Pac-10 expansion will get earnest consideration

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not many... However, it seems that the Pac-10 is betting that there will be a meaningful number of viewers in the Denver market who would tune in to see CU play USC and/or UCLA. Same for TCU.
Again, this is being brought about because the Pac-10 is looking to expand. The Pac-10 is fighting a tough battle due to geographics. As we've all agreed, the west is simply a different place when it comes to college sports... But, if they are to expand, CU and TCU represent their best options... with a wink to UNLV of course. ;)

I certainly understand all that, my original point is that I think it is better to look at the actual University and it's fan support vs the number of people in the viewing area when it comes to added revenue for a conference.

Denver, as a revenue stream and potential viewing market for CU athletics and the conference it happens to be in, doesn't come anywhere close to living up to being the 18th largest market in the nation.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I certainly understand all that, my original point is that I think it is better to look at the actual University and it's fan support vs the number of people in the viewing area when it comes to added revenue for a conference.

Denver, as a revenue stream and potential viewing market for CU athletics and the conference it happens to be in, doesn't come anywhere close to living up to being the 18th largest market in the nation.

Can you name any western markets that do live up to the media ranking in terms of their college sports viewership?
Denver is not unlike Phoenix, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake...

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can you name any western markets that do live up to the media ranking in terms of their college sports viewership?
Denver is not unlike Phoenix, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake...

Probably not, but then I believe regional interest has more effect in college sports market share than raw population. Raw population correlates much more with professional sports, because to connect you only have to like the sport and be a citizen of the city, as opposed to the cultural and historical ties that go with college sports. When I lived in Phoenix, I became a huge fan of the Diamondbacks with no issues, but never considered rooting for ASU or UofA once.

I understand the desire for the PAC-10 to add CU, because who else are they gonna go for? They don't want BYU so it's Utah and "who"? However, I think Utah would bring much more to the conference than CU.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I'm sure boise won't get the invite, but with their coaches and pac 10 money, they could compete in football just fine. (They can play with oregon and oregon state just fine) Basketball is another story.

The boise valley is about 500k. still a ways to go and other mentoned schools would have larger tv markets, especially when the pac 12 has it's own tv deal.

Expansion is all about $$$

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure boise won't get the invite, but with their coaches and pac 10 money, they could compete in football just fine. (They can play with oregon and oregon state just fine) Basketball is another story.

Joining the Pac would be a horrible deal for Boise State because it would water down what they have going -- football -- for a few extra dollars. Right now you're guaranteed about 10 wins a year because you're that much better than everyone in your conference. You join the Pac and you're playing 8+ games a year against better quality -- and more road games against said competition, all of a sudden you're an 8-win team or even a 6-win team. What made you special isn't so special anymore.

Take it from an ASU fan who was here when ASU joined the Pac. Take your time and wait until you have to move. Then you'll be a commodity.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Joining the Pac would be a horrible deal for Boise State because it would water down what they have going -- football -- for a few extra dollars. Right now you're guaranteed about 10 wins a year because you're that much better than everyone in your conference. You join the Pac and you're playing 8+ games a year against better quality -- and more road games against said competition, all of a sudden you're an 8-win team or even a 6-win team. What made you special isn't so special anymore.

Take it from an ASU fan who was here when ASU joined the Pac. Take your time and wait until you have to move. Then you'll be a commodity.

Makes sense from the getting wins side, but it might help end the argument about our scheduling. We only have few non conference games to work with and play in a really terrible conference. Not many teams want to play us in the non conference. We do have va tech and Oregon state this year, so that should help, along with a pre-season top 5 ranking most likely.

I would prefer to move to the mountain west. At least they get top 25 teams regularly.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I would prefer to move to the mountain west. At least they get top 25 teams regularly.
Well, when/if Utah/BYU/TCU get plucked from the Mountain West, Boise State may get that opportunity...

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 teams?

One more team or five more teams? 12 team league or 16 team league?

Updated: March 2, 2010, 4:26 PM ET
Report: Right teams, more money

Advocates of Big Ten expansion now have a report to back them up.

An analysis prepared by a Chicago-based firm looked at whether the addition of five schools would generate enough revenue to make expansion worthwhile, according to the Chicago Tribune.

"The point was: We can all get richer if we bring in the right team or teams," a source told the Tribune.

According to the newspaper report, the source said the five schools evaluated by the firm William Blair & Company were Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Missouri, Syracuse and Rutgers, though others also could be considered.

The singular issue is money, and whether the conference's current membership would be able to earn more than the $21 million to $22 million it earns per school each year.

At the same time, the current Big Ten schools want to make sure they don't lose money if the conference expands.

"You just don't jump into the league and get a full share of what everyone else in this league has established over time," Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez told The Associated Press. "I think someone has to buy their way into the league."

The Tribune reported that according to sources, a Big East school joining the Big Ten would have to pay $5 million as a "loyalty clause" fee.

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has been a vocal supporter of expanding to 12 teams. And Alvarez sees expansion as a path toward the kind of football title game that keeps the SEC and other conferences on national TV and fans' radar after Thanksgiving, when the Big Ten typically begins a multiweek break before the bowls.

"You take a look at the championship week in December and we're non-players," said Alvarez, the former coach who led Wisconsin to football prominence. "We're irrelevant."

Alvarez and Ohio State president Gordon Gee both declined to answer questions from the Tribune.

Commissioner Jim Delany, who added Penn State to the conference since taking over as head of the Big Ten in 1989, responded to the Tribune's questions on expansion by saying: "This is not a quiet phase; this is a silent phase."

But among those not likely to join Penn State's efforts is Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, who told the Tribune in December that the Fighting Irish valued their independence, and that "our strong preference is to remain the way we are."

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds told the AP this week that Texas hasn't been approached by the Big Ten -- in spite of media reports to the contrary -- and is happy in the Big 12.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard