Path to the draft....trades, rumors, etc

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Ronin, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I was watching some fantasy draft show on NFL Net last night and their draft ticker has us taking Waddle at 16! When they discussed him one guy said if you look at the early draft it looks like QB's, Pitts, Chase and then CB's are all going fast. Said we don't see the Cards getting the CB they might want and so they're either going to move down or take the best player on the board and at 16 that's probably going to be Waddle.

One of the experts said if you talk to people around the NFL, even at Alabama, there are people who will tell you they think Waddle is a better prospect than Smith because they're concerned about Smith's skinny frame. One guy said who cares nobody can get a hand off him coming off the LOS it won't matter. Same guy said Waddle is terrific but he was never as good as Bama expected him to be, and the other guy said well he was until he broke his ankle, 4 games 591 yards 4 TD's, 21 YPC, 5 catches over 40 yards including an 87 and 90 yarder, and remember he's one of the best punt returners in college in years and only had 2 his last year because they didn't want to risk injury to him, whoever drafts him in the NFL is almost certainly going to use him as a punt returner too.

So I do agree if the CB isn't there we're probably going to try and move down but as they all said we like Arizona already, if you put Waddle in that group with Hopkins and Green look out.

We still need a TE of course, and CB's but man a man can dream.

Shane, Ohcrap75 and QuebecCard like this.
  2. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

Waddle is probably a good fit here because he can play anywhere. Before the injury he was Mac Jones’ favorite target dating back to last year.

I believe Hop is the only WR under contract past next season along with Isabella. If Isabella wasn’t a body catcher he’d be great in the slot ala Welker.

Russ Smith likes this.
  3. BritCard

BritCard Registered

There's a lot more wrong with Bella than body catching. His ball tracking isn't good. His short space agility is crap for a small guy which means his route running is limited. His release isn't great. His sucky hands are just the cherry on top.

juza76, Ohcrap75 and FB94 like this.
  4. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

https://sports.yahoo.com/caleb-farley-says-nfl-doctors-090115892.html

daves, cardncubfan and Mainstreet like this.
  5. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

Give me Waddle and Freiermuth!!!

PACardsFan, Stout and Russ Smith like this.
  6. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

Albert Breer
    @AlbertBreer

One tell on people that haven't really watched Justin Fields play: Calling him a "runner". I'd say if anything most people who watched him at Ohio State would tell you they probably should've run him MORE. He played the position largely from the pocket the last 2 years.

7. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

8. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

9. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

10. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

I'm on fence with Farley.

Red flags would be why did he just have surgery when he did not play last year, how did he hurt his back? Doctors cleared him and while anyone can get hurt at any moment, how chronic are herniated discs in lower back? It would probably be more of a concern for OL & DL wrestling 300 pound men on every snap than DB's unless they are doing a lot of tackling.

Aside from that I would be okay with Farley at #16 assuming Surtain is not there. He is going to look like crap in training camp due to being out a whole year and not being able to work out because of surgery so even though he will be ready by training camp he will not be NFL game ready by start of season IMO so I wouldn't pencil him in as a Day 1 starter, maybe starting by midseason.

11. az jam

az jam Registered User

Agree, that he would not be a starter on Day 1. Cards really need to check out his back surgery if they plan to sign him. I like his potential but there are risks. Playing CB takes time to develop in the NFL.

12. tnmike

tnmike Registered

Since during the pandemic elective surgeries were cancelled or postponed, maybe he couldn't have it done ?

Ohcrap75 likes this.
  13. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

I would think elective would be more like cosmetic plastic surgery but if you are in back pain then I do not see why you couldn't get that fixed. I know people that have had surgeries they just needed to take Covid test first.

14. Ronin

Ronin The show stopper

Ohcrap75 likes this.
  15. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

He would instantly become my favorite player based on name alone.

Ronin likes this.