the biggest factor.

But Frank did carry the day and he deserves his shine. He won this for us

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Frank Kaminsky was the man. He stepped up!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah it was interesting, I thought frank did a better job than did McGee on valanciunus. It might be one of those odd scenarios where the athlete (McGee) can be faked off his feet (for blocks) by a more earthbound player where’s frank isn’t going to block shots so he stays grounded and in better position.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Devin Booker weighs in about the Wilson ball.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s interesting . . . and an enormous problem. And a weird one. There’s little to no reason why that should be the case. Wonder if that’s mental by book. Should be easy to test the theory - just weigh a bunch of them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Problems aren’t fixed. You don’t get pistol whipped by the worst active roster in the NBA for three+ quarters and feel the ship has been righted. This team has a ways to go before looking like a contender
As someone pointed out last night, we only got whipped in the first quarter. We outscored them in each of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters. Just felt like being whipped through three quarters due to the hole we dug ourselves.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with Paul but McGee has to step up and play more with Ayton out. He didn't even play that many minutes, Frank played 29 to JaVale's 19.
McGee is best on limited minutes. Extend his minutes and you get more of that goofy dribbling fiasco we witnessed.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGee is best on limited minutes. Extend his minutes and you get more of that goofy dribbling fiasco we witnessed.
I will say though that once Ayton is back and he settles into his role? He could have a big impact this season. He seems well equipped to continue pick and roll type plays on offense. Last year that inside part of our game went POOF when Ayton went to the bench. We should could have used some of that in the finals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our second unit is putrid with Payton running things. I think that is why he tried too hard this game while he was with that second unit.

I can't lay it all at the feet of Payton when the Suns were missing open shots.

IIRC, Payton made a couple of nice passes to Bridges who missed. Shamet and Nader need to carry their load as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Frank played great defense at all but he’s not a guy who’s ever been known as a great defender. I even said in the 4th Jonas looked dead tired out there he was struggling to even run down the court. I think him gassing out was the biggest factor.

But Frank did carry the day and he deserves his shine. He won this for us

I think Frank played great/good position defense or however you want to term it on Valanciunas. Otherwise he was scoring easily inside. Frank made him work for his baskets. The outcome would have been different without him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't lay it all at the feet of Payton when the Suns were missing open shots.

IIRC, Payton made a couple of nice passes to Bridges who missed. Shamet and Nader need to carry their load as well.
When Shamet was on the floor they were +8. Nader -5 and Payton -4. Payton and Nader on the floor together is scary.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson